Scaler2 and Cakewalk step recording

I'd like to use Cakewalk step recording and Scaler2 to create ostinato patterns easily.

I can route Scaler2 midi  to a target Midi track by assigning midi track input to Scaler2.  And successfully record Scaler2 output, with single note key press in Scaler2 producing multiple note chords or chord assigned single notes in the target midi track.

But step recording seems to grab it's input directly from the midi controller keyboard rather than the input that is associated with the target midi track.

My goal is the results I get in the previous successful Scaler2 recording,  but processed by the step recorder .  What I end up with is the step recorder processing the keys I am pressing on the midi controller, as though Scaler wasn't involved.

I have not yet explored using an external midi router app.

I can capture midi in Scaler2, but those notes are not tidily laid out as 1/16s with identical note duration.

Just wondered if anyone else has wandered the step recording path and might be able to offer some insights.

Thanks 

Edited by Steve Harder

I've only briefly scratched the surface with Scaler 2 but from what I've seen and heard on the Scaler website it seems you can probably get what you're after from within Scaler itself, using the Performance features or maybe the Arpegiator.  Have you tried either of those. Cakewalk captures that midi  ok.

Anyway, I gave a quick try to using Step Sequencer and you're right, it only captures the midi notes you play and not the output from Scaler. 

I've only got a few more days of the Scaler demo left and no resources to purchase so I wont be much help. Try the Scaler website for tips on getting what you want from the program.

Steve 

15 hours ago, Steve Harder said:

I'd like to use Cakewalk step recording and Scaler2 to create ostinato patterns easily.

I can route Scaler2 midi  to a target Midi track by assigning midi track input to Scaler2.  And successfully record Scaler2 output, with single note key press in Scaler2 producing multiple note chords or chord assigned single notes in the target midi track.

But step recording seems to grab it's input directly from the midi controller keyboard rather than the input that is associated with the target midi track.

My goal is the results I get in the previous successful Scaler2 recording,  but processed by the step recorder .  What I end up with is the step recorder processing the keys I am pressing on the midi controller, as though Scaler wasn't involved.

I have not yet explored using an external midi router app.

I can capture midi in Scaler2, but those notes are not tidily laid out as 1/16s with identical note duration.

Just wondered if anyone else has wandered the step recording path and might be able to offer some insights.

Thanks 

I can also confirm that step record does not record the MIDI notes from Scaler 2 but rather the keys pressed on the controller.

I also tried recording an Arp from Scaler 2 with it set to DAW sync and found that the timing drifted after a few bars with respect to the Cakewalk metronome.
I see a timing drift fix in a previous version but maybe there's more work to be done in that area ( https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/scaler-2-latest-version-updates/3542 ).

At the moment the most reliable way to capture MIDI from Scaler 2 seems to be the internal record then drag/drop.  I managed to capture an Arp in Scaler 2 and then drag/drop it to Cakewalk. There are glitches at the note change boundaries (maybe my bad keyboard skills) but these are mostly fixed using the Cakewalk Quantiser.  EDIT: Actually I just discovered Playback Quantise in the Scaler 2 Settings menu which solves the glitching issue. Is that an alternative that might work for you?

Edited by ZincT

Thanks, I'll try the Playback Quantitize.

I think Scaler 2 has saved me a lot of money.  Now I've been spending most of my time with my owned libraries, discovering tons of new paths for composition.  And not spending time pondering purchase of new libraries with the hope that they will kick start new ideas.