Softube Amp Room

cclarry

Well I have updated Windows 10 to 1903 and it says it's up to date, but also says I can download and install 1909 if I want, but I thought I would just stay there for now. I tested Amp Room in Studio One again, still the same, then I had a thought and instead of adding it to a track with my Guitar chain alread present, just add it to a blank track, it loaded quickly and behaved itself CPU wise. So I added it to my regular guitar track again and started going through and turning off the other plugins on that track 1 by 1.

It turns out that it doesn't seem to get along with Waves SSL Channel, if I switch it off CPU use drops about 25%, switch it back on CPU use jumps up about 25%, repeatable over and over again. Then I had another thought, as usual my guitar tracks are mono, so I use the Mono version of the SSLChannel plug, so I switched it out for the Stereo version of the SSL plug, CPU use behaves itself, disable the stereo plug and enable the Mono version, CPU jumps up again.

Messed around with the 'L Stereo R' input thing at the top of Amp Room and different Mono/Stereo SSL plug, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

So as long as I use the Stereo version of the Waves SSLChannel it's all good. Strange.

No that's not it.

Edited by ensconced

9 hours ago, ensconced said:

Well I have updated Windows 10 to 1903 and it says it's up to date, but also says I can download and install 1909 if I want, but I thought I would just stay there for now. I tested Amp Room in Studio One again, still the same, then I had a thought and instead of adding it to a track with my Guitar chain alread present, just add it to a blank track, it loaded quickly and behaved itself CPU wise. So I added it to my regular guitar track again and started going through and turning off the other plugins on that track 1 by 1.

It turns out that it doesn't seem to get along with Waves SSL Channel, if I switch it off CPU use drops about 25%, switch it back on CPU use jumps up about 25%, repeatable over and over again. Then I had another thought, as usual my guitar tracks are mono, so I use the Mono version of the SSLChannel plug, so I switched it out for the Stereo version of the SSL plug, CPU use behaves itself, disable the stereo plug and enable the Mono version, CPU jumps up again.

Messed around with the 'L Stereo R' input thing at the top of Amp Room and different Mono/Stereo SSL plug, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

So as long as I use the Stereo version of the Waves SSLChannel it's all good. Strange.

No that's not it.

I suggest you disable OpenGL Graphics. I just got the Tubech complete collection and even though Reaper showed minimal cpu usage the project was slow as hell. I disabled the OpenGL graphics and et voilá, now task manager says Reaper isn't using power at all (and I have a 1050 GTX dedicated graphics card).

Maybe this will work on your system too for the good.

11 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I really hope the next Studio One update is efficiency related.

Do I know how/if they can do it? No I do not 😂

I sold s1 Pro 4 because of performance issues and stayed with Reaper

Edited by Carlos
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I really hope the next Studio One update is efficiency related.

Do I know how/if they can do it? No I do not 😂

i kinda lost hope ....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I already tried disabling the OpenGL graphics option, didn't make any difference for me, apart from being uglier. After more lengthy testing things I can honestly say I have no idea other than Amp Room is just CPU intensive. I originally thought it was fine in REAPER, but no it's the same for me going by REAPER's performance monitor. Not that it's unusable, but I would say 3 or 4 instances at a time would make it so.

I will leave it there, I have all the amps available separately in their original releases at least, and they all behave well, so I am thankful for that.

First plugin I can recall having issues with, bummer.

Now that I have Windows is up to date, at least support might look more favorably upon it, we shall see.

• Like 1

Sell your account.

I was just thinking of selling my S-Gear 2, but it's the same as far as I can tell, no resale allowed. But with S-Gear, I can more easily change the details of my account on the S-Gear site, Name, Email Address etc, not so easy to change that self identifiable stuff on the PG site if memory serves me correct.

Edited by ensconced
  • Like 1

Here is what you have to do to change your Email for your PG account, it's basically creating a new account then contacting PG and they will transfer over your licenses. You could just create a generic email like PGaccount243@gmail.com, see if you can get away with changing your name if that concerns you or is indeed needed.

