Pitch Bend automation using Cakewalk + Shreddage 3 Stratus

Riccardo66

Hi everybody,

I am struggling to find instructions about how to  implement pitch bend automation in Cakewalk, on a clip built with Shreddage 3 Stratus (Kontakt).

Before writing the present message, I looked for information about this problem, in the Shreddage 3 Stratus community; it seems that the pitch automation issue is DAW-related, so here I am,  being I a (non expert) Cakewalk user.

This is the situation: I have a Shreddage 3 Stratus MIDI track (recorded using a MIDI keyboard that has no wheels for pitch and modulation). I now need to automatize a number of pitch bends and/or modulations to the track, but I have no clue about how to do it.

I looked for information anywhere in the net; I seem to have understood that I have to create a new lane (wheel type) in order to implement pitch bend control, but I find it truly hard to draw "control evelopes" using the Draw Freehand tool. I could however confirm that the pitch is altered through this method, which is good news. But the problem is that I would have liked to draw control envelopes similar to those used for volume automation or, alternatively, to use continuous control, but that does not seem to be possible.

Any help from you about the previous matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Are you using combined instrument tracks (i.e. Simple Instrument tracks / Per Output Instrument tracks), or are you using split instrument tracks (a separate track for the MIDI and the Audio) ?

Combined instrument tracks currently don't show the MIDI automation envelopes on the track - only the audio automation.

To get around this, split the instrument track and then add the pitch bend automation lane on the MIDI track:

pitch_wheel_automation.gif

You can always combine the tracks back into an instrument track afterwards if you want... it'll keep the automation, but it'll be hidden until you split them again.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

You can do automation several ways in Cakewalk. Page 489 of the User's manual talks about using automation envelopes in the track.

Page 693 talks about  controller lanes in the PVR (Piano Roll View) which lets you add, edit or delete controller information, like pitch wheel.

image.thumb.png.5e2750c9b283536ce4ae659f09c5db84.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Are you using combined instrument tracks (i.e. Simple Instrument tracks / Per Output Instrument tracks), or are you using split instrument tracks (a separate track for the MIDI and the Audio) ?

Combined instrument tracks currently don't show the MIDI automation envelopes on the track - only the audio automation.

To get around this, split the instrument track and then add the pitch bend automation lane on the MIDI track:

You can always combine the tracks back into an instrument track afterwards if you want... it'll keep the automation, but it'll be hidden until you split them again.

Thank you very much, this is exactly the information I was looking for!

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 2:22 AM, msmcleod said:

Good man, I'm raising same glass that you're holding in your hand to you! You solved my problem, too.
Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Necaster said:

Good man, I'm raising same glass that you're holding in your hand to you! You solved my problem, too.
Cheers!

FYI - in the 2020.08 release there's no need to split/re-combine audio & MIDI tracks as instrument tracks can now show both audio and MIDI automation.

• Like 1