Attn: Echo Layla 3G / W10 Users

Hello

This post is merely me trying to poll the group since I upgraded to W10 and am having issues that might have to do with the Echo drivers.

I postponed my W10 upgrade for a long time thinking that the non-existant W10 drivers might be a problem with CW.

I heard from several of you that there were no issues, so I took the plunge. Unfortunately, I'm having issues with fx plugins and virtual midi instruments causing dropouts, and since I heard that there were no issues from some of you so long ago, I thought I'd check again.

Please let me know if you're on W10 and have the Echo Layla 3G if you have any performance issues with CW or not.

I'm trying to decide if it's time to get a new audio interface and money is an issue at this time.

Hi @razor7music, I use an ECHO Layla 3G with Windows 10. The drivers work fine. It is my current DAW workhorse.

Here's the caveat: I froze my DAW at Windows 10 1803. It was the version that came with my PC when I bought it. The 1809 update worked fine, but the 1903 update resulted in problems.  (Example: Input Echo, Dropouts)

There was an option to "clean factory restore" back to the 1803 version, and I took it,  and decided to stay at that point for as long as possible. So far, so good.

However I don't claim that later versions of Windows 10 are incompatible with the ECHO drivers, just that, on my DAW, with my update history, I seemed to hit a problem that was resolved by rolling back.

I'd certainly give the ECHO drivers a shot if I were setting up a new machine.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lapasoa said:

As soon as you can with yout money, try to pass to a more recent audio interface.

Why? These are GREAT, in the sound department, but also in the latency dept. I see scores of Mac-heads endlessly upgrading to end up with no improvement...

• Like 1

No issues here using Echo Layla 3G and Win 10x64. My machine has no PCI slots so I had to use an adapter for PCI Express and all is well.

Got great info and advice on the bridge from Colin.

BTW, I am at the LATEST win 10 build......

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lapasoa said:

As soon as you can with yout money, try to pass to a more recent audio interface.

I agree with Rico, Why? I was weary at fist because of the PCI bridge I needed. Once I got it secure, zero issues. I do have a Roland Octa Capture that just sits in the box. 

I thought many times, better upgrade. But always found myself thinking, Why? I have no issues , why fix what isn't broken. Lots of ins\outs, SPDIF, etc.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Hi @razor7music, I use an ECHO Layla 3G with Windows 10. The drivers work fine. It is my current DAW workhorse.

Here's the caveat: I froze my DAW at Windows 10 1803. It was the version that came with my PC when I bought it. The 1809 update worked fine, but the 1903 update resulted in problems.  (Example: Input Echo, Dropouts)

There was an option to "clean factory restore" back to the 1803 version, and I took it,  and decided to stay at that point for as long as possible. So far, so good.

However I don't claim that later versions of Windows 10 are incompatible with the ECHO drivers, just that, on my DAW, with my update history, I seemed to hit a problem that was resolved by rolling back.

I'd certainly give the ECHO drivers a shot if I were setting up a new machine.

Thanks for the insight. My day job is IT and I hate legacy equipment or technology to hold up advancements and improvements in the form of upgrades in other areas.

That's what I'm thinking is going on with me hanging onto my Echo audio interface. I procrastinated upgrading to W10 so I could keep my outdated audio interface. I just want to be 100% sure (or close to) that is my dropout issue before I buy a new interface and decommission my second Echo Layla.

Edited by razor7music

1 hour ago, razor7music said:

Thanks for the insight. My day job is IT and I hate legacy equipment or technology to hold up advancements and improvements in the form of upgrades in other areas.

That's what I'm thinking is going on with me hanging onto my Echo audio interface. I procrastinated upgrading to W10 so I could keep my outdated audio interface. I just want to 100% (or close to) that is my dropout issue before I buy a new interface and decommission my second Echo Layla.

I'm encouraged to hear that @Pathfinder is on the latests W10 build, because his hardware setup is, I believe, almost identical to mine. (Not that we've compared motherboards :-))

If I was brave enough, and had a clean way to drop back to 1803, I'd update and see what happened. But I'm not.

I have an even older echo card. I have Layla 24/96. It seems to work fine. Don’t know if my latency could be lower with a newer card. Mine a pci card. It seems to work really good with thread scheduling 3 .Latest Windows and layers Bandlab cakewalk 

I have a really old i7 processor. I think my drivers are V 8.3.  I would like to rent a high end card for a week to see if it is any different!  

