No audio on specific track

Zac Travis

We've got a really odd behavior happening with a vocal track in a project. After applying some effects, then saving, closing, and reopening Cakewalk, this track no longer plays. It shows the waveform and all looks good, but its individual VU meter doesn't show any activity. We disabled the effects, one at a time, and discovered that one of the effects appeared to be the problem. So, we jotted down our settings for that effect, then removed it from the track, re-applied it, and then it worked fine. However, the next time the project was opened, the same track had the same problem. This time, it was a different effect than before. Same process worked to get it producing audio again, but it's just annoying as all get-out. Any ideas?

EDIT: All effects we're using are the ones which are included with the default installation of Cakewalk.

Edited by Zac Travis

I think we might be using the pro channel for some things on that track, but the effects which appeared to cause the problem were just brought in from the FX chain thing. Could be related, though. I'll do a bit more testing in that area and see whether it makes a difference. Thanks!

Edited by Zac Travis

I am pretty sure some of FX Chains bundled with CbB depend on plug-ins that are not included with the product. They were built using SONAR and many of the plug-ins bundled with SONAR are not included with CbB.

Looking at my FX on the track, I do have one plug in that we added, which is the SoftTube Saturation Knob. Aside from that, we have applied the Deesser, Compander, Doubler, Tube EQ, Sonitus Compressor, and Telephone Vocals. These are all from the FX Chain Presets folder that was created when we installed Cakewalk, which leads me to believe that the program came with them.

We've also got the Console Emulator turned on from the Pro Channel. The first time that we had the problem with the vocal track not playing after restarting Cakewalk, it turned out that the Tube EQ was the problem. We deleted it, added it back, and all was well. Then we saved, closed, reopened again, and that same track was out again. This time, deleting the Telephone Vocals got it back. It just seems like an arbitrary and painful problem to have.

9 hours ago, scook said:

I am pretty sure some of FX Chains bundled with CbB depend on plug-ins that are not included with the product. They were built using SONAR and many of the plug-ins bundled with SONAR are not included with CbB.

Could that be why we get the message every time we open a saved project that the plugins we used could not be found? It's another annoyance, but the FX work just fine, despite what the message states.

109145577_Missingplug-insmessage-Cakewalk.png.5ceb5ef0e295e94052722794546080cf.png

14 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Can you be specific about which FX chains cause this issue?

From a discussion I remember several months ago, the list of FX chains that use plug-ins that long-time users of SONAR have that are not available to CbB-only users is sizeable. There was a post (later removed) that listed FX chains that "didn't work," but IIRC the original version of the list made it seem like the FC chains themselves were broken for everyone, as opposed to the FX chains distributed with CbB not working for users who didn't have the underlying plug-ins.

If you have access to deleted posts, I can point you to the thread that had the original list. (I am not sure if I saved a copy of it).

I stumbled onto the distinction because one of the posts in the thread listed chains with z3ta+ fx as not working which I have used for years and still worked under CbB.