Microsoft RETAIL Windows 10 PRO for $39

Robert Bone

UPDATE - I had warned of my purchased license failing to be seen by Windows, as a valid license. That greatly concerned me, because I had started this thread, and a bunch of folks purchased the Windows 10 Professional retail license.

Sooooooo, it turns out everything us FINE, after all. (Yay)

I had done some digging into it, and saw that, for clean installs of Windows 10, it might take some amount of time for Windows to decide that the clean install was not authenticated, and it is only at THAT point, and thereafter, that Windows 10 will allow one of these purchased Win 10 Pro licenses can be entered.

Sure enough, last night, Windows 10 put up a notification, that when opened, said that the installed Win 10 was not authenticated, and at the bottom of that window, there were two links: 1) purchase license, and 2) enter a different Product Key.

THIS time, my purchased license, from this PC World deal, worked like a champ, and I am now showing as an authenticated version of Windows 10 Professional,  and all is well.

Bob Bone 

• Like 5

Great news Bob. Thanks for the update.

I knew it was all good. PC World has been around a long time. I have never thought of them as rip-offs.

And believe me, I doubted the price at first. $39 for a real, full version of Win10....Pro? MS would never allow that!!

But....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Great news Bob. Thanks for the update.

I knew it was all good. PC World has been around a long time. I have never thought of them as rip-offs.

And believe me, I doubted the price at first. $39 for a real, full version of Win10....Pro? MS would never allow that!!

But....

Well, one never knows - all I knew, was that I would have felt REALLY horrified, if the deal I had repeatedly promoted, had resulted in a bunch of folks getting SUPER pissed, that they could not use those purchased license - ME being one of them.

So, yeah, I am QUITE relieved to find that it worked perfectly, after all, and it just needed to be done per Windows internal logic, on its determination of whether or not an installed version of Windows 10 was legitimate, or not. 

All good, indeed.  A fantastic deal, truly.  I now own 3 extra licenses for future needs for installation and authentication, of Windows 10 Profeesional, from this PC World deal.  I am so relieved that this all worked.  WHEW!  :)  :) :) 

Bob Bone

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LasWaltz said:

Surprise. 40 bucks ain't a bargain anymore. Just in case it helps anyone else. Do an open search before buying this one 

I typed in " How much is Win 10 Pro" and I got a few hits on a lower price. Yep. But from sites I never heard about, and I probably wouldn't buy anything from them. 

Digital Portal - $19.99

SoftwareMax- $59

G2A.com - $30.38

Best Buy (with Curbside Pickup!) - $199

Buymicrosoftwindows.com - $99.50

Kinguin.com - $32.35

Sweetwater - $139 (Best price I found from a known dealer)

I have read PC World off and on for many years. Since I started computing back in '97. That's why I even considered this deal. Because if it's below $99, be sceptical. Start looking around the site before you buy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LasWaltz said:

I fell for this one...

And then I though of just searching what the current price is.

Surprise. 40 bucks ain't a bargain anymore. Just in case it helps anyone else. Do an open search before buying this one O.o

I am actually quite happy with my purchase of multiple Windows 10 Professional full retail version licenses, from PC World.  I have been a subscriber of theirs, for many years, and I completely trust the integrity of their site, and purchases made.

I don't consider myself as "falling for this one" - I consider myself very happy with their content, and certainly with this deal.  If you think a deal offered by another site is a better deal, well, good luck - truly.

I just thought this was a great deal, and I had immediate use for two of the multiple licenses I purchased.

Best of luck with anybody who finds a better deal from some other site, and of course, from THIS site. :)

Bob Bone

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grem said:

I typed in " How much is Win 10 Pro" and I got a few hits on a lower price. Yep. But from sites I never heard about, and I probably wouldn't buy anything from them. 

Digital Portal - $19.99

SoftwareMax- $59

G2A.com - $30.38

Kinguin.com - $32.35

I have read PC World off and on for many years. Since I started computing back in '97. That's why I even considered this deal. Because if it's below $99, be sceptical. Start looking around the site before you buy.

