Latency issues with secondary guitar tracks

jeff831

I'm fairly new to digital recording and very new to Cakewalk.

The Problem
I'm having great difficulty with latency when recording more than one guitar track. I'm able to play along and record with the original track playback, but when I listen to what's been recorded, the 2nd track is off by a couple of beats. However, there does not seem to be any latency with recording the 1st track.

CPU Specs

• CyberPower PC with Windows 7, 64-bit
  • AMD quad-core processor, 3.6 GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • Audio Interface: Behringer U-Phoria UMC22

Things I've tried so far

• optimizing my CPU settings in control panel
  • shutting down unnecessary processes
  • playing with the buffering preferences in the ASIO panel. I've reduced the buffering to 64 and the settings don't seem to take effect.

See the attached screenshots for preferences and settings

Screenshot 2020-06-02 00.57.10.png

Screenshot 2020-06-02 00.57.26.png

Hi Jeff I had simular problems with my behringer 240 and I swopped out the ASIO setting  to  (I think it was  called) WASSAP and it cured the problem , now I must add I know nothing about computers , I just gave it a try since then no problems although sometimes if my computer is downloading it could cause  the pc to work slower so i turn off the internet .

I guess this device does not have a factory supplied ASIO driver. There is a download option on their site for an ASIO driver but it might be a copy of ASIO5All. Unfortunately some manufacturers substitute this software for a proper ASIO driver. Of course, ASIO4All is not a driver at all, it is a wrapper for WDM drivers presenting them to software such as DAWs as ASIO drivers.

Trying the other driver modes is an option.

To avoid latency completely use the direct monitor feature in the interface for the track being recorded. This allows one to hear the input directly from the interface mixed with the rest of the tracks from the DAW.

If one track monitored through the DAW has no noticeable latency subsequent tracks should be the same. Often times, additional plug-ins are added to the project which are the source of additional latency (aka Plug-in Delay Compensation).

To see if plug-ins are the issue, try bypassing all plug-ins using the FX button in the Mix Module, "E" in the image below.

ControlBar.07.02.png

If the delay goes away, there are one or more plug-ins in series at fault. Either temporarily bypass them, freeze the track or find low latency alternatives for use while tracking.

While reading about the FX button in the Mix Module, take some time to review the info about the PDC button too.