FREE: GhostSphere Omnisphere FX Library

rasure

Thank you Carlos 🙂 I cant compare, I`m probably the only person on the planet who doesn't have Kontakt. Omnisphere is powerful as synth , but I suspect Kontakt is much better for samples, in terms of articulations and velocity layers. Although you can use a multi in Omnisphere, but still limited for what you can do with samples.

I have often requested more sampler features for Omnisphere, but I think Spectrasonics see it as more of as a synth rather than a sampler, which is fair enough, but quite ironic since most of their patches rely on samples anyway. It could be so much more powerful and a one stop shop if they added more sampling features IMO.

• Like 2

Also, you might want to consider a Kontakt version for the wider audience it would bring. Even if you're using Omnisphere-specific features that Kontakt can't duplicate exactly, that might just mean a slightly dumbed-down version with modulations baked in.

Spectrasonics does indeed see Omnisphere as a synth, which makes sense given the company's origins. But most users see it as a ROMpler. Most Kontakt users have at least dabbled in making their own libraries for it, as evidenced by the plethora of free/cheap libraries out there. Non-commercial user-made Omnisphere libs don't seem like much of a thing beyond the efforts of a few brave souls such as yourself (thank you!). It certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

Thank you bitflipper, hope you enjoy it. I know omnisphere like the back of my hand, so its easy for me. There`s a few tricks you can use to make samples more realistic, such as using velocity to trigger the sample start time and or adding lets say 4 or 5 sounds like different piano velocities into one .wav file, but leaving a gap between each sound then trigger the sample start time with velocity, its a bit tricky but can be done.

• Great Idea 1

19 hours ago, rasure said:

I`m probably the only person on the planet who doesn't have Kontakt.

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

You are not. From what I've seen, if I had to choose, I'd prefer SampleTank 4.

I was going to say the same thing!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, antler said:

You get a far wider range of libraries for Kontakt than you do for SampleTank

Fortunately I'm past the point where I have as many libraries as I can use.

It escapes me why an individual who wished to share their sampled instrument(s) just for the enjoyment of it would choose the Kontakt format. The Kontaktians would no doubt say it's because of the multitudes of people who own Kontakt and are therefore able to use them.

There are plenty of people such as me who don't have it, don't really want it, don't really need it, and thanks to the locked-down proprietary format, also can't check out any freeware Kontakt instruments.

• Like 1

I'd sorta like to have Kontakt — if only for the free stuff from 3rd parties — but NI insists on never offering it for a price I'd be willing to pay. Like the current Summer Madness sale (or whatever), where they're doing 50% off upgrades, but not 50% off for first-time buyers who might be willing to drop $300 for (not-so) KOMPLETE, but are never going to spend $599 for same. Strikes me as bad business sense. "First one's free, kids!" and all. 'Lose' money to get people into the ecosystem, then get them hooked on relatively inexpensive upgrades every year or two. 

I even own $300 worth of NI stuff in the form of FM8 and Session Horns Pro. Which entitles me to exactly nothing towards buying KOMPLETE.

Also, I find it slightly amusing that Session Horns Pro is a $150 Kontakt library (something like 30-40GB) that plays in the free Kontakt Player, but somehow someone's freeware "Yet Another Collection of '808 Samples" Kontakt instrument requires the full-blown version.

I'll admit that they do seem to have a lot of takers, whatever they're doing seems to be working until someone else comes along that can eat their lunch.

I don't know what Kontakt has going for it that SampleTank (the most recent issue) and other such products don't, except maybe the ability to create those elaborate UI's? I don't know if SampleTank and sforzando can do that.

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I don't know what Kontakt has going for it that SampleTank (the most recent issue) and other such products don't

In the case of Sampletank 4, I'd say a legible UI. The contrast is dreadful IMO and I wouldn't buy it because of that alone. That and the fact that IKM seem to have taken the stance that it's your problem not theirs that you have trouble with it.

7 hours ago, John Bradley said:

Like the current Summer Madness sale (or whatever), where they're doing 50% off upgrades, but not 50% off for first-time buyers who might be willing to drop $300 for (not-so) KOMPLETE, but are never going to spend $599 for same.

