Spitfire Audio Scoring Competition entry

SteveC

Hi everyone,

It's been a few years since I've finished anything new, actually pre-CbB era.   How time flies.   Anyhow, I decided to throw my hat into Spitfire Audio's Westworld scoring competition: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/westworld/

The video clip includes actor dialog, along with weapon and vehicle sounds.   Otherwise I've added everything else - synths, percussion, orchestral, and the little diddy at the end. 

Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

Really nice job, here.  The best of luck to you!

I actually came here to ask a question about this very subject.  I know I'm too late to make any entries, but I had a question regarding importing the video files to Cakewalk for Bandlab.  When I imported the video, the audio was sped up, and voices sounded like chipmunks. I stretched the audio and it then synced up, but the sounds were still very much chipmunks.  Any idea what might be wrong?  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked the beginning. If I were to be critical, I'd say it sags a bit in the middle, needed a change of gear. My brother in law works in TV and he said the same thing about my entry...😆

Did you get your entry in on time? 

Just for fun, here is my attempt:

9 hours ago, SteveC said:

Thanks @Philip G Hunt!  This was my first "real" attempt at scoring so I know there's a lot to learn.  Gotta start somewhere! 

I liked your piece - it was very moody, and a bit dark like the video.  🙂

No probs man. It's a great score.  It was my first attempt at scoring too. I've never worked to video before.

What a fantastic competitive though, isn't it? Gotta give the guys at Spitfire Audio credit. 

Good luck! 👍

Way good!

Those Teslas have really come a long way.

When she says the guy is "switching genres" . . . you could have switched the background music to a skiffle polka.  :)

Anyway, to be serious, I liked the dark brooding tone and the percussion builds the tension very well. I don't think there is any really criticizing your compositional choices because there is no right answer . . . I do like your choices!

You must be totally sick of watching this clip, I bet?  :)

cheers,

-Tom

David's entry had humor, it referenced the genre of science fiction (robots), it had a melody that one could recall, it had genuine surprise at key moments (the others only superficially created surprise).  Also, David's had multiple levels of ideas going, whereas the others only had one main idea throughout.  I'm only comparing to the runner's up.  I'm sure out of 11k there were probably over 1k that were great, but why blame spitfire? :D:DCompetitions only give an approximation of a meritocracy.  Really it comes down to who you know don't it?

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 1

Huh...    nah, I wasn't too crazy about the winning entry.    The orchestral aspects were very nice, but the 16bit Nintendo stuff..   for me, it just didn't vibe with the futuristic feel of the video.   Even the humor bits I didn't quite "get" while watching against the action in the video.     But what I do I know, I've never done this before!   

Some of the runner up snippets sounded really good though -  very realistic and traditional sounding orchestra pieces. 

• Like 1