The end of Bootcamp?

So apparently Apple had decided to move away from Intel, and all that that entails. 

For that small group who have been using Cakewalk and other native Windows applications on Apple hardware this is an issue, but maybe even more so for those who have invested $$$$$ in amassing an Apple studio if everything needs to be re-coded in order to be upgraded in the future. The demands of real time audio may make some kind of translator or virtual machine to graft old Apple onto future Apple impractical. 

Meh - Instruction sets for ARM vs. x86 are very similar , especially when compared to the old powerPC chips and current IBM Power. At least with ARM, byte order is the same, not the big-endian vs. little endian thing that went before.  I expect some specialty apps that rely on the very specific specialty  X86 or x64 instruction set (Like  the AES encryption offload) will require refactoring -and actually expect Apple will have both ARM and x86 systems systems on the market for a while.  

A Hypervisor/VM on ARM to run X86 is not really a tenable solution as the processor still would not have the instruction set for the VM to access.

But then again, Apple is about the worst for suddenly abandoning users. And so Cakewalk running on a Mac booting Windows will not be a possibility. For a DAW on a mac - Pro-tools or Logic or Garbage band will be the way to go. 

One of the very large video shops I work with is Windows exclusively, in their case because the performance of Windows SMB just absolutely spanks Apples' version of the protocol for throughput performance - we're talking a factor of 5x or more faster

Edited by StudioNSFW

When I bought my 15" refurbished 2013 MacBook Pro I decided to not go with Bootcamp. At the time I just did  not want to go that far to CbB on my Mac when I could just go over to the PC and use it. Especially since Studio One Pro 4.x is now my go to DAW. That is installed on both machines.

12 hours ago, StudioNSFW said:

For a DAW on a mac - Pro-tools or Logic or Garbage band will be the way to go. 

Or....

Digital Performer

Mixbus/MIxbus 32C

Studio One Pro

Reaper

I have all of those installed on both Mac Catalina and Win 10 Pro along with Pro Tools (Mac/PC) and Logic (on the Mac).

Edited by Bapu