Max Arwood 

Did you turn off Cortina and all the background stuff that goes  on in windows 10?

did you upgrade or fresh install?

14 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I have an even older echo card. I have Layla 24/96. It seems to work fine. Don’t know if my latency could be lower with a newer card. Mine a pci card. It seems to work really good with thread scheduling 3 .Latest Windows and layers Bandlab cakewalk 

I have a really old i7 processor. I think my drivers are V 8.3.  I would like to rent a high end card for a week to see if it is any different!  

Max Arwood 

Did you turn off Cortina and all the background stuff that goes  on in windows 10?

did you upgrade or fresh install?

Yes, I turned off all the background stuff. I did an in-place upgrade. A fresh install was not an option for me.

I did all my homework prior to the upgrade, but something fishy is going on because although I get project load toast messages, I don't get dropout toast messages. I've posted about that a couple times and it remains a mystery.

The last thing I want to do is buy a new interface and still have the same issues, so I'm in research mode until it's diagnosed.

I sure hope someone can help get you going again.  I talked myself out of regressing to windows 7 multiple times!! I knew it was close to a must do soon upgrade.  I have also thought about a new sound card since mine is even older that your!! lol!! To get the bang of my old card - 8 ins-outs SPDIF, ADAT..... I will just cost more than I need to spend right now.  My computer is a really old i7. I have thought many times about moving up. Just need to go slow and figure out what would help the most and do that first. I have other friends that use Echo products. They don't seem to have problems on win 10 and BL Cakewalk.

Max Arwood

18 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I sure hope someone can help get you going again.  I talked myself out of regressing to windows 7 multiple times!! I knew it was close to a must do soon upgrade.  I have also thought about a new sound card since mine is even older that your!! lol!! To get the bang of my old card - 8 ins-outs SPDIF, ADAT..... I will just cost more than I need to spend right now.  My computer is a really old i7. I have thought many times about moving up. Just need to go slow and figure out what would help the most and do that first. I have other friends that use Echo products. They don't seem to have problems on win 10 and BL Cakewalk.

Max Arwood

Thanks, me too.

I had the Layla 24/96 before the 3G. It just started having major static in the headphone volume pot but everything else was great.

The reason I started with the Layla was because Cakewalk recommended it on their list, long, long ago.

I had an echo 3g for a long time and we'll into windows 10 builds.. I don't recall when I decommissioned it...I think about this time in 2018.  Mine worked well.enough but the phantom power was shot on both inputs and I had moved over to studio.one by then and decided to spring for a presonus studio 1824.  It is better, even though it is usb but it is. It as night and day as you would think, being at least ten years newer.  Still, I think it was a good move.  I still have the 3g if anyone needs an extra one!  I will sell it for a good price.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Registered just to ask this: Those of you who are still successfully using Layla 3G with Windows 10, which driver version are you using?

So far I've tried 8.6 which didn't work at all, and the v1.6 which came with the original install CD kind of worked but the sound was extremely garbled and overdriven. I'm not super keen on going through every driver one by one, so here I am asking.

Thank you in advance!

UPD: Almost none of the 8.X drivers get recognized at all. And I've discovered that Vista driver v8.1 does the same thing as the v1.6 (except it at least installs the Echo 3G Console aside from the drivers, which is a step forward). Could it be that the issue lies not in the drivers but elsewhere? Like I said, the sound is extremely distorted, but if I play a song the rhythm is still recognizable, so it's not just white noise. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Edited by LasRul

1 hour ago, LasRul said:

Those of you who are still successfully using Layla 3G with Windows 10, which driver version are you using?

8.6 here, solid as a rock up to Windows 10 v.1809.

Caveat: The 1903 update caused me some issues with audio recording that eventually led to my reverting to Factory-delivered Windows version on my DAW. It does not necessarily mean that there is an incompatibility with ECHO Layla 3G drivers and Windows 1903 and later, just that I cannot vouch for those configs.

On 6/30/2020 at 2:44 PM, LasRul said:

Hi all,

... UPD: Almost none of the 8.X drivers get recognized at all. ... Could it be that the issue lies not in the drivers but elsewhere? Like I said, the sound is extremely distorted...

One possibility is, PCI card-driven  interfaces work best with the older motherboards.  While the newer boards have PCI slots, they are often bridged, and that can present its own data-streaming problems.  (This is not an absolute, as some newer boards work just fine with PCI-based audio, but it can definitely be a factor).