Microsoft RETAIL Windows 10 PRO for $39

Robert Bone

What is the difference between the Retail and the OEM version?

The latter I believe is tied to a machine once it has been installed and cannot be used on another one. Does Retail allow reinstallation on a new machine?

5 minutes ago, Kal S said:

What is the difference between the Retail and the OEM version?

The latter I believe is tied to a machine once it has been installed and cannot be used on another one. Does Retail allow reinstallation on a new machine?

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Carlos said:

Why do I need the PRO version? Thanks.

It's easier to control updates. I have pro on my DAW and it notifies me when updates are available. On my laptop I say I have a metered connection so it won't download on it's own, but I have to remember to update.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dzilizzi said:

You can still get it but it upgrades to home only.  Used to be Pro had some additional options when running updates that home didn't have.  I'm not sure if that is still the case. 

The free update to Windows 10 should upgrade to the version that you have already installed or for which you have a Product Key.  So if you are upgrading from Win7 Home, for example to Win 10, you can only get a free Win10 Home upgrade. A paid upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Win10 Pro is typically $99.00 from Microsoft. You can upgrade from a currently installed Win10 Home to Win10 Pro on a machine by entering the Pro Product Key in the appropriate location.

https://www.lifewire.com/upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-4178259

50 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

The free update to Windows 10 should upgrade to the version that you have already installed or for which you have a Product Key.  So if you are upgrading from Win7 Home, for example to Win 10, you can only get a free Win10 Home upgrade. A paid upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Win10 Pro is typically $99.00 from Microsoft. You can upgrade from a currently installed Win10 Home to Win10 Pro on a machine by entering the Pro Product Key in the appropriate location.

https://www.lifewire.com/upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-4178259

I do need to check this on my one Win 7 Pro computer.  I haven't upgraded it yet.  I was thinking of turning it into a Hackintosh but have been too busy. 

14 minutes ago, Dzilizzi said:

I do need to check this on my one Win 7 Pro computer.  I haven't upgraded it yet.  I was thinking of turning it into a Hackintosh but have been too busy. 

FWIW you can still upgrade from win 7 pro to win 10 pro for free - direct with microsoft (google it !)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Windows 10 is much much better than Win 7 so I can't see any reason not to for 99.99999999% of users

• Like 2

Cleverbridge is used by a lot of software companies for distribution, but also has a pretty busy page on the Better Business Bureau site. The usual problem with cheap versions of Microsoft software is that it is either cracked outright or is an OEM/Volume license that is being sold in violation of the original license. This is being advertised as "the official retail version of Windows 10 Professional." That seems doubtful given the price. It will doubtless activate and run on your machine, but if you are worried about moving it to a new MB or machine, it is probably wise to check.

Would anyone who has activated using the Product Code supplied by Cleverbridge please perform the validation test described here, and report the results?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-windows-10-product-key-is-genuine-or/04089c52-f1b3-4661-9904-81a570286ec5

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, simon said:

FWIW you can still upgrade from win 7 pro to win 10 pro for free - direct with microsoft (google it !)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Windows 10 is much much better than Win 7 so I can't see any reason not to for 99.99999999% of users

Initially waiting to see if everything was compatible on my other computer. My old desktop (circa 2010?) was being told it wasn't upgrade-able and my studio computer ended up coming with Win 10 Pro.  So I was waiting to see if everything worked before deciding what to do with this much newer computer (2017).  but no problems, 

So, maybe update and see if the Hackintosh works.  Otherwise see if I can link it to my current studio computer. 

Windows 10 Pro allows for Domain use   Home edition doesn't. 

Clever-bridge is a reputable company that has been around for years distributing software.  They deal with schools, colleges and universities with software distribution. I purchased my Windows 7 and 8 OS from then and now I'm getting additional versions of Win 10 Pro for my new build.   I was very hesitant to do a new build because of my Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8 .1 for free, and I don't have the old 8.1 license any longer. 

But now, it's all gravy baby!!  I just purchased 2 copies of Windows 10 Professional from this this post.   They are saved to USB drives along with the license  and I will use them when I am ready.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Windows 10 Pro allows for networking, 

Home edition doesn't. 

Not totally true.  I have used Add Network Location to add access to a different computer's drive on the network.  Though the computer I added the location to is 10 Pro, the drive is on a 10 Home location.  

I have been unable to network my 2 10 Pro computers easily.   I really miss Homegroups. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Windows 10 Pro allows for networking, 

Home edition doesn't. 

Are you sure about that?  Do you have a credible source?

I know that Home edition does not allow joining to a domain. However, I am pretty sure you can still share and access network resources.

Let me say that properly.

You are not allow to join a Windows home computer to a domain.

Also, Windows home does not have Bitlocker Encryption

They can't be controlled by an inbound request for  Remote Desktop,  however,  you can Remote out to another computer

'You can't delay the Windows updates for more than a few hours.

2 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

Would anyone who has activated using the Product Code supplied by Cleverbridge please perform the validation test described here, and report the results?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-windows-10-product-key-is-genuine-or/04089c52-f1b3-4661-9904-81a570286ec5

Mine says Retail and Licensed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:29 PM, Christian Jones said:

Is that free Windows 10 upgrade a lot of us used no longer available?

It still worked back in December. I've been putting off a "clean" install (did the "in place" upgrade).
As this was OEM Win 7 home to Win 10 Home, I'm all over a $39 upgrade to Retail Pro.
If I'm going to go to all the trouble of a clean install, it makes sense to start fresh with Pro.

Thanks!

tom