Feature: Drums maps are garbage

Josh Wolfer

1 hour ago, chuckebaby said:

The other method is using the Drum pane. Which for me anyway, is a bit difficult, you are grabbing those little triangles which i can not always grab in one click unless my Zoom is maxed in. Using 1/4 or 1/16 notes are easier to grab and lets you work in a wider field.

Don't like working with "those little triangles"? Note duration optional in the Drum Grid Pane. The setting is in the PRV Notes menu.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scook said:

Don't like working with "those little triangles"? Note duration optional in the Drum Grid Pane. The setting is in the PRV Notes menu.

I appreciate the suggestion. i just cant stomach that drum pane. Maybe its just my personal preference where PRV notes are easier to see on the eyes.

17 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

The other method is using the Drum pane. Which for me anyway, is a bit difficult, you are grabbing those little triangles which i can not always grab in one click unless my Zoom is maxed in. Using 1/4 or 1/16 notes are easier to grab and lets you work in a wider field.

Ohhhh, you mean the default setting in the Drum Grid Pane, with the triangles, and you can turn on their velocities and then work with triangles with velocity bars sticking up.

No, I usually use it like you do, with Notes/Show Durations in Drum Grid turned on.

That's what you're showing in your video, right? You must be, you have a list of drum kit instruments on the left, then you're placing and editing what look like the usual rectangular block MIDI notes in the grid.

AFAIK, that's still called the "Drum Grid Pane," but you have note durations turned on so they switch from the triangle form to the more common one. That's the only way to make it look like it does on your screen, set me straight if I'm wrong. You can choose either triangles or full-duration rectangles in the Drum Grid.

I may be off base, because you say you're not using the Drum Grid, but I don't know of any other way to have both a list of drum kit instruments on the left and edit with full note lengths on the right. If you're not using the Drum Grid, how are you getting a list of drum kit instruments instead of piano keys?

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

That's what you're showing in your video, right? You must be, you have a list of drum kit instruments on the left, then you're placing and editing what look like the usual rectangular block MIDI notes in the grid.

No i'm using the PRV with 1/4 notes. The names of drums load on the left hand side as normal.

The drum pane has different look to it, i'll try to post a screenshot later.

I tried using using @scook suggestion yesterday and its a good one. I just just prefer working in PRV.

9 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

The names of drums load on the left hand side as normal.

As I said, the only way I've figured out to do that is to assign a Drum Map to the MIDI track and select Show Drum Pane.

If there is another way I can see the correct drum names on the left side, I don't give a rat's anatomical part about Drum Maps. That's all they've ever been for me, a way to display the drum names of the soft synths I'm using.

19 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

If there is another way I can see the correct drum names on the left side, I don't give a rat's anatomical part about Drum Maps. That's all they've ever been for me, a way to display the drum names of the soft synths I'm using.

I posted a link earlier in this thread on how to change the keyboard display in the PRV. I'll do it again

once master.ins is modified, right-click on the keyboard to select an alternate display. The downside of this process is the setting is not persistent. Close the PRV or the session and the next time the PRV is opened it will revert to the keyboad display.

There is a VST2.1 ocode to supply note names. CbB supports it. It is up to the plug-in manufacturer to implement it. The only drum plug-ins that I know of that have the feature are Session Drummer 3 and the BFD series. Use these drum synths and the PRV keyboard is automatically updated to drum names when editing the drum synth tracks. Based on a recent thread, Sitala may be adding support for this feature too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

right-click on the keyboard to select an alternate display

Wow. This was the missing piece of the puzzle the entire time.

All I've ever wanted to do is display drum names instead of piano keys over on the left side, I didn't want to work with little fuzzy triangles or necessarily even deviate from General MIDI, because most of my drum synths conform to it.

And I see that when I draw a note with it set up like this, it shows the name of the instrument on each MIDI note. Handy.

I asked on the forum how people were getting those drum names to show up on the MIDI notes and nobody answered. Maybe as with chuckebaby, they had so much experience that it was "like normal" to them and it didn't occur that I wouldn't know that you could do it, even though I just checked and the documentation says you can specify different instrument names, but doesn't say "you can replace the piano keys with a list of instrument names." Not that I could find, anyway.

Two years I've been hassling with Drum Maps when all I had to do was right click on the piano keys and tell it I wanted to use General MIDI Drums. And everyone who's listened to my complaints has probably assumed that I already knew you could do it the easy way.

