External insert question

jono grant

Hi, I'm using external insert to send to a compressor and back.

I've sent from outs 3 & 4 and return on ins 3 & 4 of my UAD Apollo.

Why is the stereo interleaved input not visible on the track I want to record to in Cakewalk?

I'm able to choose the mono tracks 3 and 4 and record them. Why not the combined, interleaved inputs? They become unavailable.

Thanks

Jono

Edited by jono grant

17 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@jono grant - can you post a screen shot ?

So, the send and return are set to 3 & 4 outs, but I can only select mono inputs if I want to record the signal back to another channel.

Also, it's reporting zero latency if I push play. That doesn't seem normal either. Perhaps I'm using it incorrectly?

Thanks

Jono

external insert.jpg

1. When you set your return inputs on the external insert, they're "used up" by the external effect chain, so you can't use them as an input on another track.  You could create a send to an aux track though, which would achieve the same result.

2. To measure latency, you need to have a signal going through and then click the Delay Measurement box (where it says *0ms, 0 samples).  It's best to have your external effect on bypass to ensure accurate measurement.

More info here:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?help=Mixing.32.html&language=3&product=SONAR X2