Free: IK Syntronik OXa

Arjan M

Interesting that this happened right after Arturia's release🙂.  While I figure it will be pretty much redundant as I have the Arturia product I am downloading now.

I think the Syntronic stuff sounds very good but I get frustrated editing sounds.  One of the big things for me is you are stuck with an oscillator wave form in a patch. One of my first actions in tweaking a sound is often to play with the oscillator wave forms.  On the plus side the ability to change filter types is a nice touch so it will be intresting to try the OB-Xa with Moog filter.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Downloading. Will be nice to compare it with the free discoDSP version. I still can't imagine what would make Arturia's new OB-Xa VI worth $149. It can't sound THAT much better.

Is it free or is it $49?  You can certainly download it and use it for nothing but there is the option to buy it. I must take the time to read the T&Cs.****

I went to look at it again and I can see the version I had install was quite old. It has been improved a lot.  I doubt if I would have paid the full whack for the Arturia but I got it for $49 as I have V collection 7.   The Arturia adds presets and additional modulation options both of which go beyond the capabilities of the original.  As the architecture of the synth is very straightforward the lack of presets on the DiscoDSP is not the end of the world.  also the Arturia has built in effects. Convenient but not essential if you have some decent VST effects.

I have had a quick 5 minuets with the IK, scrolling through the presets. It has an immediacy about it and the presets sound very good indeed. It lacks the total tweakability of the other two but that won't worry a lot of people. The other down side compared to the Arturia is the load times when changing presets.

Edit.

***  The DiscoDSP use is unrestricted but they ask you to buy to support further development.

Edited by Vernon Barnes
  • Like 1

Yeah, I seem to have this in Syntronik already. 

I did purchase Syntronik when it first came out, and if I recall there were a couple of free add-ons previously. 

Perhaps some people don't have it, otherwise I don't understand why they would be offering it as a freebie.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael A.D. said:

Yeah, I seem to have this in Syntronik already. 

I did purchase Syntronik when it first came out, and if I recall there were a couple of free add-ons previously. 

Perhaps some people don't have it, otherwise I don't understand why they would be offering it as a freebie.

The free version comes with some patches from all the synths I believe. But this is way more

9 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

This is the full OXa which is in Syntronik (not free).  It is a 49.99 value, not a cut-down version of the OXa synth.  You get the full OXa plus the other features of Syntronik like the arpeggiator, a comprehensive set of effects, and more.

Hi Peter, I have SampleTank CS and Syntronik Free (v1.2) installed, no paid version yet. I have installed OXa and it appears in SampleTank but not in Syntronik, should it not be available in both?

BTW, thanks to IK for this!

On 6/3/2020 at 7:08 PM, Vernon Barnes said:

As the architecture of the synth is very straightforward the lack of presets on the DiscoDSP is not the end of the world. 

Unless something has changed there are hundreds of presets bundled with DiscoDSP 's version of OB-Xd.

When I right-click on the plug-in I see 23 banks pf presets. IIRC, most were created before DiscoDSP took over development of the plug-in.

RB2FN4m.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scook said:

Unless something has changed there are hundreds of presets bundled with DiscoDSP 's version of OB-Xd.

When I right-click on the plug-in I see 23 banks pf presets. IIRC, most were created before DiscoDSP took over development of the plug-in.

RB2FN4m.png

That wasn't always the case. Those were recently bundled with  the software. You use to have to surf the net for the added presets. As you can see most originated on the KVR community preset page.

7 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

This is the full OXa which is in Syntronik (not free).  It is a 49.99 value, not a cut-down version of the OXa synth.  You get the full OXa plus the other features of Syntronik like the arpeggiator, a comprehensive set of effects, and more.

Hi Peter

I have the full version of Syntonik and noticed that there are about 5-12 patches at most under Arpeggio for each synth. Is this the normal count or have I missed out on something?

11 hours ago, scook said:

RB2FN4m.png

Well, I missed that, I was looking for a button of menu item.    Thanks for pointing it out.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:22 PM, John Maar said:

Downloading. Will be nice to compare it with the free discoDSP version. I still can't imagine what would make Arturia's new OB-Xa VI worth $149. It can't sound THAT much better.

OXa is fully sampled oscillators, with modeled filters and effects.

OB-Xd from DiscoDsp and OB-Xa from Arturia are virtual/modeled analog oscillators. Part of me would like to believe that Arturia's model might be more sophisticated that 2Dat's (the original dev for OB-Xd).

Edited by abacab

6 hours ago, Lemar Sain said:

That wasn't always the case. Those were recently bundled with  the software. You use to have to surf the net for the added presets. As you can see most originated on the KVR community preset page.

You have to go back pretty far in the history of the plug-in. AFAIK the presets have been bundled with the DiscoDSP version for some time.

21 minutes ago, abacab said:

OB-Xd from DiscoDsp and OB-Xa from Arturia are virtual/modeled analog oscillators. Part of me would like to believe that Arturia's model might be more sophisticated that 2Dat's (the original dev for OB-Xd).

I'd like to think so too. IIRC, one or both of the Vox and Farfisa organs from Arturia started out as freeware from Martinic.