Wish List

jimlynch22

1 hour ago, jimlynch22 said:

PDF are still one of the number one attack vectors. You made it slightly better by using pdf, but I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole unless I'm on a computer with Sandboxie on it. 

I suggest you copy and paste your contents into the post. The more difficult you make it to see what your requests are, the less likely they are to be implemented. 

As of version 2020.04

Desired features

1.      Save state of ALT-X in Workspaces

2.      Ability to edit track name in piano roll view track pane

3.      Ability to show a split screen piano roll, each with a different track

4.      When the cursor tool is “erase” and set to “mute” mode, allow the tool draw/select groups of notes as it does when in “erase” mode

5.      Show the key signature in the transport module with the tempo

6.      In lists such as event list, meter/key list, tempo list, the ability mark and delete multiple items using Shift-Drag, Shift-DownArrow and Shift-PgDown

7.      The preferred Workspace in Track View  (e.g. mix, i/o, fx) should be saved with the project and/or the overall workspace

8.      An alternative “Fit Tracks” function to maximize the Automation Lanes, leaving main content lanes as is, or minimized

9.      Show and navigate file system shortcuts in the browser

10.   A function to invert a selection of notes around a designated root note.

Odd Behaviors 2020.04

1.      Exclusive solo does not always work when you turn solo on/off in  piano roll view

2.      CTL-D copy past of a clip does not obey “select track envelope with clip” setting

3.      My control surface configuration was lost in the upgrade to 2020.04 build 179, 64 bit

4.      Sometimes, playback does not stop at the last event

5.      In Piano Roll view, sometimes after dragging a note to lengthen it, it temporarily plays as 2 notes

14 minutes ago, jimlynch22 said:

7.      The preferred Workspace in Track View  (e.g. mix, i/o, fx) should be saved with the project and/or the overall workspace

I think what you call "preferred Workspace in  Track View (e.g. mix, i/o, fx)" is what I call "Track Control/Widget Preset" -- the set of track control widgets in effect when the Workspaced is saved, if that is chosen to be saved/restored.

As far as I have seen when it says [Workspace], the widgets are the ones saved with the Workspace.  I'm guessing you want it to say the specific name of the preset and not "[Workspace]." 

Intuitively, I seem to like knowing that the widgets are already set in the Workspace so I don't have to re-save it. Also, the way it currently is, if I temporarily change the widget preset, I know that the correct one is still stored with the Workspace because it doesn't say "[Workspace]."

Also, based on what I just tested, it seems that when my Workspace is set to "None," opening up an existing project does display the widgets [i.e., track control preset] the project was saved with.

Not 100% sure on all this as I am still learning the nuances of Workspaces, so I am open to corrections from those who have more experience with Workspaces and track controls.

11 hours ago, jimlynch22 said:

Desired features

1.      Save state of ALT-X in Workspaces   -  NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS ?

2.      Ability to edit track name in piano roll view track pane - YES GOOD IDEA, SEEMS ODD YOU CANNOT EDIT THE NAMES HERE

3.      Ability to show a split screen piano roll, each with a different track - THIS WOULD BE VERY USEFUL, IT COULD BE IMPLEMENTED BY CTRL-SELECTING THE TRACKS ON RIGHT OF THE PRV WHICH THEN SPLITS THE NOTES PANE

4.      When the cursor tool is “erase” and set to “mute” mode, allow the tool draw/select groups of notes as it does when in “erase” mode  AGREE

5.      Show the key signature in the transport module with the tempo - NEVER EVER TOLD CAKEWALK OR SONAR WHAT KEY I AM IN SO NOT SURE WHAT THE BENEFIT IS.  IF A CHORD TRACK FEATURE GETS ADDED THEN COULD BE IMPLEMENTED AS PART OF FEATURE SET

6.      In lists such as event list, meter/key list, tempo list, the ability mark and delete multiple items using Shift-Drag, Shift-DownArrow and Shift-PgDown - YES

7.      The preferred Workspace in Track View  (e.g. mix, i/o, fx) should be saved with the project and/or the overall workspace - SAME FOR ALL PREFS REALLY

8.      An alternative “Fit Tracks” function to maximize the Automation Lanes, leaving main content lanes as is, or minimized - GOOD IDEA

