Our house is on fire

X-53mph

Philip, this is a pleasant surprise!  I love the song and think that it's close to being stellar.  The sparseness works well to highlight your voice, as does your hard panning which allows for plenty of space.  I think you might have some options in that regard, but that's just a niggle.  I wonder if some mandolin might work somewhere in the song to give it some "glue", so to speak.  Again, just a minor niggle.  All in all, very impressive, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2020 at 1:39 AM, Lynn said:

Philip, this is a pleasant surprise!  I love the song and think that it's close to being stellar.  The sparseness works well to highlight your voice, as does your hard panning which allows for plenty of space.  I think you might have some options in that regard, but that's just a niggle.  I wonder if some mandolin might work somewhere in the song to give it some "glue", so to speak.  Again, just a minor niggle.  All in all, very impressive, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks Lynn. I love the idea of mandolin or perhaps a uke. As I make music purely as a hobby now, I'm always building on tracks over a long long period of time, constantly editing and adding, so next time I come back to this track I'll try out what you suggested.

• Like 1

The opening phrase needs to be a little louder for me as it was breaking up here, probably the Internet as much as anything.  Other than that the mix works on the Adam's.  It sounds like you have crafted it well, as Lynn notes the space between is welcome, thanks for sharing.

For future reference better to post a direct link rather than to FB or even Spotify.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Wookiee said:

The opening phrase needs to be a little louder for me as it was breaking up here, probably the Internet as much as anything.  Other than that the mix works on the Adam's.  It sounds like you have crafted it well, as Lynn notes the space between is welcome, thanks for sharing.

For future reference better to post a direct link rather than to FB or even Spotify.

Thanks for the feedback Wookiee. I like using the Spitfire String instruments to lead into most of my tracks... I feel in love with the sound of Frozen Strings and use it on nearly everything I do now. 🥶

I know it's counter intuitive in this age of 'get to the hook in the first 20 seconds' to have intros, but I still like to believe that there are some people out there, like myself, who enjoy long lead ins.  I was listening to an interview with a famous R&B artist the other day and she was saying how much she dislikes the way modern music assumes the audience won't enjoy a long intro before getting to the verses...'credit your audience with some intelligence' was the phrase she used. I like that. It goes against the grain of all that you read, but I like that idea. Some of my favourite Elliott Smith tracks have reallllly long intros which only makes the gem that follows that more enjoyable . IMHO. 😉

Would a bandcamp link be better in the future?

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

'get to the hook in the first 20 seconds'

I think you only need to do this if a song is a throw away song and this song is not a throw away song.  A long introduction gives you chance to prepare.

2 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Would a bandcamp link be better in the future?

Yes Bandcamp is good, really any of the streaming services that do not need something installed are fine Philip, I will not listen to stuff on Spotify as it did require something to be installed, do not know if it still does but.....

• Thanks 1