Feature Request: Have CAL script midi functionality included as part of the main interface

Jp9922

I feel as if cakewalk is lacking compared to other DAW's with the ability to apply midi functions right from the interface instead of having to run outdated CAL scripts (which usually require editing), midi fx, or manually editing midi data. Some of the functions I would like to see are legato, split channel to tracks, selecting bass notes (selecting by frequency), chord function, strum, humanize etc. These types functions are available in studio one. It would be nice to have these easily available in the interface for cakewalk users.

studioone.jpg

Edited by Jp9922
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

I totally agree with that. In 2020 a modern daw should have such functions for midi and audio available in a menu or by a right-click.

I hope Cakewalk by Bandlab will have those possibilities in the near future. CAL-scripts are old and need to be integrated in a modern way.

Timo

Edited by Timo Finkbeiner
  • Great Idea 1

• 3 months later...

Last I heard CAL scripts are no longer really supported. They are still there for those that know about them, well because some folks still use them and they still work. But the feature is no longer under active development, and it's been that way for a long, long  time.

A modern scripting language would be nice, though.

But perhaps if it is too ambitious for the current development resources to implement a full new scripting tool, then I would agree it would be nice to have the most important  MIDI functions that CAL supports built directly into the DAW.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've seen plenty of questions here on the forum answered with "run this CAL script," which shouldn't really be happening any more.

There are many things, however, that can only really be accomplished with CAL scripts (or much more efficiently anyway)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Hmm. How do other DAW's perform these tasks? Cakewalk is the only one I've used that even has a scripting language.

What I would love the ability to do is assign CAL scripts to menu items and toolbar buttons.  At the moment, we have to use Studioware panels.

It's really a shame that, officially, CAL scripts (and Studioware panels) were depreciated...  Modernising CAL scripts and being able edit Studioware panels within CbB would take CbB to a whole different level.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, would be able to touch CbB for versatility if they did.

HI:)

It would be nice to start CAL Scripts in SDK and not have to bind Shortcuts to.

For example: In the video I do Selection moving by a Rotor and for every Snap Setting for every step I have to run a CAL Script and as I go down from bar, half, quarter, eighth, 16th, 32nd, 64th, 128th and Snap Off its getting slower and slower. Should be as fast as you can move the Selection with the mouse.

You can see the hourglass as it starts the CALs.....must not be like that:)

In the second video I move the Selection with the mouse with Snap Off. The Rotor should work with that speed!

Bassman.

7 hours ago, Promidi said:

What I would love the ability to do is assign CAL scripts to menu items and toolbar buttons.  At the moment, we have to use Studioware panels.

It's really a shame that, officially, CAL scripts (and Studioware panels) were depreciated...  Modernising CAL scripts and being able edit Studioware panels within CbB would take CbB to a whole different level.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, would be able to touch CbB for versatility if they did.

You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to a CAL script.

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to a CAL script.

Yes, I use those every day in my MIDI sequencing workflow - many CALS I have written myself.   In fact, I would be lost without them.

I also have screensets that include Studioware panels (that are riddled with CAL scripts) strategically positioned in the work area for ease of access.

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Hmm. How do other DAW's perform these tasks? Cakewalk is the only one I've used that even has a scripting language.

I have heard that Reaper does have it. Article here: https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/reascript.php

The DAW Feature Chart  shows 8 DAWs, including Reaper, that have scripting capability, and the author gives Reaper the highest score in this category, with Bitwig and Mixbus tied for 2nd place:  https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/DAW-Chart.html

Cakewalk/Sonar not mentioned. Maybe because the feature is deprecated?

The author defines scripting as:

Scripting

The capability for third-parties to create extensions to the software without needing to build the software on specific platforms.

Considerations include: GUI capabilities, integration with the product, documentation, support and over-all capability.

31 minutes ago, abacab said:

I have heard that Reaper does have it. Article here: https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/reascript.php

The DAW Feature Chart  shows 8 DAWs, including Reaper, that have scripting capability, and the author gives Reaper the highest score in this category, with Bitwig and Mixbus tied for 2nd place:  https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/DAW-Chart.html

Cakewalk/Sonar not mentioned. Maybe because the feature is deprecated?

Of course, and it figures that Reaper has it, it's such a "roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty" powerhouse. Their unfortunately named scripting language even lets you create your own effects.

"Cakewalk/Sonar not mentioned" is par for the course these days, innit? I don't mind so much, it's kind of a secret weapon thing.

We CbB users tend not to pester publications about covering it, which may have contributed to the unfortunate demise of Craig's column.

I've been meaning to drop Admiral Bumblebee a note suggesting that he update his review of CbB. He dinged it for fragility and crashiness and it's become so much more robust since then.