No audio devices detected

brandon

I have alternated between using a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface and the onboard Realtek soundcard of my PC. i.e. when am not using CBB I unhook the AI and the PC defaults to the Realtek for playback of 'ordinary' sounds . I can also listen to CBB projects via Realtek. 

Having not used CBB for a week or two I opened it up tonight (without the AI plugged in) and before the application opened  I was advised that there wee no audio devices detected on my PC. So when it opened I went to Edit>preferences> playback and recording and it did not find any audio devices.

I am not sure whether or not this occurred before I was asked to download the CBB update (as the request came as i was opening the project) or straight after.

I plugged the Focusrite in, launched CBB and it was recognised as the audio device.  I unplugged it and rebooted CBB with the no audio devices detected message. The Realtek still plays music and other sounds its just CBB seems to have disassociated itself with it.

Has anyone any thoughts?

My guess is there is more to the message displayed by CbB possibly related to the driver mode the program is configured to use.

When possible providing a screen capture of the error message is best. Second best is an "exact" reproduction of the message text.

On 6/4/2020 at 10:06 PM, scook said:

My guess is there is more to the message displayed by CbB possibly related to the driver mode the program is configured to use.

When possible providing a screen capture of the error message is best. Second best is an "exact" reproduction of the message text.

Hi thanks. I hope the attached image helps.

Capture.JPG

You might try switching to WASAPI if you're currently using ASIO.

Lately I've been doing a lot of fiddling with my audio interface trying to get Jamkazam to work. In the process, I'll often end up with the "no device" issue. For example, CW will work OK but WMP says there's no device, or YouTube videos and/or Netflix come up silent with no messages. That could be because I use WASAPI for CW, while Jamkazam insists on ASIO and won't run if it can't find an ASIO device.

However, my experiences may be irrelevant to your situation. I have the onboard audio permanently disabled.

• Thanks 1

It is as I suggested, the error message is telling you the driver mode selected in the DAW has no devices available and it is providing information on where and how to remedy the problem.

IOW, when the Focusrite interface (which normally uses ASIO) is not available the DAW shows the message you received because the PC sound chip cannot use ASIO mode except for a very buggy RealTek driver. So the driver mode must be changed to one of the WASAPI, WDM or MME modes in order for the DAW to use the PC sound chip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We should offer to auto switch the driver mode to WASAPI when no audio devices are detected.

Good idea but it had better popup a description dialog to accept/deny, not silently switching.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We should offer to auto switch the driver mode to WASAPI when no audio devices are detected.

I think that's a good idea, Noel. This past year we've seen an enormous influx of new users, many of whom could be easily stumped by such problems.

As long as it's not a silent workaround and the offer comes up in a yes/no messagebox. That way, users will have the option of either accepting the suggested fix or addressing it themselves. Some users are married to ASIO for one reason or another, and would prefer to troubleshoot the issue first. I'm normally not a fan of such potentially annoying verbosity, but it's not like this scenario is going to be an everyday occurrence.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Sounds good Noel. Is that something that could possibly happen in a future update.

18 hours ago, scook said:

It is as I suggested, the error message is telling you the driver mode selected in the DAW has no devices available and it is providing information on where and how to remedy the problem.

IOW, when the Focusrite interface (which normally uses ASIO) is not available the DAW shows the message you received because the PC sound chip cannot use ASIO mode except for a very buggy RealTek driver. So the driver mode must be changed to one of the WASAPI, WDM or MME modes in order for the DAW to use the PC sound chip.

Thank you.

18 hours ago, bitflipper said:

As long as it's not a silent workaround and the offer comes up in a yes/no messagebox. That way, users will have the option of either accepting the suggested fix or addressing it themselves. Some users are married to ASIO for one reason or another, and would prefer to troubleshoot the issue first. I'm normally not a fan of such potentially annoying verbosity, but it's not like this scenario is going to be an everyday occurrence.

Completely agree.

Could Windows have hijacked the audio interface ASIO drivers?

That happens sometimes, where Windows automatically assigns an audio interface's ASIO drivers as the default sound device for Windows, for playing of Windows sounds, and Windows Media Player, and YouTube videos, etc..

I always go into Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices, and disable any and all devices shown for my audio interface,  under both the Playback, and Recording tabs. That stops Windows from hijacking the audio interface's ASIO drivers, as I only want Cakewalk, or other stand-alone instrument software, to have access to my audio interface.

I've been having this issue intermittently recently, when first booting up. A reboot solves it. My interface is a Presonus Quantum. I havent changed anything nor do I do anything different when booting up in the morning. It doesn't happen all the time, but has happened more in the last week or two than before. Easy enough to resolve, but annoying, nonetheless.