Audio engine pausing, spikes, noise and drop outs.

I've been having this problem for a while , and  I think I finally solved it.  Some of my songs would drop  out make noise, and my thread monitors would go through the roof after a few minutes of mixing down to mix down computer. I tried changing the setings to my Motu AO24 , but the results were the same.  Finally while  Cakewalk was running  I did something I never tried before.  My audio files are on my SSD "F" drive.  I called up the Task manager (alt/ctrl/delete), and  clicked on the performance  tab.  There was no or little activity on my  "C" drive.  Right before the problem started, the activity of  my "C" drive  maxed out, the audio  noise started.   I then  stopped everything  and after a few minutes,  the "C" drive  maxed out itself again, reading and writing.  When  Cakewalk was playing  with all the plugins,  I was only using  about 7%  of my 128GB  RAM,  and  my audio drive  was using  6 to 15%  of it's resources,  I think I narrowed  it down  to having the automatic  defrag on.  I turned it off  and the "C"  drive  shows no activity, except  from the  ethernet, which I may turn off  while using  Cakewalk. So  if I have problems  in the future  I'll watch , for programs running  in the background with the Task  Monitor from now. 

Edited by richard greenidge
spelling
  • Like 1

Rob since then  I had no problems , and the C drive shows , little or no   activity.  A few weeks ago, I bought a  onboard  M2-SSD  4x4  drive for my F drive, and audio files.   The only problem I have had in the last weeks   is with my UJAM  Silk guitar, almost by itself with drum track, the audio   breaks up at a buffer size  of less than 500ms, which is too high  for latency recording. Their Mellow and other guitar works fine, and they have had updates, but not the Silk, still at version 1.0  since  I bought it a few years ago,   I contacted  UJAM and they got right back to me, since I told them it was midi direct, not during playback, because I can't record  and be in time with 500ms buffers.  I last heard from them 2 days . Other than that Cakewalk is working fine now,