Crash, unhandled exception

jonathan boose

"Unhandled Exception"

I thought I had eliminated crashes by freezing almost every track and emptying the picture cache but it found a new way to crash and now it does it instantly upon starting up the program. Ideas?

Win 7 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

There is no "AppData" folder so I can't access the crash dump file.

unhandled exception.jpg

Edited by jonathan boose

This happened to me a few weeks ago - same error message. It turned out my keyboard controller (Edirol PCR-500) was messing with CbB.  I did a factory reset of the keyboard and it's been fine since. Can't guarantee it is your answer, but it may help.

Thanks for responding.

My keyboard controller hasn't been connected to my computer since before I installed Bandlab.

The projects I'm currently working on are all audio files, no MIDI.

I located the hidden minidump file but Windows can't open it.

can't open.jpg

Edited by jonathan boose

I came across a way to possibly handle unhandled exceptions for Win 7.  You can turn off Data Exception Prevention. I got hung up on step 9, though.

I can't find anything labeled as an .exe file under Cakewalk or Bandlab.  I don't even know if this is relevant or if it would work:

You need to turn off DEP for the program. Steps below:

1. Select your Windows Start icon and when the menu appears, right-click on Computer and select Properties

2. Dialog will appear

3.Select Advanced system Settings in the above dialog box.

4. System Properties dialog will appear

5. Under Advanced Tab, select Settings

6. Performance Options dialog will appear

7. Under the Data Exception Prevention tab, select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select: and select the Add button

8. Open Dialog will appear

9. Select the .exe file of your application.

10. Select OK

11. Dialog may appear asking you to restart your computer. If so then restart your computer.

12. Now try running your application.

Edited by jonathan boose

3 hours ago, jonathan boose said:

Where did all these ".cwp.assets" files come from? I've never seen that before and I've been a user since Sonar 6.

They seem to have been spontaneously generated in all project folders.

Maybe it's a clue?

assets.jpg

Note the dates on the assets files. These files are part of Gobbler integration in X3. There is a preference setting to suppress creating them in X3. The feature was only in X3. Since Gobbler changed it service years ago, the assets files serve no purpose and may be deleted.

Thanks Scook, I'll check that out tomorrow. It's 2:20 am here in NY and I'm taking the rest of the night off.

I've got a question before I go:

I've regarded Gobbler as a necessary evil for some plugins. But I never had this problem with X3.

And this happened after I stopped using X3 and had been using Bandlab for a while successfully.

This type of  crash only happened while using Bandlab.  The cwp.assets  files  never showed up in the project folders until yesterday. The cwp.assets  files weren't being created in X3 because I wasn't using X3.

I'm using X3 now, because I couldn't get BandLab's mojo working.

Or, I'm confused because I'm tired.

I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks for your input, Scook.

Edited by jonathan boose

Things to try:

Hold shift down whilst opening the project (or opening CbB) to open it in safe mode, to rule out any problem plugins.

If it's more of a general problem, then try deleting AUD.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core. Also try re-installing your audio drivers.

Check that no other processes are trying to access any of Cakewalk's files or your project files. Common culprits are virus checkers (including Windows Defender) and OneSync or any other cloud sync program. Make sure your the following directories are excluded from any of these programs:

All the Cakewalk folders, e.g. Cakewalk global audio folder, picture folder and the folders listed in Cakewalk preferences

• Your VST folders
  • %APPDATA%/Cakewalk
  • Documents\Cakewalk

It's probably worth sending your crash dump to Cakewalk support.

The AppData folder is hidden, but you can get to it by pasting the following into Windows explorer:

%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps\

If you've solved your issue with CbB crashing on startup, but it's only crashing when opening an older X3 project try this:

• Create a blank project in CbB
  • Browser to your project using the Media Browser on the right hand side
  • Drag the project on to the track area

This should import the old project into your new one. 

14 hours ago, scook said:

Note the dates on the assets files. These files are part of Gobbler integration in X3. There is a preference setting to suppress creating them in X3. The feature was only in X3. Since Gobbler changed it service years ago, the assets files serve no purpose and may be deleted.

Thanks, Scook. I did this and BandLab is working.  For some reason I can't remember, I was recently prompted to reinstall Gobbler and when I did, at the end I got some kind of error message, not installed, bad install or something.  After changing the preference setting and deleting the assets files in the project folder I opened a couple of projects without incident.