Mega Drum Machines - Free (or donationware)

Reid Rosefelt

I saw this recommended by PluginGuru. It's a plugin that maps the Kicks, Snares, Hats, Cymbals and Toms of a lot of vintage drum machines into GM.  It is offered free but the developer does ask for a donation of $5. 

TPG is going to show how to use it with Unify in today's livestream.  But obviously this could be a lot of fun with any MIDI files, and some come with Unify.

I love the way this has little images of the original units--a nice touch.  Most of these instruments had more sounds, but it's still a very cool thing for free.

Apparently there was a successful Kontakt version of this before.   You can get this new  VST/AU library HERE

The Kontakt one is still available HERE    Requires Full Kontakt    

The library contains samples of about 150 old, vintage, obscure, rare and hard to find drum machines.

What has been done:

Each kit has been mapped in a General Midi format (more or less, many old drum machines only have 4-5 sounds)

Each kit has been divided into 5 groups: Kicks, Snares, Hats, Cymbals and Toms

Each Group has custom controls for tuning, panning and volume

Each kit has custom graphics

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Maybe I have tunnel vision but I could not see any VST/AU at the links you gave us, only Kontakt instruments.

Speaking of a tunnel... you may have landed in a wormhole for a while as well but if it didn't take you, at the other end, to their "Free Stuff" where you can find the VST version easily, then you might actually have landed in a different wormhole than me... ;) 

Edited by chris.r