9.      Show and navigate file system shortcuts in the browser - BROWSER NEEDS COMPLETE OVERHAUL IMHO INTO A PROPER SAMPLE PLAYER/PREVIEW ENGINE WITH INDEXING OF FILES, METADATA SEARCH ETC. SEE SOMETHING LIKE ADSR SAMPLE MANAGER FOR HOW IT CAN BE DONE

10.   A function to invert a selection of notes around a designated root note. - NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS

On 6/8/2020 at 8:48 AM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

1.      Save state of ALT-X in Workspaces   -  NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS ?

I was confused by this, too. According to the default Key-bindings, ALT+X toggles Aim Assist on/off.  When I tested it (with ALT+X), the state of Aim Assist did not seem to get saved and restored via specific Workspaces.  (I don't think the reference is to Key-bindings, because those can be saved with Workspaces.)

I never use it (except when I see it referenced in the forum so I can teach myself about it), but just now it [the on/off status] did seem to persist regardless of Workspace or project.  

image.png.565cca6e749d74d8cbfe09eebc787328.png

I think if I were to use Aim Assist, I'd like it on all the time unless I explicitly toggled it off via Alt-X, but I can understand how others might want a whole bunch of settings (including Aim Assist on/off) set up by personal Workspaces.

If this is not what the comment refers to, I'll go with any forthcoming clarification.

See 

Edited by User 905133
(2) To add a relevant post re: Aim Assist (1) fixed typo

10 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I think if I were to use Aim Assist, I'd like it on all the time unless I explicitly toggled it off via Alt-X, but I can understand how others might want a whole bunch of settings (including Aim Assist on/off) set up by personal Workspaces.

I this is not what the comment refers to, I'll go with any forthcoming clarification.

Okay I think I have it now thanks. I've never used the Aim Assist, tried it on a project once when it was first introduced many years ago and I find it gets in the way ! But if it's on then the Alt-X seems to toggle the time/ location. of it 

5 hours ago, marled said:

+1, I would like this one, too.

A split in the PRV would be nice, though ideally I'd like to have multiple, unconnected PRV windows.

I produce backing tracks for my band, and include bass and drum parts A) so I can have a finished produced track for my own purposes, and B) as a "here's what I'd like you guys to play" teaching tool. It'd be really nice to have the drum and bass tracks displayed in their own PRV windows (and dragged out of the multidock onto a second monitor). That way the notes won't potentially overlap, and I can zoom them differently to best display the respective note ranges.

If for technical reasons the two (or more PRVs) would have to share the same horizontal scale, that wouldn't be the end of the world, though of course it'd be preferable of they could be set to different horizontal scales.

7 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

A split in the PRV would be nice, though ideally I'd like to have multiple, unconnected PRV windows.

I produce backing tracks for my band, and include bass and drum parts A) so I can have a finished produced track for my own purposes, and B) as a "here's what I'd like you guys to play" teaching tool. It'd be really nice to have the drum and bass tracks displayed in their own PRV windows (and dragged out of the multidock onto a second monitor). That way the notes won't potentially overlap, and I can zoom them differently to best display the respective note ranges.

If for technical reasons the two (or more PRVs) would have to share the same horizontal scale, that wouldn't be the end of the world, though of course it'd be preferable of they could be set to different horizontal scales.

This is possible today. After creating a PRV, right-click the tab if docked or the left Windows menu if undocked and lock the contents. Once locked, create another PRV and so on for as many copies of the PRV as needed.

For stacked and synced PRVs, the only option today is the inline PRV.

12 minutes ago, scook said:

This is possible today. After creating a PRV, right-click the tab if docked or the left Windows menu if undocked and lock the contents. Once locked, create another PRV and so on for as many copies of the PRV as needed.

Doesn't appear to work, at least not as expected/desired. I've got two floating PRVs, both set to "Lock Contents". But they don't display different tracks. Clicking 'bass' (or whatever) from the track list pane in either of them changes both of them to displaying the clicked track. I can have multiple PRVs all displaying the same track, which isn't especially useful.

Through a combination of random clicking around I can get one of them displaying the bass track (lit) and the drum track (ghosted) and the other one just displaying the bass track by itself, which is a thing... but what I want is just the bass track (lit) in one of them and just the drum track (lit) in the other. And in any event, I don't want a PRV track pane click in one of the PRVs changing anything going on in the other PRV.

On 6/8/2020 at 2:57 AM, jimlynch22 said:

As of version 2020.04

Desired features

10.   A function to invert a selection of notes around a designated root note.

Isn´t that what Process>Retrograde does?

