What do you use Cakewalk for? Inspirational thread. :)

GreenLight

I thought it could be a fun and inspirational thread to hear what kind of stuff you do with Cakewalk and in what circumstances! :D

I just read that someone uses Cakewalk in radio shows every weekend and I've seen a lot of other exciting uses. I myself? I produce electronic dance music in my home studio (mainly techno these days) releasing it on independent labels all around the world. :)

Please tell us your Cakewalk usage story! :)

I mostly use it to make backing tracks to use at gigs. I play as a solo and a duo.  My first midi backing tracks I made in the 1980's will still open in Cakewalk. 

I also use the backing tracks for recording full songs I share with my friends and family. I used to make Cassettes, then CD's. Now I just put them on Sound Cloud or Sound Click. I just started making Videos for my original songs so from now on everything will be with Video. Seems that what people like. 

I have also used Sonar to record live gigs of a band I was in for a few years. I have made about 80+ albums of other bands and solo artists but most of that was done on none DAW equipment. I used an Atari synced to a Yamaha MD8 and O1v for a long time.  I think I've only done 6 client albums with Cakewalk. By the time it came into my life I has stopped taking on clients.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

I mostly use it to make backing tracks to use at gigs. I play as a solo and a duo.  My first midi backing tracks I made in the 1980's will still open in Cakewalk. 

I also use the backing tracks for recording full songs I share with my friends and family. I used to make Cassettes, then CD's. Now I just put them on Sound Cloud or Sound Click. I just started making Videos for my original songs so from now on everything will be with Video. Seems that what people like. 

I have also used Sonar to record live gigs of a band I was in for a few years. I have made about 80+ albums of other bands and solo artists but most of that was done on none DAW equipment. I used an Atari synced to a Yamaha MD8 and O1v for a long time.  I think I've only done 6 client albums with Cakewalk. By the time it came into my life I has stopped taking on clients.  

Wow, impressive amount of music you've been involved in! :D

What kind of stuff do you play at the solo/duo gigs?

• 1 year later...

I write approx 100 instrumental tracks per year for various Publishers that supply TV production houses with their music.

I started out primarily focusing on Electronica , EDM and Pop but over time I've branched out into Orchestral, Trailer, Hip Hop, Rock and a  few crossover genres too.

I'm a Brit but most of my music has been used in shows in the US  & Germany - If you live in one of those countries and watch enough TV there's a chance you might have heard one of my tracks without knowing it. My German placements have exploded this year as I've been working with a new publisher so I've had music on air almost daily during October.

With most Publishers you have to write, mix and master everything yourself as well as providing alternative mixes  so you get to know your DAW extremely well.    

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw
  • Like 1

I hate free time and sleep, and thankfully this program takes care of both things! :)  Also it keeps one more long-haired hoodlum off the streets, so that can't be a bad thing, right?

(But also, check out www.lordtim.info or some of the links in my signature below - this is what my boss (ie: me) makes me do non-stop. What a jerk.)

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 3

I record session singers to produce rehearsal tracks for my large (300-strong) choir. I create orchestral backing tracks for the choir. And for the last year, I've used Cakewalk to assemble three albums of my choir singing "virtually" - each singer has sent me individual recordings of them singing their part (recorded on phones and webcams, mostly), and I've brought them together, mixed and mastered them in Cakewalk. Each one has been a monster project (the biggest had 5,500 recordings to mix), but Cakewalk has made it a breeze!

• Like 2

I once had a bunch of songs I wanted to record, so I did that.
That must have been all of them since I haven't recorded anything useful in a couple of years.

The most novel way I've seen Cakewalk (SONAR) used was a few years ago one of our fellows had a track day for his Miata club. 
He recorded a Hero video of his laps and later used SONAR to overdub the sound of a Porshe race car over the video.
Who was that?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, paulo said:

Mostly to remind myself why my walls are not adorned with multiple platinum selling discs. 

Neither are mine... and never will be, but I don't define success in music by that. :) It sounds like a cliche, but the goal is the process!

On 11/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, TimAllenMusic said:

I record session singers to produce rehearsal tracks for my large (300-strong) choir. I create orchestral backing tracks for the choir. And for the last year, I've used Cakewalk to assemble three albums of my choir singing "virtually" - each singer has sent me individual recordings of them singing their part (recorded on phones and webcams, mostly), and I've brought them together, mixed and mastered them in Cakewalk. Each one has been a monster project (the biggest had 5,500 recordings to mix), but Cakewalk has made it a breeze!

Whoa, cool! :D

How did you bring 5 500 recordings together?! What kind of monster-setup do you have? :)