FYI: W10 (May 2020) Audio Driver Issues & Changes

Jim Fogle

Windows 10 May, 2020 release changes how Windows handles driver registry keys.  On the Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth forum: 

Well, this is not an OS bug to fix (by MS) but a new Windows OS "feature" we're forced to manage :(.

They changed the way Drivers32 registry key is managed by the Plug&Play subsystem.
So they now require (and suppose) VirtualMIDISynth to work as any other Windows driver (WHDL and stuff...).

Packaging it as a driver requires a lot of additional and costly steps: obtain a code-signing certificate, register myself as a driver developer, submit driver binaries to WHDL quality tests, sign binaries and, finally, distribute them.

https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/880

Several known audio driver issues:  https://mspoweruser.com/wait-before-you-install-windows-10-2004-make-sure-these-known-issues-do-not-apply-to-you/

You might want to postpone updating until the dust settles.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, paulo said:

But anybody who hasn't upgraded to win10 is an idiot. It's free, so there's really no reason not to do it......

Oh wait....

I recently updated   my main music computer  from windows 7 to 10 - there were a few issues with authorizations mainly - ( i had to change Hard Disc at same time) and just a couple of drivers, but the difference in performance (which really surprised me) has certainly made up for the hassle

Nigel

8 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

I recently updated   my main music computer  from windows 7 to 10 - there were a few issues with authorizations mainly - ( i had to change Hard Disc at same time) and just a couple of drivers, but the difference in performance (which really surprised me) has certainly made up for the hassle

Nigel

I'm sure you're right re performance. I've never used w10 for audio. All I know about it is that there are 3 pc's in my house - one win 7, one win 8 and one win 10. Only one of them is always a PITA after it updates itself.