W10 update 2004 flavour

Exactly the same happened to me today.... twice.... a complete waste of 3 hours.

The first time it failed with a driver issue. So I downloaded the Windows Upgrade utility, shut down and removed all my PCI cards, unplugged all USB devices and tried again.

Failed again with the same driver issue. Never did find out what driver was the issue.

It rolled me back to 2019.09, but I've just finished restoring my backup , as I don't fully trust the uninstall.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

Anyone tried it ? Meet any problems ? 

when i tried updating it hit a couple of BSOD’s and then (luckily) rolled back to where it started from. Ouf !!!

That’s me finished with it.

Jerry

Yes, I'm an insider so I get to test it out before it get's released.  So far all good. At first i had dreadful slow online. It reminded me of win xp if not "98."

I did the release and renew with netsh. Increased my virtual memory/ "paging" (physical ram size × 1.5) nothing changed. Disconnected from the wifi and found out the my laptop is running as suppose to. 

Uninstalled some software , connect back online - same thing.  Checked for more unnecessary programs just to find out that, if I have more than one browser with Edge installed -- I get this problem. Doesn't matter which browser I use alone, it runs smooth. So there's a clash issue amongst dominance for default space occurring some where.

I did report this to Microsoft. No feedback yet, but there's a lot of users complaining yet again about slow internet as 4 years back with the 1609 build. 

With that being said . . . give it a shot. You might not have any issues. Different machines = different firmware, hardware, drivers and of course -- personal use of software.

Ps: Make those backups. 🤘

Edited by Will_Kaydo

My device "isn't ready" according to my Settings page.

Interesting way to put it. My computer is going to sit here, and nothing at all about its configuration is going to change between now and when Microsoft finally pushes out an update that will reliably not result in my 7-year-old Optiplex going casters-up.

Yet somehow it's my device that "isn't ready" and not the update. Fascinating.

I'm trying to work this out on a metaphysical level. The computer is sitting here, plugged into the internet, waiting for the update to arrive. It would seem to be the epitome of "readiness" as in "ready when you are, update."

The only way this makes sense is if Microsoft's update already exists in the future in a state of readiness, and my computer hasn't yet arrived in that future. The update is waiting for my computer to arrive where it is. Not where in space, but where in time. To arrive when it is. The update and the computer will come together at the point of readiness.

It's like the "bro speak" expression "I'm there!" where the bro is so enthusiastic about a proposed activity that he verbally projects himself in time and space to the scene of the activity. The update is, literally, "there." My computer is still "here."

But, actually, they don't explicitly say that it's not the update that's "not ready." Perhaps it's as I have said, and "ready" describes the point of their convergence, but they only differ in that the update still remains in a state of change. Yes! The update is in a state of change, the computer is not. When the update is no longer in a state of change, it will be ready, and as yin becomes yang, it will cease to change and then the computer will start to be in a state of change.

Mind. Blown.

This must have something to do with that microdosing that is so popular with people in the tech industry these days.

(really, really glad that they're being cautious about rolling it out after reading your tales of BSOD's and pulled expansion cards)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It rolled me back to 2019.09, but I've just finished restoring my backup , as I don't fully trust the uninstall.

Based on my experience with several other failed Windows 10 update attempts, the so-called "Rollback" did not restore my pre-failed update settings. On several occasions the most obvious signs were BSODs mostly coming from my usb 2x2 midi interface drivers, but sometimes others related to my PCI audio card drivers.  In fairness to Windows 10, these are older devices that Windows 10 might not have current drivers for--even though they work when I install the manufacturer's drivers  manually. 

On several occasions I have uninstalled the devices and the drivers (even checking "hidden devices and deleted the drivers that might be there).  Also, I suspect that in my case part of the issue is that I have multiple 2x2 midi interfaces from the same manufacturer.  On several occasions I have re-connected and reinstalled them one-by-one (with a PC reboot in between).  That seems to work to prevent BSODs, until after an "ordinary" Windows 10 update.  

I have never been sure if Windows' Compatibility Telemetry (or some other "protect-the-consumer-from-him-or-herself" process says, "I don't like this device and/or driver)" and changes my system.  😛   So I usually just assume its my older PC and devices.  But when I see others with somewhat similar experiences, maybe its not just my system. 

Edited by User 905133
"sign was" -> "signs were"
  • Like 1

I'm following the advice from https://www.askwoody.com/, so I've changed the Windows Update advanced settings to defer security updates by about 10 days, and the half yearly feature updates by 180 days. That should save a lot of trouble, as any problematic updates can be fixed or withdrawn by Microsoft before my computer downloads them.

So I guess I'll be getting the 20.04 update in November :)

• Like 2

Ya, I saw the “your computer isn’t ready for this” (paraphrased) message this morning.

Pretty cool I just built it in January and it’s an i9 9900, 32 gig 3400 ram, all latest and greatest good stuff with the exception of my interface.

i do wonder if it’s freaking out about my MOTU Track16 usb but I’m not gonna mess with it as it’s been flawless for years. Well done, Microsoft.  Take the rest of the day....

Edited by Greg Wynn
  • Like 1

I have four computers successfully upgraded to Windows 10 2004, but I also have two computers with multiple failures upgrading to Windows 10 2004 that I have given up on, and two computers that I haven't risked attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 2004.  I will wait at least until "Update & Security" tells me that the remaining four computers are ready before I will waste any more time on them.  As an example, one of the failed computers Blue Screened around 75% installed with 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation.  The other failed computer Blue Screened during installation with a Memory Management stop code.  Both have older AMD graphics cards that no longer get new driver updates made available from AMD.  One is a desktop and one is a laptop.  Just one of several theories...

Edited by Brian Nixon

Well, that's exactly why I prefere offline installations! But nowadays this gets more and more difficult each day, because there are so many software providers that rely on fxxxing online installation/autorisation! And you never can trust Microsoft, they always change some of your settings in any new release! But this is the future, the 21st century, progress, ... I hate it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

Well even MS are saying don’t update......

my roll back was successful (which surprised me ) but its 1 hr of my life i won.t ever get back.

why can’t they get it right for the majority ? 

jerry

My rollback surprisingly worked fine.

I get this error (0xc1900223) on trying to run the update - after running through the "getting ready" phase, which seems to mean "nothing wrong, try again later".   Helpful, eh?

But on re-opening the Update settings tab, I now get the same as Erik above with a nice little picture.  How cute.

Edited by Kevin Perry

And this is why you do not update to the latest and greatest when it comes to operating systems, especially Microsoft. What was the old saying? Wait until service pack two at least before upgrading! 😂

I have Windows updates turned off completely because of problems like this. Issues like this May update have cost me more hours reinstalling Windows than I care to remember.

I think I will wait another couple of months and see how things unfold before I do the upgrade. 🤓

Edited by zaquria
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yet somehow it's my device that "isn't ready" and not the update. Fascinating.

without reading further down the thread, this means your hardware needs device driver updates before it's ready for the windows update - "device" always means the hardware