Ivory II Grand Pianos

cclarry

3 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Is that a good deal on that I mean has there ever been a better deal than that? Anyway $150 seems about the standard piano price these days

Very good deal...you will be lucky to find it at this price any time....

• Like 1

Great review, Simeon. I remember vividly the first time I heard Ivory and being blown away by it. The demonstrator must have gotten a sore face from grinning all day, handing headphones to one convention-goer after another and watching them react. I stood there for awhile just watching peoples' faces light up. It was a universal reaction.

Nowadays, we have a LOT of sampled pianos in that league to choose from but Ivory is still at or near the top of that category. It's so good that I can't imagine what version 3 might add - play itself, maybe?

Gotta add, though, that despite having maybe 40 piano libraries in my collection, I have finally come around to believe that the future of piano VIs is not conventional sample libraries, but rather physical modeling. I was a skeptic for a long time, and for good reason. But today we are this close to modeled pianos that are indistinguishable from a high-end sample library - but only take up a few hundred megabytes, load in an eye blink and have 5-10x the velocity layers. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Gotta add, though, that despite having maybe 40 piano libraries in my collection, I have finally come around to believe that the future of piano VIs is not conventional sample libraries, but rather physical modeling. I was a skeptic for a long time, and for good reason. But today we are this close to modeled pianos that are indistinguishable from a high-end sample library - but only take up a few hundred megabytes, load in an eye blink and have 5-10x the velocity layers. 

Yup.

24 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

I have to agree that the modeled pianos have come a long way.  I love the quick loading Pianoteq.  Some still knock it but I happen to love the software for what it offers.

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Great review, Simeon. I remember vividly the first time I heard Ivory and being blown away by it. The demonstrator must have gotten a sore face from grinning all day, handing headphones to one convention-goer after another and watching them react. I stood there for awhile just watching peoples' faces light up. It was a universal reaction.

Nowadays, we have a LOT of sampled pianos in that league to choose from but Ivory is still at or near the top of that category. It's so good that I can't imagine what version 3 might add - play itself, maybe?

So what's your opinion on Ivory II vs Pianoteq today? 

Edited by Christian Jones

15 minutes ago, synthmeister said:

deal seems dead.

Almost any MF (Musicians Friend) post by Lars is a Deal of The Day or a Deal of The Hour. The OP was on Saturday. Gotta be quick. 🙂 

Pianoteq 6 wins over Ivory 2 any day in my opinion.

I own both, bought both years ago, 10 years ago maybe? I ran with Ivory for a while but could not escape its two dimensional quality, albeit a well-sampled two dimensions. I stopped using Ivory when Pearl came out.

I've also demoed every version of Pianoteq, without excitement. Until version 6 . This most recent version is amazing. Petrov especially. So playable.

Plus with pianoteq they have other cool instruments that use the platform.

Pianos are an extremely subjective category. You can easily demo pianoteq, wheras you can't demo any sample library. Those you buy with your fingers crossed! 

Edited by emeraldsoul

4 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Oh yes I remember that now. Spice or spike or something like that?

Idk I haven't used it. But I'd definitely try that before shelling out $150 or more for a piano that I'd have to hope I liked. I'll have to try Pianoteq. What a subjective thing Pianoteq is; some swear by it and others hate it. Just have to try for oneself. I hope to like Pianoteq and could just live with that. 

Edited by Christian Jones