On 6/8/2020 at 3:27 AM, marled said:

+1, I would like this one, too.

Definitely. And if each of these prv views or splits could have the option ghosting and locking other midi tracks, so you could have a frame of reference regardless of what view you are in, that would make writing harmonies better. 

For one, you don't have to keep checking to make sure you're adding notes to the right track before clicking oh, and you would be able to see it if two of your instruments are hitting the same note at the same time, without having to switch between tracks in prv. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 7:43 PM, User 905133 said:

I think what you call "preferred Workspace in  Track View (e.g. mix, i/o, fx)" is what I call "Track Control/Widget Preset" -- the set of track control widgets in effect when the Workspaced is saved, if that is chosen to be saved/restored.

As far as I have seen when it says [Workspace], the widgets are the ones saved with the Workspace.  I'm guessing you want it to say the specific name of the preset and not "[Workspace]." 

Intuitively, I seem to like knowing that the widgets are already set in the Workspace so I don't have to re-save it. Also, the way it currently is, if I temporarily change the widget preset, I know that the correct one is still stored with the Workspace because it doesn't say "[Workspace]."

Also, based on what I just tested, it seems that when my Workspace is set to "None," opening up an existing project does display the widgets [i.e., track control preset] the project was saved with.

Not 100% sure on all this as I am still learning the nuances of Workspaces, so I am open to corrections from those who have more experience with Workspaces and track controls.

on further testing, the selected track control widgets are saved when you save with the overall workspace.  I was confused since the [workspace] selector in the track view does not change (always shows "[workspace]" ) when you apply a new overall workpace or open a new project,  but the widgets do change according to what was saved in the workspace.   Good new info for me,  thanks.  Case closed.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 6:48 AM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

1.      Save state of ALT-X in Workspaces   -  NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS ?   In Track View, if you have Aim Assist turned on (hotkey=X), pressing hotkey ALT-X toggles a display of the ruler value (e.g. M:B:T and H:M:S:F) at the Aim Assist point .  I'd like to save the state of this display (on or off) in the overall Workspace.

2.      Ability to edit track name in piano roll view track pane - YES GOOD IDEA, SEEMS ODD YOU CANNOT EDIT THE NAMES HERE

3.      Ability to show a split screen piano roll, each with a different track - THIS WOULD BE VERY USEFUL, IT COULD BE IMPLEMENTED BY CTRL-SELECTING THE TRACKS ON RIGHT OF THE PRV WHICH THEN SPLITS THE NOTES PANE

4.      When the cursor tool is “erase” and set to “mute” mode, allow the tool draw/select groups of notes as it does when in “erase” mode  AGREE

5.      Show the key signature in the transport module with the tempo - NEVER EVER TOLD CAKEWALK OR SONAR WHAT KEY I AM IN SO NOT SURE WHAT THE BENEFIT IS.  IF A CHORD TRACK FEATURE GETS ADDED THEN COULD BE IMPLEMENTED AS PART OF FEATURE SET  If you have key changes in your project and you are writing or recording  into the project, it's helpful to know what key you are in at that point in the project, without having to look at the Meter/Key view and figuring it out from there.  What would be  a "Chord Track" feature? Sounds interesting.

6.      In lists such as event list, meter/key list, tempo list, the ability mark and delete multiple items using Shift-Drag, Shift-DownArrow and Shift-PgDown - YES

7.      The preferred Workspace in Track View  (e.g. mix, i/o, fx) should be saved with the project and/or the overall workspace - SAME FOR ALL PREFS REALLY

8.      An alternative “Fit Tracks” function to maximize the Automation Lanes, leaving main content lanes as is, or minimized - GOOD IDEA

9.      Show and navigate file system shortcuts in the browser - BROWSER NEEDS COMPLETE OVERHAUL IMHO INTO A PROPER SAMPLE PLAYER/PREVIEW ENGINE WITH INDEXING OF FILES, METADATA SEARCH ETC. SEE SOMETHING LIKE ADSR SAMPLE MANAGER FOR HOW IT CAN BE DONE

10.   A function to invert a selection of notes around a designated root note. - NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS.  This would be a composing tool, just as Process>Retrograde is.   Let's say you have a melody C, D, E.  Inverting around the root (key of) C would give you a new melody C, A#, C#.   If you were in the key of Eb, the C, D, E melody would invert to F#, E,  D.       It's very useful in writing variations on a theme. You'd need a genius programmer, however.