Yep. That's what I went for it without more research. Just bringing the attention for those more tight on the budget.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grem said:

Digital Portal - $19.99

SoftwareMax- $59

G2A.com - $30.38

Kinguin.com - $32.35

I haven't shopped at Kinguin any time recently, but used them many a time 2012 - 2014 without issue. They predominantly deal in game keys, and as such were one of my preferred merchants when seeking out cheap game prices.

This 2018 post on their blog explains the reason behind their low prices:

https://www.kinguin.net/blog/howkinguinworks/#:~:text=On Kinguin%2C sellers who bought,%2C advertising%2C support%2C etc.

16 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I am actually quite happy with my purchase of multiple Windows 10 Professional full retail version licenses, from PC World.  I have been a subscriber of theirs, for many years, and I completely trust the integrity of their site, and purchases made.

I don't consider myself as "falling for this one" - I consider myself very happy with their content, and certainly with this deal.  If you think a deal offered by another site is a better deal, well, good luck - truly.

I just thought this was a great deal, and I had immediate use for two of the multiple licenses I purchased.

Best of luck with anybody who finds a better deal from some other site, and of course, from THIS site. :)

Bob Bone

I bought a few licenses last year from ebay for less than 5.00. Even though it didn't seem legit I gambled and they both worked. After that experience  I decided I would rather spend a little extra from a more reputable dealer and be sure about it. I think those ebay licenses were from some kind of a group license scheme.  As I mentioned, I was into buying the OEM s because they are basically a "builder's" OS and I had not seen the need to spend 199.00 for a pro version. There are limitations to that though and now I recommend that builders should probably look for a copy of Pro if they can swing it or find a deal like this. Especially if you wanted to work remotely or play with linux on the same hard drive. My price for three pro licenses was less than a single retail copy of Win 10 Home. Not bad at all.

I upgraded one DAW computer from win 8 to win 10. Also went from 32 bit to 64 bit in that upgrade. Even though everything worked ok I kept finding this extra code baggage that stayed around. I didn't get the feeling it was as smooth as it could have been coming from a clean install. I really didn't want to have to find and re register all of my software and plugins again. I am in the same predicament now.  Should I just keep using win 10 Home until my next build or attempt an update? I'll probably be jumping off the cliff and give the update a shot......I mean, you have no idea how much time it would take to attempt a clean install which isn't really the problem. Main issue is loading all of those programs and software again. Could take a week seriously. I have 4 large SSD drives and my C drive is up to the gills in data. I just had an idea. Maybe I'll use Acronis and make an image of my setup. The image alone is probably over a terabyte but seems like a much better solution. 

I'll keep you posted. I might need a few drinks to work up the nerve to do this.....just kidding...I think.

Beware of Win10 Pro copies that are ridiculously cheap.

The codes are often pirated.

BTW, This can even happen with what looks like a fully legit copy.

You can purchase a copy of Win10 off Amazon/etc... that comes in a fully "legit" package (MS disc/code/seal)... and find out the install key has been pirated.

Even though the package is legit, it's useless.

If you call MS, you'll be told it's not their problem... contact the seller.

If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Beware of Win10 Pro copies that are ridiculously cheap.

The codes are often pirated.

BTW, This can even happen with what looks like a fully legit copy.

You can purchase a copy of Win10 off Amazon/etc... that comes in a fully "legit" package (MS disc/code/seal)... and find out the install key has been pirated.

Even though the package is legit, it's useless.

If you call MS, you'll be told it's not their problem... contact the seller.

If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is

Exactly - I do trust PC World, however, and have been a subscriber for years, and I can verify that one of the licenses I bought from this $39 deal, did in fact work properly.  (I bought 3 licenses, and have only used one of the three, thus far).

I wouldn't even think about buying a discounted license from Amazon or Ebay, or most other unknown sites, though.

