Saving mix scene vs saving project

timboalogo

Hi all,

2 questions:

a) When I save a scene, have I saved the project? I ask because there is a star next to the project name at the top left of the screen.

2) Vice versa, when I save a project have I also saved the scene? I ask because there is a star next to the project name at the top left of the screen.

This process is not intuitive to me ...

Thanks,

Timbo

Edited by timboalogo
Sorry, asked the same question twice!

4 minutes ago, John said:

I'm an inveterate project save as person. I like to save a version that is significantly different from the one before.  That way I can go back. LOL  

Thanks!  

I'm like that too (maybe you're not stubborn and older and don't like newfangled thangs, but I am!), but I'm really trying to learn to use and take advantage of Sonar's newer features.

PS The first time I read your post I read "invertebrate" ...

Edited by timboalogo

LOL 

I am older and also like new tech. I also work with other DAWs and other editing programs and like to have a simple way to have a history of what I did.  Save as is my preferred method. I use scenes for a/bing different setups within a project.   

12 hours ago, timboalogo said:

a) When I save a scene, have I saved the project? I ask because there is a star next to the project name at the top left of the screen.

2) Vice versa, when I save a scene have I also saved the project? I ask because there is a star next to the project name at the top left of the screen.

Let's see. Similar questions, your a) and 2).

In case a) you are saving a scene, and you want to know if you've saved the project. No, you have not. And yes, a good indicator that you haven't is if there is an asterisk next to the project name in Cakewalk's title bar.

Now in case 2) you want to know whether when you save a scene you have also saved the project. Nope. And if you see an asterisk next to the project's filename up in the title bar, that means that there has been some change made and the project file not saved since that change.

In short, no to both.

15 minutes ago, timboalogo said:

Sorry, I've edited the original post - I asked the same question twice as SK pointed out instead of the vice versa.

Thanks for all replies!

Thank goodness!

I wanted to help but got stuck in an endless loop... Had me really confused.

I'm glad all is now clear :)

1 hour ago, synkrotron said:

I wanted to help but got stuck in an endless loop

Phew, I thought it was just me that couldn't see the difference.

As for scenes v save as, I tried the scenes thing once and didn't really find it very useful as it took just as much time to sort itself out as it did to switch between regular versions like I'd always done before.

• Like 1

I did a test shortly after Mix Scenes was available. I wanted to see if I could change the outs in BDF3  and test how the sound was impacted. What I found is it worked very well and I was able to decide the best output configuration using  Mix Scenes.  The main reason it was useful was that it did not take a long time to switch.  I think it is very useful. Because it can deal with just about anything one wishes to A/B. 

I like Save AS for creating a new project without overwriting the old.  This lets me increment my projects over time. I can always go back and start over.  Keep in mind a project can have any number of Mix Scenes.  They can be for different things.  Its a compliment to Save As not a replacement.