Windows 10 update problem

BMC

Hello, I'm experiencing technical difficulties with the Windows 10 update that rolled out today. After the update many applications required me to reconfigure audio, unfortunately, I've not been able to get Cakewalk to detect the new playback device, so I can't hear any audio. In settings I go to devices and the playback device just isn't in the list. I've tried other devices in the list just in case, but they don't produce any sound(which was expected).

Is anyone else having this issue? Are the developers aware of this?

On 6/9/2020 at 2:29 AM, BMC said:

Hello, I'm experiencing technical difficulties with the Windows 10 update that rolled out today. After the update many applications required me to reconfigure audio, unfortunately, I've not been able to get Cakewalk to detect the new playback device, so I can't hear any audio. In settings I go to devices and the playback device just isn't in the list. I've tried other devices in the list just in case, but they don't produce any sound(which was expected).

Is anyone else having this issue? Are the developers aware of this?

Specifically which Windows update are you referring to?  The developers are going to want to know exact Microsoft Knowledge-base numbers.  They may also want to know your exact Windows build number.  Mind you, you stated  that this affects "many applications", so you appear to have a system wide issue.

My guess is that the Windows update may have borked your driver for your audio interface. 

What you might want to try is head to the your audio interface's manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers.  Do this even if you believe you have the latest version.

Personally, I have instructed Windows update never to touch any drivers.

Edited by Promidi

@BMC,

As @Promidi indicated you haven't given enough information.  Microsoft is releasing a Windows 10 update and upgrade at the same time.  There is the May, 2020 update to versions 1903 & 1909 (KB4556799) and the upgrade to version 2004.

User feedback indicates KB4556799 has several audio driver issues.  Instructions to roll back the update is available +++ HERE +++

Microsoft has advised some users not to upgrade to version 2004 and has slowed down pushing out the upgrade in response to complaints.  More information is available +++ HERE +++