They did so on one year - the very next day after I decided to use a $22 e-voucher to get that much off the full price (because the first buy is never discounted, right...). Not complaining (too much) though, it's a great sampler for my usages. YMMV.

7 hours ago, John Bradley said:

Also, I find it slightly amusing that Session Horns Pro is a $150 Kontakt library (something like 30-40GB) that plays in the free Kontakt Player, but somehow someone's freeware "Yet Another Collection of '808 Samples" Kontakt instrument requires the full-blown version.

That's because you need an (expensive) license to make a Kontakt Player instrument. For someone making something and giving it away for free, it doesn't make much sense to buy a license. Files for full Kontakt don't need a license, but can only be opened in full Kontakt.

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It escapes me why an individual who wished to share their sampled instrument(s) just for the enjoyment of it would choose the Kontakt format. The Kontaktians would no doubt say it's because of the multitudes of people who own Kontakt and are therefore able to use them.

If they already owned Kontakt and knew the ins and outs, I don't see why this would be a bad idea, though I realise this isn't the case in this scenario.

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I don't know what Kontakt has going for it that SampleTank (the most recent issue) and other such products don't, except maybe the ability to create those elaborate UI's?

I've never made any instruments but from what I've read, the scripting available in Kontakt is far more advanced, meaning that more realistic-sounding instruments can be made

On 6/8/2020 at 2:46 PM, rasure said:

Thank you bitflipper, hope you enjoy it. I know omnisphere like the back of my hand, so its easy for me. There`s a few tricks you can use to make samples more realistic, such as using velocity to trigger the sample start time and or adding lets say 4 or 5 sounds like different piano velocities into one .wav file, but leaving a gap between each sound then trigger the sample start time with velocity, its a bit tricky but can be done.

Makes sense to pick one platform and learn it well. For me, it was the other way around; I elected to dive into Kontakt instead. Mainly because I wanted to create Kontakt instruments from some of my favorite ROMpler patches. For that kind of thing, Kontakt is quick and easy.

There was a period, though, when I was determined to become equally conversant with Omnisphere. It just didn't take, sorry to say. Made a few patches but none of them were significantly better than what I could have achieved more easily with a simpler synth. Nowadays, I limit myself to modifying other peoples' patches. Which is why I'm appreciative of folks such as yourself who have taken the time to make new content for Omnisphere.

I am astonished that SampleTank is being mentioned in the same thread as if it were somehow comparable to either of these. Yes, I have SampleTank and have had it for years, going back to version 1. Yes, ST4 is easy to use and cheaper than either Kontakt or Omnisphere. But then you could say the same about the TTS-1.

On 6/10/2020 at 8:23 PM, antler said:

Thanks for library @rasure - sounds really good.

Thank you,  glad you like it 🙂

14 hours ago, bitflipper said:

There was a period, though, when I was determined to become equally conversant with Omnisphere. It just didn't take, sorry to say. Made a few patches but none of them were significantly better than what I could have achieved more easily with a simpler synth. Nowadays, I limit myself to modifying other peoples' patches. Which is why I'm appreciative of folks such as yourself who have taken the time to make new content for Omnisphere.

I first started off using Spectrasonics Atmosphere, still got the original box, ah those were the days when software came with a huge printed manual and a box!  In some songs Ive written I have actually used presets in omnisphere, they're good and they just work. I also purchased a lot of libraries from PluginGuru, I think its important to support library makers, more so if they are really good quality. It take a lot of time and work to put a library together, especially when sampling your own sounds like I did in this one, used a lot of my older recordings too.

I would suggest to anyone, if you do have some money to spare then it`s really worth getting Omnisphere, they're a good solid company, been lots of free updates, worth ever penny IMO. I plan on getting KeyScape when funds are better.

As a side note, I know mentioned earlier in the thread about adding more features for sample in omnisphere, if spectrasonics didn't want to mess with omnisphere in that way, then what about a separate sample editor (omnisphere specific) to get samples ready to import into omnisphere, rather like sage converter for RMX, but for omnisphere where you can maybe add velocity layers, loop points and other features.