New Song: Love Can Turn the Page

Ed Driscoll

This was a tune I wrote and recorded in late November and early December (on Sonar Platinum), and mixed down last weekend, built around a bunch of guitars:

Electric on left channel is a 1983 Fender ’57 Strat reissue.
Electric on right channel is the 2000 Les Paul R9 in my avatar.
Acoustic on left channel is a 2006 Gibson Everly Brothers.
Acoustic on right channel is a 2019 Taylor GS Mini in high-strung Nashville tuning.
Bass is a 1983 Fender P-Bass.
Lead Guitar is a 1983 Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Way in the background is a synth pad played on a Roland-Ready Strat into the Roland VG-88 guitar modeling rig.

All of electrics were run through the Eventide H9000 Crush Station fuzz effect into the Strymon Iridium amp and cab modeling pedal.
Vocals were recorded through a Neumann U67 reissue mic, into a Chandler Ltd. Redd.47 preamp, into an Universal 1176 reissue FET compressor into a Warm Audio WA-2A tube compressor.
Drums are Superior Drummer 3; and I overdubbed an assortment of hand percussion (cowbell, tambourine, and triangle) into a Shure KSM-313 ribbon mic into a Cloudlifter pre-amp.

Incidentally, how do I embed a playable SoundCloud clip?

Edited by Ed Driscoll

Ed, I'm more of a casual listener than an audio engineer but I can hear that things need some work.
Guitars are very good. Good voc but could use some pitch correction here and there and maybe more reverb. Drums seem kind of tame - need more punch. Same with the bass.

It's a well structured and very promising song that just needs tweaking.  Thanks for posting.

3 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Ed, I'm more of a casual listener than an audio engineer but I can hear that things need some work.
Guitars are very good. Good voc but could use some pitch correction here and there and maybe more reverb. Drums seem kind of tame - need more punch. Same with the bass.

It's a well structured and very promising song that just needs tweaking.  Thanks for posting.

Thanks for listening. I agree with all of your comments, but especially the drums. I love the flexibility of Superior Drummer 3, but it seems like it takes quite a bit of work to give them some "oomph."