(SOLVED) Need some help with Win 10

Mesh

I've been trying to update to the latest version of Windows (1909) for last month and it usually goes to  99% on the update,  and then says it 'cannot complete the update, undoing changes'.  This morning I updated/rebooted and for some reason, it actually successfully updated (Feature Updates).....at least that's what it show in  the Update History. Checking the System/About: still shows Version 1903   (installed on 8/29/2019)  ??

Anyway, my problem is   my HDD Projects drive (F:) shows it needs to be formatted although it's an old drive that's been in the system for years and hasn't been disconnected or done anything to it.    

I checked in Device Manager/Properties/Events and it shows this:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_TOSHIBA&Prod_DT01ACA300\4&1a58a66f&0&000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.  

Checked windows to update the driver and says I have the latest....also wanted to try 'Roll Back Driver' option, but that's greyed out can't roll back. I really need to get access to this drive as CbB takes awhile to load up (although I've temporarily redirected it to another drive for projects), and would like to know how to fix this?

All of this started  after I tried to update Win10   🤦‍♂️

Thanks all!

Mesh

Edited by Mesh
Update!

Get Glary Utilities HERE (the free version is all you need).  When you're installing, I recommend turning off all check-boxes.  Once installed, feel free to go to the 1-Click Maintenance tab, select all the boxes you want (I usually select all of them except Tracks Eraser), and run an initial system check.

Once that's done, go to the Advanced Tools tab, select Optimize & Improve and then Check Disk (this is just like your usual chkdsk except I've found it works better).  I prefer to schedule the disk checks to occur during the next reboot to ensure nothing is accessing the drive.  You'll want to check the two boxes at the bottom ("Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors").

Once the disk check has finished, try the Windows 10 update again.  If it fails agin, it should give you an error code.  If it does, post what it is.  I've got ways to fix at least a couple of dozen of these.

Good luck! 🧙‍♂️

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, craigb said:

Get Glary Utilities HERE (the free version is all you need).  When you're installing, I recommend turning off all check-boxes.  Once installed, feel free to go to the 1-Click Maintenance tab, select all the boxes you want (I usually select all of them except Tracks Eraser), and run an initial system check.

Once that's done, go to the Advanced Tools tab, select Optimize & Improve and then Check Disk (this is just like your usual chkdsk except I've found it works better).  I prefer to schedule the disk checks to occur during the next reboot to ensure nothing is accessing the drive.  You'll want to check the two boxes at the bottom ("Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors").

Once the disk check has finished, try the Windows 10 update again.  If it fails agin, it should give you an error code.  If it does, post what it is.  I've got ways to fix at least a couple of dozen of these.

Good luck! 🧙‍♂️

Craigb , installed Glary   and ran. Ran update with no joy, no error code given.   Please help!

A quick read on the web seems to indicate this is caused by the device driver not moving over correctly during the "upgrade". (Probably why the install was failing as well) .   Since this is a hard drive, that means you may need to reinstall the chipset drivers. If it is external the USB drivers would be the suspect. 

The error sounded a lot more sinister - a "partial or ambiguous match" sounds like a dedupe process hash collision - but in this case, it means that Windohs couldn't work out what driver is needed for some piece of gear so didn't install that one...

Edited by StudioNSFW

3 hours ago, StudioNSFW said:

A quick read on the web seems to indicate this is caused by the device driver not moving over correctly during the "upgrade". (Probably why the install was failing as well) .   Since this is a hard drive, that means you may need to reinstall the chipset drivers. If it is external the USB drivers would be the suspect. 

The error sounded a lot more sinister - a "partial or ambiguous match" sounds like a dedupe process hash collision - but in this case, it means that Windohs couldn't work out what driver is needed for some piece of gear so didn't install that one...

With this, make sure you bring up your Device Manager page (find this in Control Panel or just click on the Start button and type "Device Manager") and look for yellow exclamation points.  Those will be the drivers you need to update.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, craigb said:

Good luck! 🧙‍♂️

Thanks Craig! 

I ran Glary (Check Disk) and it only checked 3 of the  4 drives (didn't  check the F: drive (Toshiba)).  

image.png.f1c589b04854df52d92770dd11c799fa.png 

image.png.0a1ece4af3d3b8fb906bdde529b8268c.png

With no proper driver the Toshiba drive would be invisible to the OS so the utility would not be able to work against it.

That "Update" tab in the last screenshot looks promising...I don't know if I would bother to back up a driver that doesn't work but hey, it's not a lot of space. 

Edited by StudioNSFW

20 hours ago, StudioNSFW said:

With no proper driver the Toshiba drive would be invisible to the OS so the utility would not be able to work against it.

That "Update" tab in the last screenshot looks promising...I don't know if I would bother to back up a driver that doesn't work but hey, it's not a lot of space. 

That's what I don't get....it says it has the "Latest" driver installed, but yet requiring the drive to be formatted??

Hi mesh - now I am no where near as tech savvy as some of the guys on here, but if this were me I would take the drive out, use a data /usb converter and try it on another computer to see if the drive was still ok - if it was I would copy it very quickly 😁😙😏😏quickquilyquickquicklyquiquicklyquickquicklyq

5 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi mesh - now I am no where near as tech savvy as some of the guys on here, but if this were me I would take the drive out, use a data /usb converter and try it on another computer to see if the drive was still ok - if it was I would copy it very quickly 😁😙😏😏quickquilyquickquicklyquiquicklyquickquicklyq

Thanks Nigel,  I was thinking of doing something similar....at least taking the drive out and reconnecting it. Been so busy with work, I've neglected my DAW....😟

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to resolve this issue with a sincere appreciation from Matthew Sorrels help. He diagnosed it very quickly and gave some very detailed solutions (went above and beyond my expectations)....thanks so much Matt!!

Basically, Windows was seeing the drive but wasn't seeing the files in it. I uninstalled the HDD from Device Mgr. as well as the Marvell Controller, ran chkdsk in CMD, and it found the files. 

So happy to have my projects drive back!! (Yes, I'm backing up everything!!)

Back to making music again.....Woot Woot!!

• Like 1