Z390 or Z490? Anyone have a 10th Gen Intel Proc yet?

hockeyjx

Has anyone had hands on the Z490 and the 10th gen i7s?  The clock speed is a little lower on the new ones Micro Center has in stock (a 2.9GHz vs i9-9900k @ 3.6). I am on the fence, even with the newer genration.

I was hoping @Jim Roseberry or other folks may shed some light on it for me.

Yep.

Be aware that some Z490 motherboards are active cooled (meaning small high-RPM fan).  

ie: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (quality board) looks passive-cooled... but there's a fan under the heatsink.

You can hear that tiny fan ramping up with CPU usage.  It's high-pitched and annoying.

TDP is 125w (about the edge of large/quality air-cooling).

Performance of the 10900k is exactly what you'd expect.

Take the 9900k, add two more cores (four more processing threads) and increase the clock-speed to 5.3GHz.

Fantastic performer.

It'll be extremely popular with many DAW users... (super high clock-speed and 20 processing threads).

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

You can hear that tiny fan ramping up with CPU usage.  It's high-pitched and annoying.

TDP is 125w (about the edge of large/quality air-cooling).

Sorry of off-topic... I have high-pitch noise from my Z390. Not from fan (I have not found any), but still annoying (from googling that is common). And I wish my TDP 95W CPU consumed that 95W by default. My (middle size) air cooler was unable to keep CPU any cool when I was running my fist PRIME95 test... I was disappointed (by the cooler), till I have found that CPU power consumption is over 200W (with all BIOS "defaults").
I mean it seems like "TDP" has no meaning these days (my 9900K consumes from 10W to 250W at its own will, till limited explicitly).

16 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Be aware that some Z490 motherboards are active cooled (meaning small high-RPM fan).  

ie: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (quality board) looks passive-cooled... but there's a fan under the heatsink.

Can you control RPM of that fan on the BIOS?

and just wondering... Which is better choice 9th i9-9900K or 10th i7-10700K?

Edited by HIBI

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

That's what I am wondering ....whether to go to a gen 10 i7-10700K, or stick with Gen 9. The prices are really similar, and obviously, the newer gen is more forward-thinking.

The fan can be controlled in the BIOS from what I read on the Asus site.

Edited by hockeyjx

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

Depends on the motherboard.

On the mentioned Gigabyte board, there's zero control over the chipset fan.

If the motherboard allows, you can set a "silent" profile.

But... when you put the machine under substantial load, that tiny fan is going to ramp-up.

It'll be quiet when idle... but loud when working.

As a test, I loaded a Premier Pro project with a video noise-reduction plugin.

CPU use was ~70%.

Tiny fan was busy/loud/annoying   😉

I'd opt for the 9900k vs the 10700k.

Performance wise, it's a toss-up.

9900k has TDP of 95w

10700k has TDP of 125w

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Thanks 1

When working with large low-RPM fans, it's much easier to mitigate noise.

With small high-RPM fans, it's nigh on impossible to eliminate the noise (while under any significant load).

Threadripper motherboards are a great example.  Sound like you're flying a small model airplane.  😁

• Haha 1

I put the machine together. Looking good so far and the benchmarks are solid. Asus dropped a BIOS update today as well, so all good ...not noisy at all (and I haven't put the lid on the Silent Case yet) @Jim Roseberry. Never have problems with Asus setups! Starting to migrate programs at the moment.

Asus Prime Z490-A
Intel Core i7-10700 Comet Lake 2.9GHz Eight-Core
 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600

Yeah, not all boards are active cooled.  😉

In my example, I needed two Thunderbolt-3 ports.

Asus changed the Thunderbolt header on their Z470 motherboards that have them (including the Prime Z490-A).

IOW, The existing Thunderbolt EX3 won't work.  You need the Thunderbolt EX3-TR (which isn't yet available).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, razor7music said:

I used to use this app Speed Fan for fan speed noise. It's been many years, so do your homework.

Thoughts?

I will put it through the proper paces this weekend, but so far, it is really quiet. The Asus Fan Xpert seems pretty decent on first test, and I also have a big cooler & fan on it.

1 hour ago, hockeyjx said:

I will put it through the proper paces this weekend, but so far, it is really quiet. The Asus Fan Xpert seems pretty decent on first test, and I also have a big cooler & fan on it.

Be really careful with the app. If you don't configure it correctly, it could crash you computer.