W10 update 2004 flavour

Hey, however my fellow former/present psychedelic ranger tech loonies in Redmond and Santa Clara want to put it, seriously, kudos to designing an AI that looked at a repurposed business productivity desktop that was originally designed to run Windows 7, sports a PCI (hold the "e") Firewire card from heaven knows when, a video card from 2009 with a driver from 2015, and the most crucial bit, a pair of daisy-chained prosumer audio interfaces that date back to the George W, Bush administration and said "hold off on this system, maybe it's not ready for the latest whiz-bang update."

35 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

without reading further down the thread, this means your hardware needs device driver updates before it's ready for the windows update - "device" always means the hardware

Might be nice if they gave you a clue which device(s)...

16 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

without reading further down the thread, this means your hardware needs device driver updates before it's ready for the windows update - "device" always means the hardware

So you mean all someone needs to do to stave off their Windows 10 forced updates is have hardware with non-updateable drivers? 😄

See my last post for the list of peripherals that might be scaring Microsoft. As New Order's fellow Mancunians 10cc once said, "Oooooh, you'll wait a long time for me." Well, better that than killing my system or having my system work with whatever dipsy-doodle new features they want everyone to have but no longer recognize my video card or 10 channel I/O interface.

3 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

So you mean all someone needs to do to stave off their Windows 10 forced updates is have hardware with non-updateable drivers? 😄

See my last post for the list of peripherals that might be scaring Microsoft. As New Order's fellow Mancunians 10cc once said, "Oooooh, you'll wait a long time for me." Well, better that than killing my system or having my system work with whatever dipsy-doodle new features they want everyone to have but no longer recognize my video card or 10 channel I/O interface.

i mean they're using "device" to refer to your collection of integrated hardware, nothing more, nothing less

10cc are from stockport

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm getting the same message that my device isn't ready, and I'm kind of glad it isn't. I just upgraded to W10 and am still trying to diagnose my new dropout issues. The last thing I need are BSOD from an update.

Do we know if the issues with ver 2004 are related to DAW hardware or CW?

Both my desktop and laptop are still "not ready" for the update, and just for the heck of it I clicked on the "learn more" link and determined that the likely cause in both cases is the elderliness of their nVidia graphics drivers. Both are running 342 (the latest available for the hardware from nVidia) while the earliest driver that Windows 10 2004 is okay with is 358.

So there you have it: in order to defer the 2004 update, stick an older nVidia card in your system.

I can tell you that there are a lot of Dell laptops with nVidia Quadro 310's out there. The Latitude 6400 series, for instance. Fine with me if nVidia and/or Microsoft have to come up with a new driver for us.

Ditto - GT610 IIRC which isn't supported by the latest nVidia drivers.  I don't want to have to drop £40+ to replace a video card which is more than adequate just to update Windows...I think it'll probably get resolved but I'm in no rush 🙂

Here is something bizarre.  My studio PC is dual boot with one being only for music creation and one for only internet related functionality.  The intent is to keep my music portion relatively off the Internet.

The Internet partition/drive installed 2004 just fine with zero issues.  The music partition/drive  failed and rolled back twice (so happy the rollback worked fine).  Now strange is that ?  Same OS, exact same hardware, exact same everything.  The only truly difference - and I really doubt this will make a difference - is that my music partition resides on an M2 while my Internet partition resides on an SSD.

Pretty strange, yes ?

Edited by Greg Wynn
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

Nope, 1909 is stable for me.

J

I kind of feel the same, but I usually like to at least try out the latest release, and if it's problematic I just re-image from a backup.

As it stands now though, it won't let me upgrade at all.

I even tried pulling out all of my PCI cards and uninstalling all my drivers, and generally cleaning up the driver mess of old stuff that had been hanging around.

This solved the driver BSOD on the upgrade, but I got a different BSOD instead...

So it's 1909 for the foreseeable future for me.

Same here, no joy.  I tried to install it first on my HP Envy laptop which has absolutely nothing strange on it - just MS Office.  The install stalled for ever on 86% so I cold booted and it rolled back to 1903.  Tried again a couple of days later, a tantalising 97% then stalled again.   I got no error messages during all this waste of time.   I can't be bothered with it any more. 

I won't be attempting to install it on my studio PC until I feel confident it will work.  We can't be the only ones with this problems; is Microsoft saying or doing anything??  If not, millions will not only never be able to move on from 1909 but will never be able to move on to anything ever.

• 1 month later...

On 1903 here. I "checked for updates" a while ago to install 1909; it didn't appear as available, but didn't tell me my computer wasn't ready. Then again, it seems Microsoft itself wasn't a fan of the update, so maybe they just decided to let it die a quiet death while they prepared 2004. Or something like that.

Edited by Craig Anderton

MSoft are certainly having problems with it.   A few weeks ago it disappeared as an offering from my 'Windows Update' information.  A couple of days ago it reappeared as available so I held my breath and gave it a go on my studio PC.  All worked ok, although I haven't done recording for a while so I don't know if it has messed anything up Cakewalk-wise.  Time will tell.   (So far I haven't seen a single features change that could possibly be of remote interest to me. ) I did get one pop up at the very end about communication with my printers being a possible threat (?) and it asked did I want the PC to communicate with them - so I clicked yes of course.    I replaced my studio PC nine months ago, so maybe that's why the update went ok.  On my HP laptop, about seven years old, it got all the way and hung at 94% of installation, so I turned it off and on again and it reverted to 1909.  Oddly, I updated a very old clunky Toshiba laptop and it was happy to update that although it took about ten hours.

Like a lot of people, I Googled the installation hanging problem and there are 'solutions' online, but they are all horrendously complex and I'm not head of a company IT department or have a degree in programming, so I left it.  MSoft must be aware that there are millions of computers not going up to 2004, and therefore not going up to whatever comes after that as things get more and more tangled up.  They need to better communicate about this and sort it out.