TTS-1 Multitimbral set up?

I was never able to use TTS-1 as multi-timbral. In fact, years ago I called Cakewalk, and was told it was not really possible to do. No matter; I can't use TTs-1 at all anymore for some obscure reason that nobody has been able to figure out. It will be interesting to hear whether you are indeed able to do it.

22 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

I was never able to use TTS-1 as multi-timbral. In fact, years ago I called Cakewalk, and was told it was not really possible to do. No matter; I can't use TTs-1 at all anymore for some obscure reason that nobody has been able to figure out. It will be interesting to hear whether you are indeed able to do it.

As a test, I loaded up a single instance of TTS-1.  Then I set up 4 MIDI tracks and routed these MIDI tracks to this single instance of TTS-1

Track 1 - Piano

Track 2 - Strings

track 3 -Trumpet

Track 4  - Drums

I was able to record the parts separately using my PCR-800 MIDI controller - building up the parts as I went.

When finished recording all parts, I played them back.  All parts played with their own sounds simultaneously

The whole process took under two minutes in CbB 2020.5 Build 039 on Windows 10

So, yes, a single instance of TTS-1 in indeed multitimbral.

I had no issues getting it to work multitimbral.  I even set up a template using two instances of it with 8 tracks.  All tracks recorded and played back properly.  It’s a very underrated program IMO.  You can do a lot with it.

SMD

• Like 1

I agree. Another benefit--I find the buttons on the bottom are great for making sure Windows audio settings Cakewalk's audio routing are working (very quick built-in diagnostic tool).  If you haven't see it, there is an extensive midi implementation document available from the Help button.   

Edited by User 905133
"in" -> "it"

You can configure Tts1 to play all 16 midi channels. It is only limited by its mixer and the possibilities offered are actually a lot. Example you can edit the effects and the sounds if you dig into the menus. 

I think where people go wrong is using it in a simple instrument track.  TTS1 was made to use the old school way with 16 (or more) midi tracks.  Each track has its own midi channel. You can divide the output into four sub mixes which is handy if you wish to add VST processing to just certain instruments. 

I Use it to preview download midi files. It is most certainly multitimbral And one of the easiest VST synths to use   

The sounds are sort of dull mostly because it is not sample based and the effects are lo fi. 

• 2 weeks later...

I need to clarify my remark, so people don't think I'm getting senile. I was confusing TTS-1 with Dimension Pro, for some reason. It was re: Dim Pro that I had called Cakewalk many years ago, and was told that it's not really meant as a multi-timbral instrument.  Just a harmless little brain fart. 

5 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

I need to clarify my remark, so people don't think I'm getting senile. I was confusing TTS-1 with Dimension Pro, for some reason. It was re: Dim Pro that I had called Cakewalk many years ago, and was told that it's not really meant as a multi-timbral instrument.  Just a harmless little brain fart. 

Glad to hear it was temporary!

4 hours ago, mdiemer said:

Dimension pro can also be a four part Multi-timbral synth.  An extract from the help file

To Use Dimension as a Multi-timbral Instrument

Load the program that you want to use as a multi-timbral program.
Click the Options button  . The Options dialog appears.
Check the Set Program As Multi-timbral option, and click OK.
Save the program, if you want to change it to a multi-timbral program.

When a program is in Multi-timbral mode, the four Elements respond to MIDI channels 1-4, respectively.

4 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Dimension pro can also be a four part Multi-timbral synth.  An extract from the help file

To Use Dimension as a Multi-timbral Instrument

Load the program that you want to use as a multi-timbral program.
Click the Options button  . The Options dialog appears.
Check the Set Program As Multi-timbral option, and click OK.
Save the program, if you want to change it to a multi-timbral program.

When a program is in Multi-timbral mode, the four Elements respond to MIDI channels 1-4, respectively.

Yes, I tried heroically to get it to work as multi-timbral never happened. But it's no matter, I only use a few instances of DP  per project.