Microsoft RETAIL Windows 10 PRO for $39

Robert Bone

1 hour ago, abacab said:

The link in the OP appears to be dead now...

Yup - Great while it lasted - I picked up 3 of the licenses, used 1 so far.

Thanks, for letting me know - I updated the initial post, as well, to indicate this is all concluded, and no longer active. :)

Bob Bone

FWIW - If you had a valid Windows 7 Pro license (or similar), then you can still upgrade for free.  You just need to have a Windows 10 Pro .iso file (which is very hard to find now).  Needless to say, I happen to have one for v1903 which we're still using to legally upgrade a lot of our clients (the most recent was just tonight).  

One more note, if you want better security, ever want to attach your computer to a domain (and not just a workgroup), want some control over when Windows decides to install an update, or use Remote Desktop, then you'll want the Pro version over the Home.

I grabbed another 2 earlier on this morning, I was looking at how longer it said the deal would be up for and thinking, get them now or latter, lucky I decided now.

Oh, and thanks for alerting us ti this in the first place Mr Bone 👍👍👍

Edited by ensconced
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, craigb said:

FWIW - If you had a valid Windows 7 Pro license (or similar), then you can still upgrade for free.  You just need to have a Windows 10 Pro .iso file (which is very hard to find now).  Needless to say, I happen to have one for v1903 which we're still using to legally upgrade a lot of our clients (the most recent was just tonight).  

One more note, if you want better security, ever want to attach your computer to a domain (and not just a workgroup), want some control over when Windows decides to install an update, or use Remote Desktop, then you'll want the Pro version over the Home.

I got all the ISO's going back to 1511 I think it is.

and they are still available, at least from 1809 to present to download from 'software-download.microsoft.com', it's just a matter of how you get there, the links change every so often.

7 hours ago, craigb said:

You can always download the Win 10 Media Creation Tool directly from Microsoft which will allow you to put the latest Win 10 .iso (2004) on USB flash, or DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you upgrade a Win 7 Pro machine, you are entitled to Win 10 Pro. Or else from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home.

56 minutes ago, ensconced said:

No good if you want a previous version though. It use to be that if you kept the MCT from X version, it would allow you to download/Create and ISO of X version, now all you can do with MCT is get the latest no matter what version of MCT you use.

Yes, that seems to be true.

That's why it is always  a good plan to download and squirrel away a good .iso version before MS releases the next latest thing. That's been a twice yearly event, Spring and Fall. I'm running the latest (2004, patched thru July) and it appears stable so far.

• 3 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 11:07 PM, Robert Bone said:

on your earlier question about possibly upgrading from Home to Pro - there is really nothing much with Pro, for non-business use, that would be of any real benefit to upgrading for.

The standard version of Windows 10 is actually Windows 10 Home edition, and it's aimed at home users. Windows 10 Pro is just like like an extension to Home in terms of size, features and price. Both can work across desktops , laptops, and tablets, and both of them come with Cortana- the virtual assistant, Edge Browser, Touch Compatibilty with options to switch to tablet layout (Continuum), Virtual Desktop and support for Windows Store apps. Here are the features that are only available in the Pro version: Domain Join, Group Policy Management, Bitlocker, Enterprise Mode Internet Explorer (EMIE), Assigned Access 8.1, Remote Desktop, Client Hyper-V, and Direct Access.  

Group Policy Manager is the big plus for me with the Pro edition. That is the easiest way to get complete control of Windows update, such as notify but don't download. There is also a policy that can be enabled to prevent driver update installs via Windows update. You are probably better off going directly to the hardware manufacturer's site to get those driver updates.

There are many other useful policies as well. Just a couple of clicks to set them up as desired, and no need to hack the registry. Easy to revert policies if you wish, as it keeps track of the ones that you have set.

Also Bitlocker encryption is handy if you store any personal or financial records on your PC. Your drive would just be a brick to anyone that stole your PC or laptop.