Microsoft RETAIL Windows 10 PRO for $39

Robert Bone

50 minutes ago, Kal S said:

Any idea that, if there is no deadline on activation, then what might this be referring to:

Extended Download Option: $3.95

More info24/7 secure access to your store order, always find the latest version of your software, plus all updates, for 2 years from purchase and the ONLY way to access your order from the store post-order

Has anybody availed this till now?

Actually, this extended download option is a bit of a joke. All this gives you is the ability, for an extended period of time, to download the Microsoft Media Creator from the PCWorld store. The joke is that the Microsoft Media Creator is available any time from Microsoft, and does not even contain the final media you need to install Windows 10. Microsoft Media Creator downloads Windows 10 from Microsoft and either creates an ISO that can be burnt to a DVD or a bootable USB flash drive that can be used to install Windows. In this case, the extended download option is a waste of $3.95. I suspect that this option is available for all their software purchases. In some cases, it makes senses. In this case, it does not.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

So now that I got Win10 Pro running. Which are the configuration and registry hacks to get the system optimized for Audio recording?

I've never had to go crazy,  even on modest machines.  The solid set of standard advice here will get most people most if not all the way there:  https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I've never had to go crazy,  even on modest machines.  The solid set of standard advice here will get most people most if not all the way there:  https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

yep - very little need to do much on Win10

worth checking the power options - and put everything on full :) or at least set up a power profile that sets everything to max.  Cubase/Nuendo set up a profile for you if you use that.

Depending on the BIOS you might want to do some more (non win10 specific) adjustments.

(personally) I turn of c-states and lock the CPU to max frequency.  Rather contentiously I also switch off hyperthreading too......(YMMV).  I run my audio cards at 32 sample buffers.  At this low level hyperthreading leads to worse performance (especially in cubase)....anything over 64 samples and probably best to leave hyperthreading on.

You'll notice some software gets annoyed if you have hyperthreading off - PA for example will need to be re-authorised as it things you are on a new PC !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fwrend said:

Great free info here from a musician - Glitch Free

I have never gone through the disabling Nagle's Algorithm, or the Spread Spectrum - maybe check LatencyMon's post-monitoring report, to see if you have things in your system causing DPC Latency spikes that would interfere with the streaming audio processing that DAW software uses, such as Cakewalk, before embarking on disabling those two sets of settings.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

Great deal! Thank you!
I just upgraded from Win10 Home to Pro quickly and smoothly.

So I think I understand how this works but just want to run it by more knowledgeable people:
I'll probably buy or build a new computer sometime next year and from what I've read I can transfer this license to the new computer since the license is a retail version and not OEM. But you'd have to remove the license from the old computer first and there's some process for doing that. Does that sound right?

That sounds right to me.

Just be ready to go when they get their new licenses, they said 'limited new stock' so they may sell out quick, but what 'quick' and Limited' will be is anyone's guess. I'm going in for another one, in hind sight I should have got it when I got the other one.

JUNE 30 - NO WINDOWS 10 CODES - PLEASE READ

Sadly we've completely exhausted our stock of Windows 10 Professional (and Home) codes as part of our June offer.

The good news is, check back July 1 as we're expecting an extension to the offer and limited new stock.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

I'll probably buy or build a new computer sometime next year and from what I've read I can transfer this license to the new computer since the license is a retail version and not OEM. But you'd have to remove the license from the old computer first and there's some process for doing that. Does that sound right?

be prepared to jump through microsoft hoops to make this happen - fingers crossed you will be lucky, but I've spent hours on the phones with them before over this exact issue.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Great deal! Thank you!
I just upgraded from Win10 Home to Pro quickly and smoothly.

So I think I understand how this works but just want to run it by more knowledgeable people:

They changed the licensing to make it account based a few years ago now. All you really have to do is sign in with your Microsoft account once you build the new computer and it will move the license over to the new computer and register it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and here is this from the comments section on the purchase page for what it's worth.

Jonathan Zighelboim, 28 June 2020

Pros: Great price

Cons: None

I have a question, is this key tied to the same computer that it was installed on, or can I reinstall it on a different computer if the original computer dies?

software.pcworld.com Reply:

As it's a retail code, once it's in your Microsoft Account (through the original Windows 10 activation), you should be able to then migrate to another PC later, login with your account and activate (this will then disable your old PC)

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - August 05 - this deal is STILL being offered by PC World - I just snagged 3 more licenses, (2 last night, and 1 this morning), because of friends that bought pre-loaded new PC's from stores, only to find out the hard way, that they came with OEM versions of Windows 10, that do not allow for transfer to a different computer.

