New Beginnings

Cookie Jarvis

I share your sentiment in music. They're my kind of chords. So that's the positive side. The finish, however, is  muddied/muffled. There are all kinds of VSTs out there and youtube mixing and mastering tips to help your comps become  masterpieces but at the moment it's not working with my ears. Perfection in the art of music doesn't exist: it's an eternal learning process so please keep working at it as you are on the  right track :) 

What's your mastering chain? Generally I listen on Bose cans and really can't see into a mix.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:20 PM, Cookie Jarvis said:

quick master of the final mix so not etched in stone

Today I'm on the Babyface and DT990's; your master is "muffled" at best.
I hate being critical without offering advice, I'd take a hard look at the chain...

t

Listening through my A7's it sounded good for a quickie, but with the phones it does sound really muddy. Here's another take on the mix-

The only problem I've found is I listened on my laptop with and without Waves Maxaudio, sounded ok, just quieter with Maxaudio off. Neither one of these mixes will be on the album, just something to share composition-wise. First mix I made the mistake of sending my Epic Toms track to the Drums buss with the regular drums. That buss  has two sends...one is a compression buss and the other is a reverb buss...the Epic Toms on the reverb buss really whoooooooooooomped the mix ;)

Bill

I love mix issues!!

But first, cool chord progression and the thing does have a vibe. I loved the outtro fade part!

Maybe two questions? 1) what are you using for the bass - it sounds like a bass synth drone of some type? I can't pick out a bass guitar. The always-present bass note is sucking mix headroom away from the sparkly bits like guitars and those upper strings and the cymbals.

2) The drums are sounding over reverbed, like they are in the very back of a large room. You might try an experiment where you cut the room size of the reverb in half. And add some predelay. Any better?

You will get some good advice 'round these parts! But you are starting with something worth polishing . . .

cheers,

-Tom