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005025783-How-to-Change-My-Email-for-My-Account-

Edited by ensconced

2 hours ago, ensconced said:

I already tried disabling the OpenGL graphics option, didn't make any difference for me, apart from being uglier. After more lengthy testing things I can honestly say I have no idea other than Amp Room is just CPU intensive. I originally thought it was fine in REAPER, but no it's the same for me going by REAPER's performance monitor. Not that it's unusable, but I would say 3 or 4 instances at a time would make it so.

I will leave it there, I have all the amps available separately in their original releases at least, and they all behave well, so I am thankful for that.

First plugin I can recall having issues with, bummer.

Now that I have Windows is up to date, at least support might look more favorably upon it, we shall see.

Um, I found probably the issue of your problem:
The Core i7-4790K is still based on Intel's fourth-generation Core architecture, codenamed Haswell. It's still built on the same 22nm process, and it has the same HD Graphics 4600 onboard GPU at the same clock speeds.Jul 31, 2014

Mine is a 7th generation, plus a dedicated video card.
I feel your desktop/laptop is holding you back at this moment (6 years  old system).
My laptop is a 7th generation, and even though I feel it's great, sometimes I feel I need to either get better ram or just plain simple get the best new system I can.

I run all the same amps outside the New Amp Room without even breaking a sweat.

Way above Amp Room System requirements

Mac OS X 10.12 or newer (older OS versions may work but are not tested).

Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10.

Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.

Screen resolution 1280x800 or larger.

8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space. Specific information available on each instrument's page).

Softube account.

iLok account.

Internet access for downloading installer and managing licenses.

iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).

In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.

Edited by ensconced

I have no issue running it, it just uses far more CPU than any other equivalent Amp Sims, and as I said earlier I can recreate a chain from a preset in the new Amp Room, outside it using the same amps, but replacements for the FX etc with equivalents, plus with a lot more plugs in my regular guitar track template and it's 25% CPU lower for basically the same thing, just outside the new Amp Room.

an example, I just loaded up a blank project, inserted 12 tracks, each track with Amp Room inserted with the 80's pop rhythm preset loaded, so that's 12 instances, no problems what so ever, and it reads only <5% CPU more than 1 instance does on it's own in my regular Template.

I've tried recreating template from scratch,  no good. Tried to find if it's not getting along with other plugs in my templates, but like with the SSL above, it seems like you have found it then . . . NA, try again. I'll just leave it, like I said I have all the Amps outside anyway, and they are fine, I got heaps of FX so that's no problem. Don't want to keep chasing my tail with this.

Vst 3 will benear zero cpuif no audio passes threw it ... be. Sure to compare tracks with audio in.  An empty template will not give the truth unless you got some audio .

i have a 4790 s also at 3.6 and amp room is near 20 % in studio one while outside a.ps barely reach 7 % marshall being near 9 if i reçall well 

Yeah, Amp Room is around %20 here as well, when say BIAS FX 2 is around 3%, Kuassa A360 around 6%, depends on what patch is loaded of course. My own are usually single amp with chorus. delay, flanger, phaser at the most, any other FX, comp, EQ etc are outside any Amp Sim for me. When I tested a similar chain outside Amp Room using the same Amps, Studio Ones Splitters and replacement FX units and came in at around 20% or whatever less than the Amp Room chain, well I'll just stay outside it.

I just hope any future amps they release are available outside Amp Room like the Marshall's and Eden and Vintage, Metal and Bass are now, and not just kept within the Amp Room ecosystem, that could be a bummer.

I still think there is something going on with Amp Room at least regarding Studio One, and am hopeful it may change in the future. But it doesn't matter, I still have the Amps outside, and that for me is the main thing, I just love those amps.

Edited by ensconced

Yeah, computers, they have a mind of their own. I have all the PG stuff BIAS Amp 1/2 BIAS FX 1/2, BIAS Pedal, the Pro Series Comps and EQ's, never had a problem with any of them, except for wishing they would add some features, but performance and everything, no issues.

I guess it comes down to the sheer amount of configs you can have with different hardware, different installed software etc. But this is the first time I've really had an issue with a plugin that I can remember, so I guess can't really complain.

Having said that, I'm not sure if it's an issue or not lol, like it works fine, I have no issues using it, just that compared to everything else similar, BIAS FX, Amplitube, Kuassa A360, Revalver etc, the CPU use seems very high.

Edited by ensconced
  • Like 1