Music Radar Best DAW's 2020

cclarry

I used Cakewalk/Sonar for over 20 years. I was devastated when it went under. Then I found Reaper. I've never been happier with a DAW. You can create an environment that works just for you.  SO DEEP! I'm happy that Bandlab continues to developed  it, but Reaper is my world!

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

17 minutes ago, S.L.I.P. said:

I used Cakewalk/Sonar for over 20 years. I was devastated when it went under. Then I found Reaper. I've never been happier with a DAW. You can create an environment that works just for you.  SO DEEP! I'm happy that Bandlab continues to developed  it, but Reaper is my world!

Reaper ftw.

Glad to see CbB because even when free still has relevance to some.

Very fair list and I understand why some chosen above Reaper.

I liked to see Pro Tools fading into oblivion, as I was gonna compare it to Adobe's rent to NEVER to own scam, I mean, ahem, scheme, but Adobe has at least good quality (as in nothing beats Photoshop).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I liked to see Pro Tools fading into oblivion, as I was gonna compare it to Adobe's rent to NEVER to own scam, I mean, ahem, scheme, but Adobe has at least good quality (as in nothing beats Photoshop).

Other than Photoshop from 5 or 10 years ago... They clearly have the 'B' team (at best) doing the PS and Illustrator development these days. They introduce new bugs faster than they stamp out old ones, which isn't saying much since there are well-documented bugs that the users have been complaining about for years. But there's no time to fix old bugs (or improve stability) when there's exciting new features to develop that no one ever asked for -- like a spellcheck in Illustrator. 

But I'm completely down with you re. the $600/yr "designer tax". A merry go round I can never get off, without losing the ability to access anything I've created in the last decade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Reaper ftw.

Glad to see CbB because even when free still has relevance to some.

Very fair list and I understand why some chosen above Reaper.

I use #1, #2, and #4, and of course #8 so am happy with the poll results.

When Adobe went subscription, I started using Synfig, GIMP, Corel PSP, and Inkscape and haven't looked back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.L.I.P. said:

Reaper is one heck of a tight small download program.  I just never seemed to gel with the program.   Now I know I used the word "Gel" S.L.I.P. so don't go crazy on me now with one of your famous images  😆

• Like 1

It tells me who reads this magazine or at least votes on the polls.  My personal favorite is still ProTools because it is easy for me.  Sonar used to be my second, but now it goes between Studio One and Cubase.  At least half the people I talk with on various boards love Reaper.  Yet FL Studio is at the top.  I don't know hardly anyone who uses FL Studio.  How do they decide this?

7 hours ago, John Bradley said:

But there's no time to fix old bugs (or improve stability) when there's exciting new features to develop that no one ever asked for

This sentence has so much significance for many software out there!

• Like 1

You can't really believe this crap. I can come up with at least 100 other articles where the order is all over the map. The best DAW is the one you actually KNOW in and out and aligns with your workflow to get the job done in the most fastest and efficient way. The rest is just BS.

• Like 4

I believe that it's a list of the best DAWs according to their readership, or at the very least the people who took the survey - that may or may not correspond to someone's personal workflow, but it may help people new to the field, or just give some awareness to other DAWs.

• Like 1

I'm going for a studio job which requires me to have knowledge of Pro Tools. I used it 20 years ago in a studio environment... never liked it. Now I'm having to relearn it all....still don't like it.

I hate that Pro Tools is still industry standard.

1 hour ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I'm going for a studio job which requires me to have knowledge of Pro Tools. I used it 20 years ago in a studio environment... never liked it. Now I'm having to relearn it all....still don't like it.

I hate that Pro Tools is still industry standard.

In reality, it's good to know more than one DAW. I'm proficient in 5 of them and I'll pick one over the other depending on the material I'm working with or feel that's best suited for the particular project. The reason Pro Tools is still the standard is that they invested a ton of money in the hardware. And probably they never bothered to learn a new DAW.

• Like 1