Thank you Steve and Chuck for enlightening me.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, scook said:

Based on a recent thread, Sitala may be adding support for this feature too.

It's on our tentative to-do list for the next release, but we haven't actually messed around with it yet.  Basically, if it ends up being straightforward, it'll almost certainly be included in the next release.

11 minutes ago, Scott Wheeler said:

It's on our tentative to-do list for the next release, but we haven't actually messed around with it yet.  Basically, if it ends up being straightforward, it'll almost certainly be included in the next release.

If you need a tester, I'll be glad to help

BTW, I created a drum map for default 808 kit. It is in the preset section of my Google page for CbB

1 hour ago, Neel Modi said:

Hey Bob

I managed to create maps to all the Battery 4 kits, check it out

Neel

Battery 4 Drum Maps for Cakewalk.zip 113.27 kB · 1 download

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! Thanks SOOO much.  Soon as I win a Grammy, I will be mentioning YOU in my acceptance speech - AND, I will move you up in front of me thanking my second-grade teacher.  Just a matter of time, now.......

Bob Bone

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neel Modi said:

Hey Bob

I managed to create maps to all the Battery 4 kits, check it out

Neel

Battery 4 Drum Maps for Cakewalk.zip 113.27 kB · 2 downloads

By the way - you would be a hero to a whole bunch of NI Battery 4 users, if you would share those with the folks on the NI forums.  And, here in the Cakewalk forums, as well, if you created a thread in the Instruments forum, with the download link for them, as there are a lot of folks using Cakewal, that also have some flavor of NI Komplete.

I have drum maps for the Battery 3 drum maps - would you like those?

Bob Bone

46 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

By the way - you would be a hero to a whole bunch of NI Battery 4 users, if you would share those with the folks on the NI forums.  And, here in the Cakewalk forums, as well, if you created a thread in the Instruments forum, with the download link for them, as there are a lot of folks using Cakewal, that also have some flavor of NI Komplete.

I have drum maps for the Battery 3 drum maps - would you like those?

Bob Bone

Good idea, Bob, thanks, will do. I also have Battery 3 maps but when I upgraded to Battery 4, my presets for Battery 3 disappeared. I don't worry about it much, as there's lots of cool kits in B4 anyway.

20 minutes ago, Neel Modi said:

Good idea, Bob, thanks, will do. I also have Battery 3 maps but when I upgraded to Battery 4, my presets for Battery 3 disappeared. I don't worry about it much, as there's lots of cool kits in B4 anyway.

You lost the Kits for Battery 3?  Like, 'Rock Kit Add-On.kt3'?

5 minutes ago, Neel Modi said:

Yeah, I also commented on this thread, and now I'm trying to get my Komplete 8 to show up in Native Access so I can download and install Battery 3, but after putting in the serial number, nothing happens.

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/brushes-and-other-jazzy-sounds.417417/

I will take a look - so you added the serial number?  I have Komplete 8, as well as now Komplete 10, and Komplete 12, but I do recall adding Komplete 8, because I wanted to keep using Battery 3, which went away in the later versions.

1 hour ago, Neel Modi said:

Yeah, I also commented on this thread, and now I'm trying to get my Komplete 8 to show up in Native Access so I can download and install Battery 3, but after putting in the serial number, nothing happens.

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/brushes-and-other-jazzy-sounds.417417/

I checked my Native Access - Komplete 8 does not show up there, even though I had entered its serial number.

However, once that serial number was entered, it might have then allowed me to select individual components connected to Komplete 8, such as Battery 3, to be installed.  I do show Battery 3 as being fully installed, and per the image you see below, the serial number for my Battery 3 in Native Access, shows as part of the Komplete 8 Bundle.

image.thumb.png.78928d65644e935fc98fd26feae806a7.png

So - check to see if Battery 3 is available as an Uninstalled Product in Native Access.  If THAT doesn't work, are you able to run the Komplete 8 installer, and only select Battery 3 from it?  I am trying to remember how I did it.  I will think on it some more - try the above though, in the meantime.

Sometimes I do even use a Drum-Map for one of my softsynth. Especially to fumble around with arpeggios... Change back to diatonic keyboard is just a mouse-click away.

Nice feature is to solo or mute different notes you like...  

Drum-Map-01.thumb.PNG.912b3645e75147c63059f41976882d8b.PNG

Edited by Astra-Ios
  • Like 1