Bob Bone

I hear you both on this. Probably should not have done it. The computers weren't worth enough for me to consider paying even an OEM price to upgrade. I think the way they got around it was offering licenses that were a part of a larger package, such as an institution that has some kind of a blanket license. Just a theory of mine. There seem to be different ways MS addresses foreign licensing as well which are more lenient than in the US.In my case everything lined up with Microsoft. Could have just as easily gone the other way. I have seen these licenses for as little as 3.95.  Need to read the fine print too because sometimes the offer is highly misleading. I wouldn't be buying from the same people who are offering Cubase for 25.00 ;) I'm not into cracks at all, even if I think Cubase is over priced for what it is.

1 hour ago, Starise said:

I would rather spend a little extra from a more reputable dealer and be sure about it.

Exactly.

Should I just keep using win 10 Home until my next build or attempt an update?

Unless you really need it Tim, if it were me, I'd hold off. I built my new machine about 4 - 5 months ago and there are STILL quite a few programs that I have yet to install. Band In A Box is the biggest. It takes a while!! Remember back in the day with XP you could do a full clean re-install in an afternoon, and be working on projects by night time!!

Maybe I'll use Acronis and make an image of my setup. The image alone is probably over a terabyte but seems like a much better solution. 

Just make a backup image of you system drive. (That can't be a Terabye, is it?!!!) Then upgrade, see how it goes, and ya got a bkup if things don't work out. Some programs may give ya a hick up and you will have to re-authorize (looking at you IK!), others you may need to un-authorize then re-authorize. But I would think it should be fine just upgrading the OS. Not really changing any hardware. But if that won't work, I'd wait.

I am hoping this new build takes me over the next 7 - 8 yrs like that last one did (thanks Jim!!)

36 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

I do trust PC World, however, and have been a subscriber for years,

I trust them also.

38 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

wouldn't even think about buying a discounted license from Amazon or Ebay, or most other unknown sites, though

Nope, not even. Friends have asked me about that and I always tell them I don't do it, and I advise not to.

• Like 2

@Starise - on your earlier question about possibly upgrading from Home to Pro - there is really nothing much with Pro, for non-business use, that would be of any real benefit to upgrading for.

Just hang on to the license for some new build - I picked up these licenses, simply because they were for $39, and that is quite a bit bit cheaper than the regular price for Home.

Bob Bone

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Exactly.

Unless you really need it Tim, if it were me, I'd hold off. I built my new machine about 4 - 5 months ago and there are STILL quite a few programs that I have yet to install. Band In A Box is the biggest. It takes a while!! Remember back in the day with XP you could do a full clean re-install in an afternoon, and be working on projects by night time!!

Just make a backup image of you system drive. (That can't be a Terabye, is it?!!!) Then upgrade, see how it goes, and ya got a bkup if things don't work out. Some programs may give ya a hick up and you will have to re-authorize (looking at you IK!), others you may need to un-authorize then re-authorize. But I would think it should be fine just upgrading the OS. Not really changing any hardware. But if that won't work, I'd wait.

I am hoping this new build takes me over the next 7 - 8 yrs like that last one did (thanks Jim!!)

I hope you get squared away ok. After someone has been in this awhile a person tends to build up a bunch of stuff....especially coming around here. With a new build  we have to decide what we want to keep and what we might not need. For me I try to keep everything. I mean, I bought it to use. Nothing is so bad I don't want it. :)

Honestly everything is working ok. . Might be over a TB. My system image setup in Acronis looks at everything. Not just my C drive.  I would only need C drive and it's an image of my older setup.That's just insurance though. It won't help me upgrade my OS.

It's probably not that bad really. One could maybe argue how "clean" an upgrade install is compared to a fresh install. After awhile an OS gets loaded up with all kinds of erroneous left over code here and there from various installs and normal operations. Most don't notice it because the OS mostly ignores it.. A clean install would probably be best overall, but man, I think I'll delay that a bit for now.😨 I need to mentally prepare for this. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 9:12 PM, Robert Bone said:

GREAT news!  They are keeping this deal going, through July, too.

I am sooooooo stoked for those who were able to take advantage of this crazy 80% off sale price.

Bob Bone

The link in the OP appears to be dead now...