Zoom Doesn't Center

On 6/19/2020 at 1:33 AM, Morten Saether said:

We appreciate the fact that different users have different preferences. The next release will have an option to center the Now Time when zooming with the keyboard.

Where is this option found?

Been trawling theough preferences and can't find anything.

I'm looking for Zoom with mouse wheel but centres at cursor position. 

I move the playback head then Zoom using CTRL and Left and Right but the Zoom does not centre.

I might move my waves into Reaper to zoom.

The cursor moves left when zooming in Cakewalk.

In Reaper,it is very easy to keep the zoom centered. 

Edited by Jellybeantiger

Use CTRL+ALT and the mouse scroll wheel to zoom on the cursor position. It might catch you out if the Now Time is somewhere else, and you wonder why things are scrolling off somewhere, but keep an eye on where your cursor position is - that'll do what you're after.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 5:10 AM, Starship Krupa said:

I don't use a control surface either. Logitech mouse, keyboard, Alt+Wheel, or even keys to zoom in.

Maybe we're talking about different situations, or I have something set incorrectly or something, but my common scenario is that I'll be zoomed out in the Track View, and want to zoom in on a clip to do some editing or in the Piano Roll to work on a section of MIDI notes, and as I zoom, for no reason I can determine, the view drifts to the left or right. This is with the transport stopped.

If it's drifting to the left, I can "cheat" the mouse to the right to get it drifting in that direction or vice versa, but then it starts drifting in that direction. I don't want it to drift to the left or right, I want it to zoom in statically. I don't care if that's going to be where I have the cursor/Aim Assist pointed, the Now Time, the MIDI notes I have selected, whatever, or merely zoom in wherever it's sitting, I just don't want it to always be going away from where I was focused. The whole point of zooming in is to focus on something, and CbB's zooming takes my focus away from what I want to work on.

As it is, I just chase it back and forth as best I can with the mouse, and then when I get to the magnification I want, I scroll over to where I wanted to be when I started zooming in. If that happens to be maximum zoom so that I can notch automate a lip click or something, that can be a challenge.

Since I can't believe anyone would actually want to go through all this hassle every time they zoom in, can you share with me how you go from zoomed out on the whole project to zoomed in on a clip, using Fast Zoom (Alt+Wheel), accurately, without it drifting around? I must be using it the wrong way or have something set incorrectly.

The way I would expect it to behave is that I'd click to set the Now Time, and zooming in would center on that. Every other program I can think of uses a zooming logic of "the user wants to zoom in on the area they are currently focused on (rather than something off to the right or left)."

+1