Microsoft RETAIL Windows 10 PRO for $39

Robert Bone

UPDATE August 10 - Deal seems DONE - Finished - All Through

I got this from PC World - 80% off of a regular RETAIL not OEM version of Windows 10 Pro $39, instead of the $199 normal price, available through the PC World web site:

PC World Windows 10 Pro Retail $39 through June 30

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Deal No Longer Active
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Hmm... I'm planning on building a new machine in the near future. Any thoughts on the legitimacy of this site (I'm unfamiliar with it)

PC World has a huge readership...so I doubt that they would promote, and be in cooperation, with a "scam" company,
but stranger things have happened

• Thanks 1

Coming up as $79.00 AUD, typical! I think I will stick with my plan to register my free Windows 10 upgrade from 7 (through media creation tool) in my Microsoft Account and then reinstall it after the guts upgrade.

Edited by Tezza

36 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Why does the OP title say Microsoft Office?

Sorry my tablet's  auto-wreck added Office I had not typed it, and just edited the subject to remove it. Sorry.

And PC World is quite reputable and has been around for a long while. I am likely picking one up later tonight, as I would like to fix up a currently dead desktop that had an OEM Win 10 Home, so new hard drive and $39 yup, time to fix up the desktop and send to a couple of friends that cannot afford a computer. :)

Bob Bone 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

That is really nice of you doing this Bob.

Well, they are a young couple, trying to make a go of it, and I have been online friends with them for several years now, and I already have 3 functioning music production computers, and I was given that one by the owner of it, when the hard drive crashed, and they didn't want the chassis - even though I explained it could be resurrected with just a new hard drive.  (I did spring for the new hard drive - a 512 GB SSD, for my friends), so happy to help them out. :) 

Bob Bone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Why do I need the PRO version? Thanks.

For most people the answer is probably BitLocker to encrypt your hard drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-10-home-vs-pro

Edit: Another comparison here:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2952408/who-needs-windows-10-pro-5-reasons-to-upgrade.html

Edited by Pseudopop
Added a link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Is that free Windows 10 upgrade a lot of us used no longer available? Because I bet it is 

You can still do it, but you get a functionally reduced version of W10. Not full functionality.

I did it recently on a ancient laptop with W7. It worked but you cannot change settings, you cannot tweak the system....unless you pay for the upgrade.  So I rolled back to W7.

This may be because that particular laptop had an OEM version of W7 Pro. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Philip G Hunt

11 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

You can still do it, but you get a functionally reduced version of W10. Not full functionality.

I did it recently on a ancient laptop with W7. It worked but you cannot change settings, you cannot tweak the system....unless you pay for the upgrade.  So I rolled back to W7.

Not true, or at least that wasn't the case when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Win 10 Pro through that upgrade path that was "officially" shut down but not really. I and everyone else I know on here who used that free upgrade got a fully functional and full version of Windows 10 Pro same as retail. The trade off was that you forfeited/exchanged your Windows 7 installation/serial for the Windows 10 Pro installation and once you went through with it there was no rolling back to your old Windows 7. You must have used a different path or they've since neutered it. I did it about a year ago. 

Edited by Christian Jones
Though if you imagad your Windows 7 before going through w/ it you could be back on Windows 7 that way, but your W7 serial would be dead
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I got this from PC World - 80% off of a regular RETAIL not OEM version of Windows 10 Pro $39, instead of the $199 normal price...

Thanks Robert for this.  I'm still on Win 7U on my main computer and don't want to go anywhere else, but I feel I won't be able to hold off 'progress' for ever.

So I picked up this offer more as insurance for the future when I'll finally give in.

I've alread upgraded my laptop to full Win10Pro (from U) recently, and still for free, to get used to Win10 but I don't use it much.  I don't like the feel of Win10 any more than I do my very recently acquired first smartphone (android) .  Feels like I'm opening myself up to a world of abuse and can't do anything about it.

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1