MIDI learn with NI Guitar Rig

CDK

I'm trying to assign/learn the Talk knob on the Formant Filter to a knob on my MIDI controller but it's as if Guitar Rig isn't recognizing the knob at all.

Cakewalk recognizes my MIDI controller fine, I can play stuff in but just Guitar Rig doesn't seem to like it. Any ideas?

I have Guitar Rig inserted as an audio effect on Kontakt's audio output - maybe that's the problem? Not sure how else to do it.

Make sure "Enable MIDI Input" is checked in the VST2 drop down above the Guitar rig UI

WBoEAIf.png

along with a MIDI track with your controller as the input, Guitar Rig as the Output and input echo enabled.

Each plug-in needs it's own MIDI track.

Kontakt needs a MIDI or instrument track to play the synth

Guitar Rig needs a separate MIDI track to control the plug-in.

The MIDI source may be shared by the two tracks.

The MIDI Event Filter MFX may be used in MIDI FX Racks to restrict the data passed to the plug-ins. It may not be necessary; depends on how the plug-ins react to unneeded data.

Does that attached track setup look correct to you?

Track 1 is my Kontakt MIDI track.

Track 2 is my Kontakt audio output.

Track 3 is an audio track with Kontakt's output as the input - with Guitar Rig as an insert FX.

Track 4 is a MIDI track with Guitar Rig as it's output.

I'd love to be able to record Guitar Rig's output as MIDI and adjust the Talk control realtime but I'm not sure that's possible?

Screenshot 2020-05-31 23.49.25.png

Routing looks OK.

13 minutes ago, CDK said:

I'd love to be able to record Guitar Rig's output as MIDI and adjust the Talk control realtime but I'm not sure that's possible?

Guitar Rig is not capable of sending MIDI data out of the plug-in.

The MIDI track going to Guitar Rig may be recorded and manipulated just like any other MIDI track. It may be recorded at the same time as the Kontakt track but it does not have to be.

• Like 1

I probably should have mentioned this in my last post.

There is no need to have Guitar Rig on a dedicated audio track.

I assume from the track view image the two audio tracks contain different instruments from Kontakt and only one of them uses the ampsim.