Superior Drummer 2

cclarry

I still use SD2 but I only use the NY Vol. 3 kit and treat it like a real drummer in a band who doesn't own 30 different drum sets to his name. But even the NY v. 3 kit has several different versions of each kit piece and I dig it because like @Craig Fowler said they sound plenty good. NY Vol. 3 doesn't come with SD2 though, you can probably score it on sale when they have one for $70 something or cheaper on kvr. SD3 is $400 not on sale. I don't really like the stock Avatar kit in SD2, specifically the kicks I find weak. If I didn't already have SD2 if it were me I'd probably wait for a sale on SD3 and invest there. 

6 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Yeah, not one of Toontrack’s most customer  friendly decisions.

When they pulled that "you have to upgrade now or else" crap that was the end of the road for me as far as ever buying any more of their products goes.

Edited by paulo

Yes that was . . . well an odd move on their part, I still purchased SD3, but sold it a few months later as IMO BFD3 still sounds much better and more realistic. Personally never liked SD2, owned it and all it's addons (never used it) thought it sounded like crap, and the GUI, . . .  well . . but that's just me, IMO, YMMV etc etc

BFD sounds better? That's a reasonable personal opinion, and you're not alone in that. I love the BFD sound.

But more realistic? Nope.

That's SD's main problem, really - too realistic. Anyone who has recorded real drums knows it's a lot of work getting a specific type of sound from them. BFD does much of that work for you, and I'm not knocking that. However, there is a necessary compromise, namely that BFD and similar products can't offer the flexibility of Superior's bare-metal approach. If a person can only afford one premium drum synth, SD is a good candidate because it can do it all.

That includes SD2, which I used for its lifetime and loved it. Never bought any extra kits, either. Just the default kit that came with it. That's how flexible it is. Honestly, I only bought SD3 for the brushes and mallets.

• Like 3

I have both SD3 and BFD3, and really dig the sounds of both.....but they do sound different, in particular the rooms. I wind up using SD3 more because, for me at least, it’s GUI is more intuitive. And for some reason on my computer BFD3 can be a little buggy.

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

But more realistic? Nope.

That's SD's main problem, really - too realistic. Anyone who has recorded real drums knows it's a lot of work getting a specific type of sound from them. BFD does much of that work for you, and I'm not knocking that. However, there is a necessary compromise, namely that BFD and similar products can't offer the flexibility of Superior's bare-metal approach. If a person can only afford one premium drum synth, SD is a good candidate because it can do it all.

That includes SD2, which I used for its lifetime and loved it. Never bought any extra kits, either. Just the default kit that came with it. That's how flexible it is. Honestly, I only bought SD3 for the brushes and mallets.

That is of course your opinion. Myself and a lot of other people will disagree.

From reading the above I think you  know BFD and it's kits, both stock and addons as well as you think.

Anyway it doesn't matter, as long as each is happy with what they use, that is all that matters.

imo, ymmv. etc etc