Tuplets other than Triplets?

Phen123

Question

7 answers to this question

I would use the Piano Roll View for this.

With Snap on, and snap value set to an easy value (like 1/4), create the seven notes in the row, each with the same duration.

Then select all seven notes.  Then, while holding down CTRL, change the duration of the entire selection to match where you want the entire septuplet to end. 

The individual durations of each note will change also, yet all will have the same duration.

Note: You did not say what version of Cakewalk so I have assumed the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab.

• Like 1

With Snap on, and snap value set to an easy value (like 1/4), create the seven notes in the row, each with the same duration. [DONE]

Then select all seven notes. [DONE]

Then, while holding down CTRL, change the duration of the entire selection to match where you want the entire septuplet to end. 

The individual durations of each note will change also, yet all will have the same duration.

As you might remember, I generally don't use the PRV. So, I am trying this to teach myself how to use it.  (TY for the steps!)  I get to the point where I use the select tool to highlight the seven notes I created; however, I do not know how to change the duration of the entire selection. I have tried several times, but I am am not getting it. Can you spell out the individual steps for "change the duration of the entire selection?"

Here's what I have done as a test:

(1) . . . create seven notes . . .  image.png.e9c247da9edcd3869496b5f6c47f9b46.png

(2) . . . select all seven notes.    image.png.93e7067e7fc4200e02fbe103f80cff18.png

It seems at that point I have to switch to the Move tool, because none of the other tools seem to do anything useful.

(3) . . . while holding CTRL, I put the mouse cursor on the last note and dragged it so that the notes all shift to fit a smaller space:

image.png.fdcded0136e24571fcdf9b06622f231a.png    image.png.751e0cb7e6d54300c829b716f4482c1a.png   image.png.cd7276cab731220b7538f1d059d100cc.png

image.png.385f3f93c0318df2316331019e8b57b1.png

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by User 905133

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

As you might remember, I generally don't use the PRV. So, I am trying this to teach myself how to use it.  (TY for the steps!)  I get to the point where I use the select tool to highlight the seven notes I created; however, I do not know how to change the duration of the entire selection. I have tried several times, but I am am not getting it. Can you spell out the individual steps for "change the duration of the entire selection?"

Here's what I have done as a test:

(1) . . . create seven notes . . .  image.png.e9c247da9edcd3869496b5f6c47f9b46.png

(2) . . . select all seven notes.    image.png.93e7067e7fc4200e02fbe103f80cff18.png

It seems at that point I have to switch to the Move tool, because none of the other tools seem to do anything useful.

(3) . . . while holding CTRL, I put the mouse cursor on the last note and dragged it so that the notes all shift to fit a smaller space:

image.png.fdcded0136e24571fcdf9b06622f231a.png    image.png.751e0cb7e6d54300c829b716f4482c1a.png   image.png.cd7276cab731220b7538f1d059d100cc.png

image.png.385f3f93c0318df2316331019e8b57b1.png

Thanks for any suggestions.

Make the PRV your new best mate. It is so much more flexible than the staff for note entry.  With snap off, the PRV makes for more natural (read, human) sounding music as it's very rare for notes to start and finish bang on the measure divisions.

For the septuplets, use the smart tool, rather than the select tool, for the entire process.

Right drag a marque to draw a marque around the seven notes.

When CTRL dragging the entire selection's duration - make sure snap is switched off.

As a side note (pun unintended), while the notes are still selected, hold SHIFT to adjust the durations of all the notes and make them the same duration as you adjust.

You can do this in staff view, just use Step Record. It lets you specify the kind of tuplet you want. If you know the Event List value, you can also just set that. for example, if my memory serves me, eighth-not triplets come out as 40 (regular eighth-notes are 60). 

4 hours ago, Promidi said:

Make the PRV your new best mate. It is so much more flexible than the staff for note entry.  With snap off, the PRV makes for more natural (read, human) sounding music as it's very rare for notes to start and finish bang on the measure divisions.

For the septuplets, use the smart tool, rather than the select tool, for the entire process.

Right drag a marque to draw a marque around the seven notes.

When CTRL dragging the entire selection's duration - make sure snap is switched off.

As a side note (pun unintended), while the notes are still selected, hold SHIFT to adjust the durations of all the notes and make them the same duration as you adjust.

Thanks for the clarification. I tried it with the new steps added, but the "smart tool" has a mind of its own.  Maybe I will try septuplets in the staff view.  I accept that many people find the PRV better, easier, more flexible, etc. I have no problem with that. Its just counter-intuitive for me and doesn't me save any time. I am sure I will try again over the years.  Maybe there is a step that PRV users do automatically that I don't do but might stumble on one of these years. Again, thank for adding the additional steps.

3 hours ago, mdiemer said:

You can do this in staff view, just use Step Record. It lets you specify the kind of tuplet you want. If you know the Event List value, you can also just set that. for example, if my memory serves me, eighth-not triplets come out as 40 (regular eighth-notes are 60). 

My first inclination was to just do the math and enter the values in the Event List as you suggest.  I will have to see how that goes. 

37 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I tried it with the new steps added, but the "smart tool" has a mind of its own.  Maybe I will try septuplets in the staff view.  I accept that many people find the PRV better, easier, more flexible, etc. I have no problem with that. Its just counter-intuitive for me and doesn't me save any time. I am sure I will try again over the years.  Maybe there is a step that PRV users do automatically that I don't do but might stumble on one of these years. Again, thank for adding the additional steps.

I tried it in the PRV and it took me about 3 seconds.  

The best thing about doing it in the PRV with the mouse is that it's a more visual process rather than fiddling with values and whotnot

• Like 1