Bandlab Assistant update issue

When I opened Bandlab Assistant, it prompts me to update. I click on 'update' and I get 'Automatic Update Failed'.

It prompts me to download.  I click 'download' and the red Bandlab beaker appears with "downloading, please wait".

The progress bar freezes (I went off to do something else for an hour and it hadn't budged).

And a message "Bandlab Assistant is running, click OK to close it" appears. Closing it doesn't seem to make a difference -- the download fails either way.

I think there's a workaround but I forgot what it is. 

2020-05-31_115626.jpg

2020-05-31_120151.jpg

When selecting the "Download" option for a manual install I assume you saved the  "bandlab-assistant-windows-latest.exe". Then right-click the exec and "Run as Administrator".  The .exe should be the same as the one posted on the website. This is what I do , click ok to close Bandlab Assistant, and the install succeeds...

On 5/31/2020 at 4:54 PM, Jeremy Oakes said:

The easiest thing to do when ever there is an update is to download the latest version from the website. Why bother with the hassle ?
jerry

Thanks Jeremy.  

Why doesn't Bandlab remove the link from the desktop Assistant if it doesn't work? 

It's like going down a street that's a dead end because there's no sign saying "dead end".

Edited by jonathan boose

Thanks Tez and Davet. 

I sometimes forget to run the Assistant as administrator. 

Then it tells you it's up to date. If you don't, it tells you that you aren't when you are and sends you down a rabbit hole into madness 😆

Edited by jonathan boose
left out the comma after 'don't'

1 minute ago, User 905133 said:

Just a guess: Maybe because it works for a number of people? 

Imagine applying that standard to most other things. 

"Why are you bringing this phone back?"

"It doesn't work."

Sales clerk, scratching his head, "It works for a number of people".

Why would it work for some and not others? I'm curious.

• Sad 1

I did complain to Bandlab months ago the first time I ran into the Assistant update issue. I asked why they didn't simply post a link to an update file like other vendors do. They were concerned that an update file could get posted at some unsavory website where it might be tampered with. I suppose that could happen, but all the years I've been downloading "updates" I've never seen a file manipulated this way.  Maybe other people get their updates where ever they can, but I get mine from the vendor I'm working with. Bandlab, Toontracks, RME, Spectrasonic, etc.

BTW, I had to update the latest Assistant using my method. It's a PITA but certainly not a deal breaker for software like Bandlab.

When I go to download it from the site, the default is to put it so deep in the drive that I can't find it.

I put it on desktop.  I think it used to default to desktop?

Anyway, it isn't a problem to run it as admin. I just like to have dead ends and rabbit holes minimized.

Edited by jonathan boose

6 hours ago, davet said:

Configure  your browser so downloads are delivered you your desktop. You can adjust settings in Chrome to do this. Pretty sure Edge will too.

It isn't hard to just click "browse" and choose "desktop". If you remember to do it 😆

5 hours ago, Kurre said:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a download go directly to a folder called "download" and then in the startmeny you have the link to your download folder. 🙏

Yeah, I think Window 7 did that by default.  And previous iterations of Windows IIRC.

That isn't the case with Win 10.

9 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

Yeah, I think Window 7 did that by default.  And previous iterations of Windows IIRC.

That isn't the case with Win 10.

With which browser? The location of a browser downloaded file is set in the browser's settings.

On w10 with Firefox 77.0, with the general setting for Downloads set to "Always ask you where to save files",  on a download you are presented with an option to save, checking that opens the windows save popup with a folder location in the location bar. What I do is before downloading is open the folder where I want to save the download, click the icon on the location bar which switches the format to a highlighted file format, copy the location, ctrl + c. On the download in the windows save popup click the icon on the location bar which switches the format to a highlighted file format and paste, ctrl + v, pasting the prior chosen location in the location bar, click the "Go to" arrow  and save, voilà!

Edited by Tez

15 hours ago, Tez said:

On w10 with Firefox 77.0, with the general setting for Downloads set to "Always ask you where to save files",  on a download you are presented with an option to save, checking that opens the windows save popup with a folder location in the location bar. What I do is before downloading is open the folder where I want to save the download, click the icon on the location bar which switches the format to a highlighted file format, copy the location, ctrl + c. On the download in the windows save popup click the icon on the location bar which switches the format to a highlighted file format and paste, ctrl + v, pasting the prior chosen location in the location bar, click the "Go to" arrow  and save, voilà!

I stopped using Firefox when they partnered with the insidious RealPlayer which had a tendency to hijack my PC and which was hard to get rid of. 

That was years ago and Firefox may be much better now but there are other browsers.

15 hours ago, Keni said:

With which browser? The location of a browser downloaded file is set in the browser's settings.

I do all my downloads with Microsoft Edge.

I'm sure it can be defaulted to send files to a specific location but that isn't the real issue. I'm pretty sure Bandlab Assistant used to default to desktop without my configuring the PC to default to desktop.

Desktop is part of C drive so I don't want to store large files there if I don't need them there. I like to choose for each download.

Plugins have to be in the proper scan path so I may as well assign them there from the start.

Some files have to be assigned to folders that make no sense to me.  The people say that (x86) files are for 32 bit versions of plugins but that's where Waves shell stuff goes -- not my idea, that's where Waves' guy put it! Same for  Slate Trigger 2.

Plugins are kept in the usual scan paths in C drive. Bandlab Assistant is 54 MB so it can stay on desktop. Projects go on external drives.