Accessing an external compressor in a track

I do this with the UA6176 - actually have it split into two sides (Preamp and compressor). Will work the same for you but you only need one mono channel. I don't view it as an "Internal" plug in" but as a signal chain that can be reswizzled as needed. 

in my case with the VS-700 (Should work the same with any I/O device) I have VS-700 OUT 1-2 connected to the inputs of the 6176 - Left is the Pre-amp, Right is the compressor). Then I have the output of the 6176 going to inputs on the VS-700 (In my case 3-4 - Preamp on the left, compressor on the right)

So, to use the compressor, I just set what ever channel I am working with to output to VS-700 Out 1-2 (Right) or I may elect to use it with a send - depends on whether I want the upstream FX included - often I do as I EQ before compression almost always.  I then set up a new track with VS-700 3-4 (Right) as the input and route it to the correct bus.  

By the way - Setting Friendly names in the device settings makes this much easier to use in production - so all the I/O ports associated with the UA6176 have been relabeled with the friendly name UA6176  

Edited by StudioNSFW