Slurs Revisited

Okay, so  first thing, I did a search on the topic and I found this thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Slurs-m2700315.aspx

It wasn't helpful.

This is what I've got going on and what I'm trying to do. I've written a part to which I've assigned a TTS-1 patch -- jazz guitar -- and there are quite a few areas in this score where I would like to be able to duplicate hammers and pull-off, and even the occasional string bend. I'm not a keyboardist (although I own a couple), so I'm not even going to try playing the part on my keyboard using the wheel. 

In the past, I've used the event list to actually get in there and type in the numeric value of pitch changes. That wasn't difficult to do if I played the part using  my Roland GR-33 Guitar Synth because it would produce lots of wheel events that  I could then edit. But the problem with writing out the score is I don't get all these wheel events. It's all just straight notes, one after the other, with no wheel events in between them. In this case it means that I actually have to create wheel events so that I can type in these values, and that is a major headache. Each event takes at least a couple minutes to produce and I'll end up probably having to type in many hundreds of wheel events for this entire piece. Many hundreds of minutes. You do the math.

I'm aware of the various controls that can be configured in the Piano Roll, and they include things like Portamento and Modulation, but I haven't been able to get them to do anything meaningful. There's also the Wheel Controller, which is very hard to use because just a touch of the mouse can cause hundreds of digits of deflection, so trying to get things just right will also be a major chore.

So, just wondering, is there anything available I can use to "automate" this process?  I mean, I can export the part as a MIDI file and then try calling it up in something else, to which I can add the slurs. I'm thinking. Or is there a relatively painless way to get this done in Cakewalk?

For about 20 years, In the PRV,  I use the mouse to actually draw pitch bend events in Cakewalk. 

When I do this, one thing I do make sure is that I enable Global Snap (N)....  However, as my Global snap is set to 1/16, I also enable PRV snap override and set that override to 64th triplet. (I have set keybindings to make this easier).  1/16 create noticeable steps in the pitch bends - I normally don't want those in a guitar bend sound - especially pedal steels.

I find that if Global Snap is disabled when entering draw wheel events (and controller events as well), I end up with way too many events in a short space. (some synths bork at that)

You can also adjust the contour and curvature of the pitch bend events with the transform tool in the PRV.  This is useful if you need to adjust the rate of change of pitch or change the curve from linear to a more curved change.  I use the transform tool all the time.

• Like 1

Okay, just so's you know -- I'm not a Cakewalk power user. I know enough of the basics in order to get done what I need, as long as what I need doesn't get too tricky, I suppose. I did a fair amount of searching through the Help Index before I realized that PRV stands for Piano Roll View. Duh! Which ended up being kind of frustrating because I've been trying to get things done in the Piano Roll with no useable results. And since most of  your post was just so much Greek to me, I decided to search for a tutorial on the PRV. I found a couple, right off, and just finished watching one. It answered several questions I had. Still dunno where to find Global Snap, though, unless that's the name for the drop-down column of snap values. Still not clear on PRV snap override, but hopefully I'll be able to puzzle it out quickly enough.  I'll check back in with more questions if I still have some after I've watched more videos. Thanks.

Edited by Michael McBroom