Modelling mic users

STEVEN CASEY

Question

Anyone have personal experience using Slate VMS or Antelope Edge Duo? Good experience, happy with them? Any considerations before buying either of them or reasons why you chose one over the other? Would I have any issues with either of these using my Octa-Capture? I was also looking at the Townsend Sphere but it seems I'd need to upgrade to a UAD interface and not sure I'm ready to go that far.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

i've had the Slate VMS one + ML1 and i have some ML2 for quite a while now, use it (ML1) main mic for a while before switching to a u87 atm. The mic itself is a pretty decent mic without the emulations, quite bright sounding (some people thinks is a bit too sibilant). The emulations are nice to play around/change in post after recording. using different mic emulations for different layers def gives a different texture without the hassle of swapping mics.  The ML2 is a pretty good deal for the price, decent SDC but the buttons on the Mics break realllllly easily, brought 3 mics out twice and already 2 of the plastic buttons broke... you can still toggle with the switch with a pen or something.

Does it sound 100% like the real deal? That is debatable but i would say the on axis emulation for the Slate can be quite accurate. Do note the Townsend sphere is a dual capsule while the Slate ones are all single only.