So - now, they can use these $39 licenses, instead of the $199 it would have cost for them to buy a license elsewhere.  Wahoo!  (2 of the 3 I just got are for friends, and I am keeping the 3rd for myself, plus I had gotten one for me, back in early July)

Anyways, it looks like this sale runs through the whole month of August - REALLY a good deal.  The purchase generates a full retail license key for Windows 10 Professional.  I suggest NOT adding on the 2 optional add-ons, which are for 2-year access to download, and the other is for a prepared DVD to be sent.

The reason I suggested skipping the add-on purchases, are because that 2-year download access is not to download Windows 10, it is to purchase 2-year download access to download the two files for which the purchase gives download links that are good for either 30 or 60 days.  Those two downloadable files are 1) the Windows 10 Install Guide PDF, and 2) the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

When you purchase the Windows 10 Pro license here, you use the Media Creation Tool to prepare a copy of Window 10 Pro, on either a USB drive or DVD, and then during installation, you would use the purchased license.

Enjoy, I still am :)

Bob Bone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 1:19 PM, simon said:

worth checking the power options - and put everything on full :) or at least set up a power profile that sets everything to max.  Cubase/Nuendo set up a profile for you if you use that.

FWIW, I did that with Studio One and Reaper (win 10 machine) and the performance did not improve (I did numerous tests when I was obsessed about this issue for a couple of weeks a while ago). Both DAWs seem to be optimized for the standard settings. And, just by the way, Reaper is a beast in the efficient use of your existing resources, recommended if you have a machine that's not super capable...

I always used the Win 10 OEM versions on my new builds. Never had any issues concerning DAW work. The OEM was usually less expensive and I figured all I needed was a basic version to run the DAW. A few of my other computers were win 7. One older laptop I almost never boot up and an older DAW build that wasn't being used.

I managed to use the win7>win10 free upgrade for those older computers. A link that was supposed to have been dead two years ago still worked. Old hardware, new software. I don't intend to update those two computers any more.

The most recent  two are  Win 10 Home. One a laptop the OS came factory installed. The other a build  I installed the OEM OS myself.  I almost passed on this again but then I started thinking that a few things had changed. I might want to work on my DAW remotely. Also Win 10 Pro seems to allow a few more audio tweaks. Mainly though I began to consider  the ability using the Pro version to keep a serial # for life. That could potentially save a lot of money in the future.......so I bought 3 licenses. One for each existing Win 10 home setup and one more for a future build. Thanks Robert!!

I am guessing I can use the SN I get to update the home versions to pro in both computers. I really don't want to start from scratch with either of those. The other SN I planned to simply hang onto for the next time I need it. I had a few questions I couldn't answer. Can I make one ISO ( from Microsoft) on my usb thumbdrive for  all clean installs? I'm guessing I can update the others online?  If I work in my DAW remotely  I guessed I would  obviously be limited to the sound card in my controlling machine? When my two pro installs eventually die I'm not sure how to transfer the SN to a new computer? If I don't have the numbers on file apart from the computer I might not have access to them  if the computer dies. Would I go to Microsoft to make a transfer? Maybe they associate the number with different hardware at that point?

6 minutes ago, Starise said:

I always used the Win 10 OEM versions on my new builds. Never had any issues concerning DAW work. The OEM was usually less expensive and I figured all I needed was a basic version to run the DAW. A few of my other computers were win 7. One older laptop I almost never boot up and an older DAW build that wasn't being used.

I managed to use the win7>win10 free upgrade for those older computers. A link that was supposed to have been dead two years ago still worked. Old hardware, new software. I don't intend to update those two computers any more.

The most recent  two are  Win 10 Home. One a laptop the OS came factory installed. The other a build  I installed the OEM OS myself.  I almost passed on this again but then I started thinking that a few things had changed. I might want to work on my DAW remotely. Also Win 10 Pro seems to allow a few more audio tweaks. Mainly though I began to consider  the ability using the Pro version to keep a serial # for life. That could potentially save a lot of money in the future.......so I bought 3 licenses. One for each existing Win 10 home setup and one more for a future build. Thanks Robert!!

I am guessing I can use the SN I get to update the home versions to pro in both computers. I really don't want to start from scratch with either of those. The other SN I planned to simply hang onto for the next time I need it. I had a few questions I couldn't answer. Can I make one ISO ( from Microsoft) on my usb thumbdrive for  all clean installs? I'm guessing I can update the others online?  If I work in my DAW remotely  I guessed I would  obviously be limited to the sound card in my controlling machine? When my two pro installs eventually die I'm not sure how to transfer the SN to a new computer? If I don't have the numbers on file apart from the computer I might not have access to them  if the computer dies. Would I go to Microsoft to make a transfer? Maybe they associate the number with different hardware at that point?

I just emailed the product keys to myself, and they are safe, as long as Yahoo is in business.

• Like 1