Norwegian - Kråkstad I Mitt Hjerte

garybrun

I like it. Your mix has a wide quality, lots of panning choices and movement. I found the bass guitar one big low sustained fill, rather than a "part" - but for this western style son g, that's what you want and need! 

Did you actively pan the B3 around a bit? Did it move from right side, occassionally to the left? If so, that might be an unnatural movement of a hulking big organ - would we have expected to hear it scraping across the stage?  :)   Perhaps I just imagined this.

Cool vocals and mix. Have no idea what they are saying, care to share?

I didn't love the snare, I thought it a bit overtoney but most likely that's what the lad brought in . . . It works ok.

Guitars towards the end just a hair jangly/out of tune? 2:14 they are clashing a bit.

These are the nits. It's a lively little number, and well done all.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I like it. Your mix has a wide quality, lots of panning choices and movement. I found the bass guitar one big low sustained fill, rather than a "part" - but for this western style son g, that's what you want and need! 

Yes it was a choice of what to do with the bass.
Wasntt sure if I got it the correct volume.
What I do is add a VU meter to the master buss...  solo the kick until it his 80 and then solo the kick and bass...  bring up the bass until it hits zero and then build of that.

Did you actively pan the B3 around a bit? Did it move from right side, occassionally to the left? If so, that might be an unnatural movement of a hulking big organ - would we have expected to hear it scraping across the stage?     Perhaps I just imagined this.

I didnt pan the B3... its just recorded in Stereo.
It could be that one side of the mix was masking out and made it feel like it was being panned around

Cool vocals and mix. Have no idea what they are saying, care to share?

It wouldnt make sence if I translated as it wont rhyme and also some words do go.

I didn't love the snare, I thought it a bit overtoney but most likely that's what the lad brought in . . . It works ok.

I agree with the snare comment.
I replaced it with Trigger...   but couldn't find what I wanted.
I always find in my case getting the correct sound on a snare difficult.

Guitars towards the end just a hair jangly/out of tune? 2:14 they are clashing a bit.

I will go back and see what Melodyne can do.
Do you think the vocals where a tad too loud?

These are the nits. It's a lively little number, and well done all.

cheers,

-Tom

Once again thanks for the comments they are really appreciated.

All the best as always,

Gary

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

Wonderful melody and performance. I really like the country flavor of the song such that I was expecting a fiddle in a couple of spots there.

Thanks for listening Bjørn.
I agree about the fiddle... would love to have one in there too.
Not sure I have ever mixed one though...  200 - 16k if its the same as a violin??

8 hours ago, garybrun said:

Thanks for listening Bjørn.
I agree about the fiddle... would love to have one in there too.
Not sure I have ever mixed one though...  200 - 16k if its the same as a violin??

I also wondered about that. There's a fiddle in the kontakt factory library, that I've used in a project to get a nordic folk sound. I always thought it was the same instrument, just played differently, but I'm not really sure. I certainly sound different than a solo violin in a strings collection.

River Valley
https://youtu.be/0KRPQezGw6M

Hi, Gary,

Really good song!  Well performed and arranged, nicely recorded and the mix sounds great!🙂

Really cool, that's the first time I've ever heard "Scandinavian Country-Western", but the pleasant melodies, harmonies and excellent mix would fit in very nicely on the Classic Country radio stations here in the states!

Of course, I couldn't understand the lyrics,(Something? in My Heart?), but it sure sounded great!👍

Fantastic work, Gary, have a wonderful weekend!
Bob

2 hours ago, Bob Oister said:

Hi, Gary,

Really good song!  Well performed and arranged, nicely recorded and the mix sounds great!🙂

Really cool, that's the first time I've ever heard "Scandinavian Country-Western", but the pleasant melodies, harmonies and excellent mix would fit in very nicely on the Classic Country radio stations here in the states!

Of course, I couldn't understand the lyrics,(Something? in My Heart?), but it sure sounded great!👍

Fantastic work, Gary, have a wonderful weekend!
Bob

Thanks for listening Bob,
Kråkstad...  is the village where I live.
The song is about our village and its in our hearts.

This is really my first completed mix of a song.
Been spending most of my time learning and tuning ears etc over the years.
I have been a cakewalk user since the very beginning and still use the VS-700 system with the BandLab version.

To be honest I've been an entertainer for many years and Im loosing some of my hearing (55yrs old) especially in the human speech range.
Too much working with loud music over the years but reference tracks help to counteract for that.

Mostly work with live sound, video editing and do quite a few Voice Over projects.
As Im retired now I plan to spend more time with my first love..  MUSIC!  🙂

On 2/15/2019 at 6:35 AM, garybrun said:

Hi Tom.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes it was a choice of what to do with the bass.
Wasntt sure if I got it the correct volume.
What I do is add a VU meter to the master buss...  solo the kick until it his 80 and then solo the kick and bass...  bring up the bass until it hits zero and then build of that.

I didnt pan the B3... its just recorded in Stereo.
It could be that one side of the mix was masking out and made it feel like it was being panned around

It wouldnt make sence if I translated as it wont rhyme and also some words do go.

I agree with the snare comment.
I replaced it with Trigger...   but couldn't find what I wanted.
I always find in my case getting the correct sound on a snare difficult.

I will go back and see what Melodyne can do.
Do you think the vocals where a tad too loud?

Once again thanks for the comments they are really appreciated.

All the best as always,

Gary

I think the bass sits very well as is, and no, I didn't think the vocals loud at all.

Hey, is Norway all it's cracked up to be? #1 in Quality of Life index? which is where it typically ranks . . .

cheers,

-Tom

1 hour ago, Starise said:

I take it this isn't a sad song. Has a nice uplifting feel to it. Great mix Gary. I hope to hear more. I only wish I knew Norwegian good enough to tell what they are saying. Oh well.

HI and thanks for taking the time to listen.
Its not a sad song... its praising our village and how it looks and activities that go on within it.