User Friendly (or, thoughts while in quarantine)

Lynn Wilson

Hello to all my friends!  Hope you're all staying healthy and putting your time to good use.  Here's my latest opus on the Coronavirus, done with the help of my good friend Roger Fife on bass.  It's still very new, so I'm open to all suggestions.  As always, thanks for your help and observations.

It can be found here: https://soundclick.com/r/s8d34x

Remixed 6/12/20:  Moved guitar from 70L to 50L, and moved piano from 30R to 50R.  I also lowered the volume on the bass a bit.

Edited by Lynn
  • Like 3

Hi Michael, it's good to hear from you.  Thanks for your kind response, especially about the lyrics!  I know what you mean about the guitar solos being off to the side, but I was looking for separation from the keyboards, so there they are.  It's not set in stone so thanks for your observation, who knows where it will end up.

10 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

That's a cool song Lynn - I always enjoy your vocal. I think I agree with Michael regarding the lead guitar sections when you're not singing - perhaps pan them to the center. Besides that, I think the mix is quite good. 

Thank you, Douglas!  You're not alone about the guitar panning.

6 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Mix works OK here though the Guitar is a panned a little extreme.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Wookie!  There seems to be a consensus about the guitar panning.  It's not so unusual if you've heard "Sunshine Of Your Love" by Cream ;)

On 6/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, mark skinner said:

Lynn , very good job .  Kept my interest and enjoyed it to the end. As far as the lead panning , I normally pan a lead slightly to the right, always have and sounds normal to me. Nice guitar work , Enjoyed it ..  mark

Mark, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!  I love your work.

18 hours ago, Mahavishnu said:

Yes, centre the guitar and keyboard a tad closer and you're there! :)

Mahavishnu, I remember hearing an orchestra by that name in the 70's.  After hearing your stellar work, I'm pleased to hear your comment.  I guess I just like to take advantage of stereo like they did in the day when it was new.  I'm always looking for a cure ;)

This is really a cool song Lynn.  The lyrics are indeed "excellent" and well thought out.  I love the pace or perhaps better defined, the timing between the lyrics, melody, and instruments.  Excellent vocals BTW.  Great lead guitar work and the bass adds a lot also.  I grew up listening to Blues, early R & B, and 1960's garage band music.  There were a number of records (remember them?) that came out that demonstrated some interesting panning during that time.  (e.g., Long Grey Mare by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac  --- guitar panned hard left, bass panned hard right, blues harp and vocals in the middle).  So, given my history of listening, no your panning of the guitar doesn't bother me.  My criteria is does it sound good or not and that of course is contingent on taste.

• Like 1

Mixes are like elbows. Stuff sticks out sometimes, other times it's tucked in.

Cool tune, kinda noir-ish in a way. I'd say the guitar is fine - just lower the bass and the piano!  

When you get that crushed compression on the vocals, in spots it's a bit too cooked for my taste, but usually it works great - that's a great vocal performance by the way.

c heers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Lynn
I'm still trying to figure out what the lyrics are all about, but I like it when I can't. Just have to go back and listen again and pick up another clue.
I did notice the guitar panning but didn't think about it much since you have the other instruments situated so well in the stereo field. Nice choice of intruments too - gives the song a fuller sound. Love the guitar which accompanies the vocal really well. Great job Lynn.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Mixes are like elbows. Stuff sticks out sometimes, other times it's tucked in.

Cool tune, kinda noir-ish in a way. I'd say the guitar is fine - just lower the bass and the piano!  

When you get that crushed compression on the vocals, in spots it's a bit too cooked for my taste, but usually it works great - that's a great vocal performance by the way.

c heers,

-Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for replying!  I just began wondering about the vocal compression, too.  I think I need to turn down the compressor a bit, and maybe the bass and piano, too.

17 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Lynn
I'm still trying to figure out what the lyrics are all about, but I like it when I can't. Just have to go back and listen again and pick up another clue.
I did notice the guitar panning but didn't think about it much since you have the other instruments situated so well in the stereo field. Nice choice of intruments too - gives the song a fuller sound. Love the guitar which accompanies the vocal really well. Great job Lynn.

Bjorn, thanks for your kind words!  Back story:  I have some millennial friends that are suffering in isolation, and this song arose from their difficulties in coping with being in lockdown.  Much to write about these days.

Lynn,
Fine tune overall, really like the changes; well done. Very topical, another plus.
Would I mix this a bit different, yeah I'm thinking my mix would be much different.
Am I "right" and your mix is "wrong"? No, no-no, no-no, no!

Dropped a "like" over at SounClick.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:09 AM, Lynn said:

open to all suggestions

I'll hold the "like" here for the final mix....

t

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Lynn,
Fine tune overall, really like the changes; well done. Very topical, another plus.
Would I mix this a bit different, yeah I'm thinking my mix would be much different.
Am I "right" and your mix is "wrong"? No, no-no, no-no, no!

Dropped a "like" over at SounClick.

I'll hold the "like" here for the final mix....

t

Tom, I appreciate your comments and time.  I did remix this just now, and I put the guitar at 50% L and the piano at 50% R to give each channel some balance of energy.  I also turned the vocal compressor down for a bit more clarity (I hope).  I find all the comments helpful, especially because my ears aren't as sharp as they used to be.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:06 PM, Lynn said:

consensus about the guitar panning.  It's not so unusual if you've heard "Sunshine Of Your Love" by Cream

Also the Beatles and many bands when they only had 2 or 4 tracks.  It is your track and your mix for me it just felt like it pushed it outside of the mix which is why I mentioned it.

7 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Also the Beatles and many bands when they only had 2 or 4 tracks.  It is your track and your mix for me it just felt like it pushed it outside of the mix which is why I mentioned it.

Yes, of course you're right about the fact that they  had limited tracks.  I did remix this song and pushed the guitar to 50%L and the piano to 50%R to pull the parts together, I hope.  Do you think it's still too wide?  I don't mind playing with this mix.  Thanks for your time!

• Like 1