Bandlab Assistant update issue

1 hour ago, jonathan boose said:

I do all my downloads with Microsoft Edge.

I'm sure it can be defaulted to send files to a specific location but that isn't the real issue. I'm pretty sure Bandlab Assistant used to default to desktop without my configuring the PC to default to desktop.

Desktop is part of C drive so I don't want to store large files there if I don't need them there. I like to choose for each download.

Plugins have to be in the proper scan path so I may as well assign them there from the start.

Some files have to be assigned to folders that make no sense to me.  The people say that (x86) files are for 32 bit versions of plugins but that's where Waves shell stuff goes -- not my idea, that's where Waves' guy put it! Same for  Slate Trigger 2.

Plugins are kept in the usual scan paths in C drive. Bandlab Assistant is 54 MB so it can stay on desktop. Projects go on external drives.

I guess another good reason I'm glad to be using win8.1 ...

In firefox's settings I simply select "ask each time" and all is well allowing me to select download folder each download and defaulting to which ever was last used.

41 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

I went from XP to 7 to 10.

Not familiar with 8, but whatever works for you.

Hi Jonathan...

I got stuck at this version due to hardware/OS limitations and at first I was miffed, but it turns out that while 8 was a PITA.... 8.1 works great and without the myriad of forced downloads and such that 10 has....

I think I have a slightly different version of the rabbit hole. I use Edge to download the BandLab Assistant exe to a folder on my D drive. That's OK. But when I run the bandlab-assistant-windows-latest.exe (as administrator), I get "Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of this app." 

That seems harmless, since I can click "Allow access." I can get past that and sign in to BandLab. But then it tells me that Cakewalk is up to date.  (The Cakewalk About box says 2020.04.)

Maybe the problem is that in Apps & Features, I can't uninstall BandLab Assistant 5.0.6.  When I try to, it uninstalls 5.2.0.  If I try again to uninstall 5.0.6, I get

"Windows cannot find "C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Local\Programs\bandlab-assistant\Uninstall Bandlab Assistant.exe."  And when I look for that file in File Explorer, it's not there.

Any suggestions?

7 minutes ago, Mitch_I said:

Maybe the problem is that in Apps & Features, I can't uninstall BandLab Assistant 5.0.6.  When I try to, it uninstalls 5.2.0.  If I try again to uninstall 5.0.6, I get

"Windows cannot find "C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Local\Programs\bandlab-assistant\Uninstall Bandlab Assistant.exe."  And when I look for that file in File Explorer, it's not there.

Any suggestions?

I don't know the answer, but I do remember a thread that >>might<< be related.

18 hours ago, Mitch_I said:

I think I have a slightly different version of the rabbit hole. I use Edge to download the BandLab Assistant exe to a folder on my D drive. That's OK. But when I run the bandlab-assistant-windows-latest.exe (as administrator), I get "Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of this app." 

Have you included Bandlab Assistant to your allowed apps?

control panel > system and security > windows defender firewall  > allow an app

882154166_allowedapps2.jpg.1142466f4ed727ee413ec081e5eef365.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out. The UI looks different on my system, but I see how to do it.

Anyway, I tried the update again today, and it worked. BandLab Assistant correctly indicated that my Cakewalk wasn't updated and proceeded to update it. The cause must have been the back-end problem mentioned in another topic.

Apps & Features still shows BandLab Assistant 5.0.6 and 5.2.0. Maybe it doesn't matter.