Standalone Keyboards as MIDI controllers

Hi,

I am mainly a guitar player, but have dabbled with Keyboards over the years. I am also a relative Beginner to DAWs, although did use Cubase a few years ago, and no stranger to using Multitrack recording (I have an old Boss 8-Track that has seen better days). I was thinking of getting a MIDI controller, but I was wondering about buying a secondhand Standalone keyboard, specifically a Yamaha PSR275, 

I had something similar a few years ago, but despite being able to connect to a PC, I never explored the MIDI side of things properly, and just wondered whether I could successfully use this as a Controller ? I've downloaded the Manual for it, and as it uses the standard 5-pin (??) MIDI sockets, but Yamaha do (or did) have a suitable converter cable, and there appears to be no shortage of alternative cables.

You should be able to use a USB to MIDI adaptor to connect your 5-pijn din MIDI keyboard to your PC via USB

I use a USB to MIDI adapter in the other direction - I.E. I use Cakewalk by Bandlab to send MIDI data to an external 5-pin DIN MIDI device.  This has worked flawlessly for a many years now.

The one I use is a Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface.

I have a PCR-800 controller and I am certain that, as a test at some stage, I have used the PCR-800's MIDI out ports rather than its USB and this worked fine in this configuration.   Of course, nowadays I just use the PCR-800's USB port.

Be aware that in the days BCbB (Before Cakewalk by Bandlab), Yamaha keyboards didn't work with MIDI-to-USB converters that weren't Yamaha.
Actually, that was much longer ago, back in the aughts, so maybe things have changed so that any converter will work.
Plus, you didn't mention what (if any) audio interface you're using. If you're going to go deep into computer recording, an interface is almost essential. If you don't have one and are considering one, check out those that have MIDI ports. That way you won't have to deal with funky USB drivers or Microsoft updates screwing  up a good driver.

14 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Plus, you didn't mention what (if any) audio interface you're using. If you're going to go deep into computer recording, an interface is almost essential. If you don't have one and are considering one, check out those that have MIDI ports. That way you won't have to deal with funky USB drivers or Microsoft updates screwing  up a good driver.

Thanks all for the information. 

As regards audio interface, I use a Behringer UMC22, which only has Mic and Instrument inputs. I guess I can always upgrade at some stage !

14 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

....... you won't have to deal with funky USB drivers or Microsoft updates screwing  up a good driver.

I have told Windows updates never to touch drivers during any update procedure....

• Great Idea 1

Overall for the price a good controller with a no hassle USB connection can be purchased for around $100. Guitar players ( and trumpet players) often miss an important aspect of keyboards--- the feel.. Just like you cannot play properly on a crummy guitar the same holds true with keyboards.  Get one with nice action and feel. A lot of them feel like cheap plastic toys. 

I chose a Roland A 49 which cost me around $120 Can. It also comes with a good solid USB midi driver. As said above generic USB drivers often cause issues, like disconecting all the time. I have a MAudio keyboard that uses Generic drivers and it always disconnects. My Roalnd always works. 

By the time you add up the cost of all the junk you need to make that Yamaha work properly you could put that towards a good one. 

In my experience, those inexpensive home learning all-in-one keyboards work great as starter MIDI controllers. They can often be had cheaply at thrift stores and garage sales. They're usually velocity sensitive, and as long as they have the 5-pin DIN MIDI out, you're good to go. Play on it, if it feels good, it is good.

My main controller at my workstation is a Kawai K1 from the mid 80's given to me by my ex-girlfriend. I don't use the internal sounds, I just like its action.

One of my favorite controllers is a Rockband keytar that I snagged at my local Salvation Army for $6 after I noticed that it had a 5-pin DIN connector. Turned out to have a nice velocity sensitive action and works great for sitting on the sofa with the laptop using a USB-powered MIDI interface.

Speaking of which, to add MIDI input all you need to do is augment your setup with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/OTraki-Adapter-Converter-Professional-Keyboard/dp/B08549TD7G/

There is a rock-bottom type of those that in my experience has problems with stuck notes, so mind the reviews. They have an opaque oval plastic shell with screen printing and go for around $10. They are best avoided.

Alternately, you could upgrade your interface to a PreSonus or Focusrite that has a built-in 5-pin MIDI port. I toss out those brands because if you're going to bother getting a new interface, you might as well get something with really good preamp(s).

Caveat: advice comes from a variety of perspectives. Some comes from "if you want to put together a well-equipped studio now" and others' comes from the perspective of "if you want to minimize your initial investment, have some fun exploring, and then upgrade later if you want to get serious."

Mine is very much the latter, because that's how I do it. I have a home studio that consists of a workstation along one side of my dining room, which by a fluke of 1903 architecture, has interesting acoustics. I labor under no assumption that I will earn money by creating music, unless by some kind of fluke. I make music for fun, and to be listened to, by the more, the merrier. The better it can sound, the better.

Edited by Starship Krupa