Upgrading Melodyne Essential 4 (from SONAR Platinum) to version 5

This question has come up a few times so I I am sharing some info I got from Celemony. This primarily applies to SONAR users who are now using Cakewalk by BandLab. As part of SONAR Platinum users got a license of Melodyne 4 Essential.  (If you are a new Cakewalk by BandLab user you are offered the trial version of Melodyne)

Melodyne 5 has many advantages over Melodyne 4, including ARA 2 integration and workflow improvements. As far as Melodyne 5 Essential goes the biggest advantage is that unlike version 4, it supports polyphonic pitch to MIDI out of the box. In version 4 you had to purchase Melodyne Editor to get this.   

To get your free Melodyne essential update to Melodyne version 5.

a. Login to your Celemony user account and find Melodyne 4 Essential 

unnamed.jpg

b. Click License Options

c. Click the Download button for your free update.

d. Install Melodyne

That should be it. If you have any issues transferring your license contact Celemony support.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

@Noel Borthwick Thanks for the infos! I have Melodyne Editor 4, but at the moment I do not have the cash to upgrade to version 5. Thus I have the following question: Is it somehow possible to use both Melodyne Essential 5 and Melodyne Editor 4 in CbB ? With 2 region FX entries ?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, marled said:

@Noel Borthwick Thanks for the infos! I have Melodyne Editor 4, but at the moment I do not have the cash to upgrade to version 5. Thus I have the following question: Is it somehow possible to use both Melodyne Essential 5 and Melodyne Editor 4 in CbB ? With 2 region FX entries ?

You can't have version 4 & 5 installed at the same time.

As soon as you install version 5, it removes version 4 and deactivates your v4 license. It actually forced me to remove my v4 license from my iLok account before activating the v5 one.

In saying that, once installed & activated, it was pretty smooth and ran in CbB without issue.

Also, there's no actual difference in the Essential vs Editor vs Studio program. It's the same program, but activates the various features based on your license.

Oh - and remember... Melodyne 5 does not work in Window 7.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

As soon as you install version 5, it removes version 4 and deactivates your v4 license.

I guess "deactivates" means on local system only!

In the first moment I thought I had not made clear that my Editor and Essential license are 2 different ones. But then I have understood. 😉

5 hours ago, marled said:

No because 5 replaces version 4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2020 at 3:01 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

This question has come up a few times so I I am sharing some info I got from Celemony. This primarily applies to SONAR users who are now using Cakewalk by BandLab. As part of SONAR Platinum users got a license of Melodyne 4 Essential.  (If you are a new Cakewalk by BandLab user you are offered the trial version of Melodyne)

@Noel Borthwick or any CW (ex-)Sonar Platinum user...

After finding this post from last year that says Sonar Platinum users had a copy of Melodyne Essential included in Platinum (not just a trial), I went looking for  the Celemony directory for Melodyne to take advantage of the free license, since I own and still have Platinum installed.

The directory I found had Melodyne.exe file dated 6/08/2017, along with a PDF file and a DLL file for Rewire.

I had never "activated" Melodyne on Sonar Platinum and can't recall when Bandlab issued their first release of Cakewalk.

Can anyone tell me if the 6/08/2017 Meleodyne.exe file is the one supplied with Sonar Platinum? If so, I'll pursue trying to get it activated with Celemony. Not sure what their system looks for to confirm that I have Sonar Platinum installed, but matbe can still get a non-trial version of Melodyne4, which could also be upgradeable to Melodyne5 per Noel's post if that made sense.

Fingers crossed that I might have an additional benefit from my "lifetime" Sonar Platinum license!

You should be able to install the old version of melodyne and then upgrade it from the melodyne UI itself afik. 
As long as you have a legit Melodyne essential serial number it should upgrade to the latest Melodyne Essential version. 
If you have trouble contact Celemony support and they will help you out.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:24 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

No because 5 replaces version 4.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:41 AM, marled said:

@Noel Borthwick Thanks for the infos! I have Melodyne Editor 4, but at the moment I do not have the cash to upgrade to version 5. Thus I have the following question: Is it somehow possible to use both Melodyne Essential 5 and Melodyne Editor 4 in CbB ? With 2 region FX entries ?

I'm not sure about what Melodyne Essential can do, but there is really no reason to run 2 region entries with Melodyne Editor because it's polyphonic and you can "highlight" the tracks and sections you want and it will run 2 tracks in 2 instances.

Melodyne Editor 5 is the BOMB! Super fast and accurate load times, and I believe if you liked v4 you are going to LOVE the improvements in v5.

Edited by Steev

• 1 year later...